Costa Maya Shore Excursion HELP

Hi... All...

My wife and I are going on Rapsody out of Galvestion Jan. 23rd and they have changed our itinerary from Grand Caymna to Costa Maya and we are not sure what if any shore excursion to take. I can't handle any rough trip because of an disk problem in my neck so those are out. Please tell us if there is any shore excursions worth the money in this port. We have been to Costa Mayo last Nov. but didn't book any excursion because we didn't have any info about the port in time to book. This will be our second trip on Rapsody and are excited to be back on her again. We heard from our friends that just got off of her that the new Curtains and carpet have really spruced her up but she was very nice before. Can't imagine her being any nicer. We have pics of her in Oct 2003 if anyone is interested... Thanks in advance for any help with our shore excursion.:D

You can e-mail me at rrmanlht@satx.rr.com

We did the Chachobben Mayan Ruins tour and really enjoyed it. It is a 4 hour total tour - 45 minute bus ride (airconditioned!) each way and there really was not a lot of walking involved. You can choose to climb the steps of the ruins or not.

All of our tablemates took a short cab ride to Mahahual (sp?) a small fishing village about 5 miles from the pier. My understanding is that there is a nice beach, restaurant/bars and shops in the area.

Have you checked out the Costa Maya ports of call board? I got lots of good info there before our recent Rhapsody cruise.

We went to CM in Nov after Rhapsody came out of drydock. We shopped in the am and then rented a gas powered golf cart. We split the cost with another couple which was $15/hr. We rented it for 3 hours and it was plenty.

We went to Mahahual and found a little grass hut that had beer and chairs on the beach. Drank a couple of beers and lay on the beach and just relaxed. Had a blast.

We have pics in our webshots in our sig.

take the 5 minute ride to Mahahual. Once there you can do a little shopping, go to the beach, or drink a few adult beverages. You can also walk down to the end of the shopping area to the Pez Quadro and get the best massage you ever had. It was $30.00 for 40 minutes of pure heaven. It will probably make your back feel better too........ Bon Voyage

We stayed right there at the port where the shops, music and restaurants are and had a lovely time. There's a pool there also and plenty of people from all the cruises. Small beach area to bathe so another option for you but like someone else said, stop by the Costa Maya thread for more info. Here is the link http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=169

I had been there once before and did a long mayan ruin tour. I was a good tour but a bit long. We just got back and this time I did a lot of reading on CC and found good reviews of Mahuhual. We did the quick 3 dollar ride there but not sure what to expect. The CC people were right. I was simple and a lot of fun. The shopping was larger than what I expected and if you started at $50, you ended at $10. What a bargin. Then we stopped at a little place on the beach and had fajitas. It was also great. In short, I also put in a vote to keep it simple and head to Mahuhual.

We will be back next Xmas and will head to Mahuhual in a heartbeat. Our snorkel cruise boat was cancelled due to rough weather, I am glad it was.

:D Well.. I have gotten a lot of information and I think we have a plan. Sounds like a lazy day at Mahahual is just what the doctor ordered. The food, drinks, and the massages are just what we will need. Our family will be with us...Sister, Brother in Law, Mom and her friend will enjoy this laid back day. The food choices sound great. We are really looking forward to our cruise Jan. 23rd... we love Rapsody .... she is a great ship.... Thanks again for all the help..:D

was just in costa maya during xmas week on the jewel. we did the "jungle beach break". for 18.00 a person, a bus took us for a half hour ride to a really nice beach. it wasn't too crowded and we were able to get chairs. my suggestion is that you get there by 10:00 because by noon several other boats had arrived and the place became packed. there are paddle boats, jet skis, kayaks and food. i would recommend it.

Thanks cruzobsessed,

We have a plan now and are going to get there before 10am .... sounds like a great day at the beach. Beer .... food ... Beer ..... food .... Beer .... what could go wrong.....LOL:D

We did the 4X4 dune buggy adventure and it was a blast! Your guide leads you thru town and you end up on a secluded beach where you can have drinks & eats and relax on the beach. Then you get back in the buggy and follow the guide back to port. It was really interesting because the guide takes you thru a small town and it really makes you appreciate everything you have. The children in the town are so happy, yet have so little. Highly recommend! Oh, and men love driving the buggies!

:D Thanks again for all the help.. we do have a plan .... but can't do any 4X cars.... I have a disk problem and the Doc said no more 4X rides .... bummer ... I would have really enjoyed that..Thanks anyway

Costa Maya was very cool! The shopping village had some good deals on jewelry if you wanted to haggle. There were also plenty of handi-crafts and typcial tourist goods. Weren't too pushy which is always good when browsing for fun! I loved the bars and the great food, loved the pool in the shopping area. As others have said, if you want a beach day, get out early and head to the right of the shopping area. There is a rocky beach with limited space but is very beautiful.

Little tip - if you go to the bars, talk to the bartenders and/or owners. We spoke to one guy and he wound up being the owner. He gratiously offered us a ride around outside of the village on his golf cart to take us to the non-tourist shopping area and to see the "other" beach. Very cool and very unexpected but VERY appreciated.

We also did the Jungle Beach Break...what a great day! Take the early bus, the last bus back is at 2 PM. The beach was fairly empty,when we were there last week. There's an open bar...water sports, and if you're hungry you can buy lunch. Costa Maya was one of our favorite stops!:D

take the 5 minute ride to Mahahual. Once there you can do a little shopping, go to the beach, or drink a few adult beverages. You can also walk down to the end of the shopping area to the Pez Quadro and get the best massage you ever had. It was $30.00 for 40 minutes of pure heaven. It will probably make your back feel better too........ Bon Voyage

Mahahual is GREAT. Just like being in a Corona commercial. There are lots of tables next to the water. Very laid back and rustic (in a good way). The pier area is too touristy for me. Look in the "ports of call" area of cruise critic for more infor on Costa Maya/Mahahual. We've only been there once but its out new favorite spot!

Mahahual is GREAT. Just like being in a Corona commercial. There are lots of tables next to the water. Very laid back and rustic (in a good way). The pier area is too touristy for me. Look in the "ports of call" area of cruise critic for more infor on Costa Maya/Mahahual. We've only been there once but its out new favorite spot!

Euphoria11

Thanks again for all the help.... From what everyone has posted it sounds like a great place ... My sister and her hushband are so excited at being in a layed back place. There lives get pretty hectic sometimes and to have a peaceful vacation is GOD SENT. And if it truly is like a Corona commerical...... what a treat it will be....lol............ GOD BLESS YOU ALL>>>> and GOD BLESS OUR TROUPS...

just back, see my thread. anyway, majahual is not a booming city. very primative, but the people are very very friendly. be sure to do the hotel massage, the hotel across from pez quadro. gals said it was the best they ever had. the village is a small fishing village and very laid back. we found a few chairs on the beach and sat and enjoyed the sun and the water. looking forward to returning again. cab fare is $2 per person. i imagine in a few years costa mayo will be very developed. enjoy your cruise and i know you will enjoy the rhapsody, she is a terrific ship.

We were there a few years and going again 2/13 on EOS. We just stayed by the pool(there is a HUGE pool) with fountains ans sprays in the port. A shopping mall built around the pool area and a nice resturant/bar where we had lunch. Lots fo fun

Is there a shuttle right off the boat to the end of the pier or is there a lot of walking to get to where everything is?

We will be traveling with my mother and aunt who cannot walk very much and probably will not be able to do any ports but thinking this might be one they could do.

Any help would be great!

Thanks

Is there a shuttle right off the boat to the end of the pier or is there a lot of walking to get to where everything is?

We will be traveling with my mother and aunt who cannot walk very much and probably will not be able to do any ports but thinking this might be one they could do.

Any help would be great!

Thanks

Yes beechparty, there is a cute shuttle that takes you from there to the end of the pier. Once you get off, you can just walk around and enjoy the stores and restaurant along with music and show. We stayed there and enjoyed it very much.

Archived