Will We Need Suits/Skins?

StillPooh

DH and I won't be diving this cruise, but we will be doing several hours of snorkeling and an open ocean dolphin encounter. What are the early October surface temperatures like in the Bahamas? I wasn't planning to bring wetsuits, but under 78 degrees, DH will be unhappy.

I hope someone comes in to answer you. I was actually going to post the same question. But, I'll be in Cozumel the very end of October and wondering if I should pack the skins. Guess if we don't hear back, I'll still pack them just in case. :)

Hope this was not hijacking your post.... didn't intend to do so.

Take'm. You won't be unhappy to be warm and protected from UV rays.

Personally, I have a low tolerance for being cold, so the question I usually ask myself is "3mm or 5mm?" I've never been disappointed wearing the 5mm but I have been too cold in the 3mm.

I always take my full dive skin and shorty 3mm wetsuit. I'm with Bruce. I like being protected from the sun and warm. In Hawaii in May, I took those and they weren't enough. Had to put on a full 3mm suit. But I was warm. lol. And I don't get cold easily unless it's multiple dives like we do in Calif. But once cold, I'm miserable.

DH and I won't be diving this cruise, but we will be doing several hours of snorkeling and an open ocean dolphin encounter. What are the early October surface temperatures like in the Bahamas? I wasn't planning to bring wetsuits, but under 78 degrees, DH will be unhappy.

The water temp in the Bahamas is low year round.

At Nassau, my upper torso beacame chilled after about 30 minutes. I got back in the boat to warm up before returning.

I since bought a rash guard shirt. It works really well in colder water, and takes up little luggage space. It also provides some UV protection, as well as warding off the little stingy guys.

http://marine.rutgers.edu/mrs/sat_data/?bm=10&bd=1&by=2008&sort=date&em=10&ed=31&ey=2008&region=bahamas&product=sst&nothumbs=0&okb.x=52&okb.y=14

I went ahead and sprang for some lined Henderson jumpsuits at scuba.com that are warmer than plain skins, but still neutrally buoyant. DH had to give up on snorkeling after only half an hour the first cruise we had to the Bahamas, and I don't want him having his fun ruined again. I got one for me just for sun and stingy thing protection. We can always use them under wetsuits for diving. :D

I agree with the others in always wearing at least a skin to protect you from the sun UV rays and any small sea critters that you may encounter. The water in the Bahamas is not the same as further south such as Cozumel. If you are snorkeling, the sun beaming down will keep you somewhat warm but probably not warm enough for extended periods in the water. Take a hint from the surfers who all wear wetsuits.

I'm going to be scuba diving at Costa Maya, Roatan, and Grand Caymans over Christmas. I'm a newbie at this and will be getting my certification just two weeks before leaving on the cruise. What type and thickness of suit would you guys recommend for those areas in December?

Archived