Taking your own tray to the HAL Lido Deck

sands28

I have designed and built a custom fold up tray specifically for Lido dining.It folds down to 7" X 10"....about the size of a new 'netbook' computer. It comes in four designer high-gloss colours and has a built in ashtray in one corner. I figure that handles the tray AND smoking issues adequately.

Does it also have a cupholder, Daily Program sleeve, slot for my camera, and an outlet to charge my BlackBerry?

To read this again. I like to hear about the various designs and desires involved. My mind keeps ever-changing on this matter. It appears that many people need them and so they should be available. This isn't a subject like smoking where people scream at each other. This is a thoughtful dialogue mostly and there is some humor involved. Like Candy's post, for instance. And Pipedreams! He's a blast. Have a good day.:)

... very often on sea days I like to take lunch from the lido to my balcony and now I am thinking this will not be possible.

I was thinking of saving a tray from a room service order to use for this purpose, but then I think I may feel foolish being the only one with a tray in the lido.

Using the small silver tray that is normally under the ice bucket and glasses would help for a small lunch. We intend to use that to bring back breakfast coffee and pastry.

Before somebody jumps on this: NO, I do NOT want to "just order room service". I want to go to the Lido, make my pastry selections, and fix my coffee just the way I want it ... and bring it back to my balcony. :)

catl, you can get a nice carafe of coffee from room service, and they bring all the "stuff" with it. Just a friendly suggestion, that way you don't have to worry about your cup of coffee getting cold by the time you reach your cabin or sloshing it while walking.

Next April will be my first cruise on HAL since this "no tray" policy. I can see I will need a lot of trips back and forth (or will Hal supply me with a server) I like to get the small plates of food and I love to try a "little" of just about everything. So I usually have a cup of soup, small plate for salad and small plate for food. Then I get a drink and a cup of coffee along with my dessert. ON Celebrity I always use a tray and then one of the staff carries it for me back to the table. Very convenient. I sure wish HAL would go back to the good old days of trays! Though its not going to happen.

Do you think one of the staff will walk with me down the line and hold the little plates as I go? What do people use if they want to eat lunch out by the pool? Do they put the plates on the lounge chairs? Very strange with no tray to carry.

My solution was - and I'm not saying it was the best idea, but it got the job done - to stack. Place a second clean plate upside down on top of your entree, then stack your beverages or side dish on top of that. I either made it to an open table/the pool/my balcony precariously on my own, or a crew member who did not want to see the stack fall would generously offer to help me. I didn't even have to ask. :)

I have designed and built a custom fold up tray specifically for Lido dining.It folds down to 7" X 10"....about the size of a new 'netbook' computer. It comes in four designer high-gloss colours and has a built in ashtray in one corner.

I figure that handles the tray AND smoking issues adequately.

Will you sell me one of those? Preferably red

catl, you can get a nice carafe of coffee from room service, and they bring all the "stuff" with it. Just a friendly suggestion, that way you don't have to worry about your cup of coffee getting cold by the time you reach your cabin or sloshing it while walking.
No, as I said: I want to go to the Lido, make my pastry selections, and fix my coffee just the way I want it ... and bring it back to my balcony. I put my coffee in a thermal mug, so it won't get cold or slosh. :)

I wonder if there are staff in the Lido who would help you transport your lunch to your room?

Ha ha ha .....on a HAL cruise in the future I would have been counting on a tray due to an injury. When they say its to cut back on wasting water etc etc sorry whats the water about ...isnt the sea water on the ship converted to fresh water on the ship Forgive my ignorance. Maybe Im wrong I thought they converted sea water into fresh water??? so where is the waste there?? also they could work out a way to put the trays at the side of the dishwashers Im sure their huge industrial dishwashers are adaptable to many many items. Just a bit more manpower to wash they can use which Im sure they do use anyway a special wash detergent eco friendly.

Fancy inconveniencing a whole lot of passengers who are juggling plates or running backwards and forwards to get the next course:rolleyes:

Especially older folks who need help

Well as for jsmc4 I hope they carry your lunch for you to your cabin and I hope they dont drop it on the way:D

BRING BACK TRAYS !!

TRAY FAN FOREVER HA HA HA:D;)

My solution was - and I'm not saying it was the best idea, but it got the job done - to stack. Place a second clean plate upside down on top of your entree, then stack your beverages or side dish on top of that. I either made it to an open table/the pool/my balcony precariously on my own, or a crew member who did not want to see the stack fall would generously offer to help me. I didn't even have to ask. :)

thats very admirable of you but why should you have to even do this to be a convenience to HAL who are being very silly (not conservative) about food trays !!!

what if the stack did fall and passenger hurt themselves or there were broken plates everywhere and all because HAL have made this decision. (touch wood hope it never happens)

bring back trays yeah... tray advocate ...I might go with another line in the future who have some common sense regarding catering!!

Otherwise HAL pls dont put passenger safety in jeopardy with slip ups and hot food and beverages accidents !!! which just might occur with many many people dining out on decks and at the LIDO.

Thankyou just my opinion...pls dont flame me...

HAL MARINER.. PRINCESS.. CUNARD LOTS OF THEM TOO MANY TO BRAG ABOUT (HA HA):D

This whole no-tray business has come up since our last cruise where there were trays so I was kind of surprised when I saw the threads about it here. I'm still kind of scratching my head figuring out how this is a good idea. I kind of have this vision of my typical breakfast with a plate, a bowl of fruit, maybe another little plate with danish/rolls, a glass of juice, and a cup of coffee. It could be a tray full for sure. So now, without a tray, do I have to make several trips back and forth to put together my breakfast? Maybe it'll be just fine but how kind of escapes me right now.

PS - As for saltwater to freshwater conversion. I've been told that they don't run the conversion process as much as we might think and that in fact when given the choice they fill their fresh water tanks in port. I've actually seen big tanker trucks clearly labeled as fresh water on docks hooked to HAL ships. Other ports have fresh water piped to the dock so no need for the trucks but they still top off their fresh water tanks. It must be cheaper or quicker to take on fresh water than convert saltwater even though they have the capability. Anybody know for sure????

It must be cheaper or quicker to take on fresh water than convert saltwater even though they have the capability. Anybody know for sure????
Yes, cheaper is the main reason, both in terms of fuel needed for the desalinization and the lifetime of the equipment. :)

Yes, cheaper is the main reason, both in terms of fuel needed for the desalinization and the lifetime of the equipment. :)

That makes sense. We were actually on the old Celebrity Galaxy, our one cruise on the "dark side", when they asked that we be careful with our water consumption. Apparently they were having trouble keeping up with the demand and we noticed they hooked up to a dock line or tanker trucks whenever we docked. I didn't pursue the issue to ask if the desalinization equipment was down or just slow. The Galaxy was getting a bit long in the tooth and in need of a major drydock so several things on the ship weren't working real well.

I also wonder if part of the decision related to the massive quantities of wasted food. Personally, it was always repugnant to see people piling these large trays full of food and walking away from the table with half of it uneaten... but then hitting the desserts on the way out.. this is one of my biggest pet peeves. Gluttony.

It's not like there is going to be a cruise ship famine or anything... :confused:

Totally agree. Of course I grew up with two Depression Era parents and the rule in our house was take what you want but eat what you take. That's just part of me and I used the same rule with my child. While I'm musing about carrying my typical breakfast without a tray it's not like I have it heaped up with a little bit of everything and then just pick through it, leaving a lot on the plate when I'm done.

Totally agree. Of course I grew up with two Depression Era parents and the rule in our house was take what you want but eat what you take. That's just part of me and I used the same rule with my child. While I'm musing about carrying my typical breakfast without a tray it's not like I have it heaped up with a little bit of everything and then just pick through it, leaving a lot on the plate when I'm done.

I think my DH is going to miss the tray at breakfast. He is a big breakfast eater, omelette, toast, hash browns, sausage, fruit, coffee - sometimes even danish or pancakes..:eek: But he eats it all. It's going to hard for him to juggle all of it, but I'll help - I'm a fruit and cereal girl, for the most part. :)

We were onboard earlier this month and there were a couple of people using the "silver" tray from beneath the cabin ice bucket. Not sure if there is a tray on all ships but there was on the Prinsendam. Also not sure who cleaned the trays after they were used.

No trays in the Lido ?? I was not aware of this. We had the use of them on the Noordam in February. I hate to think of the many trips I will need to make getting everything I need at breakfast. Its probably a feeble attempt to discourage people from eating as much as they do on a cruise. I guess they have been unable to think of a way of charging extra for food in the Lido. If I can find a tray, I will use it. Also, we enjoy having coffee, etc., at poolside and we will continue to do so.

We were onboard earlier this month and there were a couple of people using the "silver" tray from beneath the cabin ice bucket. Not sure if there is a tray on all ships but there was on the Prinsendam. Also not sure who cleaned the trays after they were used.

Please forgive my cousin,he also wore his robe to the "Lido"

randyquaid1.jpg

Archived