11 CCL ships out of FL - 3 in CA???

AZ Karaoke Girl

Well California (unemployment) is also at 12.2 percent. So I think its kind of hard for people to go on a cruise vacation when they don't even have a job.

All the more reason for Carnival to reposition a ship away from the area. They need to go where the money is.

That said, I think Carnival would do well to broaden their product offering rather than simply try to get a ship stationed every 300 miles down the east coast. While Charleston is a great idea allowing even more folks to drive to the port, I'd take a single Fantasy class or Spirit class ship (cause they are smaller) and reach deeper into the Caribbean on 10-14 day loops.

Princess certainly offers it. Wonder if that is a product offering CCL is considering?

You're running into CCL's product differentiation here. They don't want to offer the same product on Carnival that they do on Princess, HAL, Cunard, etc. Each line has its market niche and strategy, and CCL's goal is to get young people to start on Carnival and move their way up the chain as they get older and theoretically wealthier.

I notice that the Eastern routes from Florida are NOW heavy on Grand Turk and Half Moon Key...which are Carnival Money Makers

It is too bad that Carnival never set up a "private island" type deal on the West Coast of Mexico...I bet that would improve their revenues

People like the no hassle of the private islands...

and it is a pure moneymaker for the cruiselines

On a lesser scale, Carnival also has the Pier in Costa Maya...and supposedly they are doing a similar deal in Roatan Honduras

I really think these ports produce a good revenue for them for the Florida sailings

I notice they are not doing much of the old "san juan, st thomas, st martin" route..it is all Half MoonKey and Grand Turk....cha ching!!!

If you all are so bored with the same ole, same ole on the shorter cruises ... that's probably the problem, so are others and Carnival just isnt getting the bookings it needs. Iv read so many here say how boring the ports are on the short cruises.

It depends on the itinerary........if I had the time and the money I could do a short cruise to Cabo monthly and never be bored.....

But I will never sail on the short cruise to Ensenada again and I have never had a desire to take a cruise ship to Catalina Island when we can just take a ferry across:p:D That one I never understood....

It is the difference between Freeport and Half Moon Key...both are part of the Bahamas...but most people want to go to Half Moon Key

Freeport is 50 miles away from Fort Lauderdale...many of us here have been there on day cruises that go and come back the same day....over the years these day (gambling) cruises "certificates" have been given out as "bonus" at jobs, from businesses....like when you buy carpet or get a quote on insurance they give you a cruise

we used to pay port fees and sail over to Freeport

(this is also a test if you get seasick or not as both Discovery and Sea Escape rock and roll...not much stablilizing stuff there haha)

You can extend your vacation in a hotel and then pick up the ship (ferry) back a day or two later

The Discovery is still plowing back and forth to Freeport....I once got a free discovery cruise simply for buying a dinner at a ribs house in Fort Lauderdale.

I live in one of the "crazy" suburbs of Ft Lauderdale that once made news because they gave everyone who voted on election day a "free" Discovery cruise to nowhere or to Freeport LOL....that was wacky

So visiting Freeport has very little appeal to me...but Half Moon Key would be great

I still wonder...why not set up a private island in California/Baja Mexico that their ships could stop at...lots of revenue for the cruiseline in the private islands

No sympathy from my fellow Evil Krewe member! ;)

I have supported them. Half of my cruises have been out of California. And I was waiting patiently to see Elation's Cabo schedule for next year so I could book. .

Hey Colleen, we are booked on Elation for April 2010. It's a 2 day itin in Cabo, and the price was really good.

I think it's one of the last cruises.

Pat

I personally like the Spirit. My favorite ship. I'm booked on it Oct 2010 but it only offers sailings 2 months out of the year when kids are in school. I will sail on the Splendor someday especially since that appears to be our only Carnival option but I've heard things about the ship that aren't all that appealing.

We have sailed on all three ships, and you couldn't pay me to go back on Splendor. plz no flamers ! :D

Do not like the port of San Pedro at all. We discovered that Splendor is not the ship for us. She is very big. Pretty, but big. Service was great, food was great, ship is nice, but just not for us.

I think we are spoiled sailing out of San Diego. We are taking a Cabo run, just for a quick get-away. I will miss the little Elation.

Pat

Freeport is 50 miles away from Fort Lauderdale...many of us here have been there on day cruises that go and come back the same day....over the years these day (gambling) cruises "certificates" have been given out as "bonus" at jobs, from businesses....like when you buy carpet or get a quote on insurance they give you a cruise

we used to pay port fees and sail over to Freeport

Iv done those day cruises for free, within a week of my birthday, on Carnival way back when ... before they counted and I have no proof. If you sailed within a week of your birthday it was FREE and you got the 7 course dinner free. of course they hoped you brought someone with you. It was also often $99, buy 1 get 1 free for a day cruise on Carnival to Freeport.

Im bewildered why anyone from Galveston is all hopped up over going to Freeport .... but I am on my way Sunday, Key West, Nassau and .. yup Freeport. I am so excited lol. I lived in S. Florida until a few years back.

[/b]

I have seen the same low prices but there are alot of people here in California that don't have jobs (as in alot of other places) and therefore can't book vacations right now. Maybe, when and if the economy turns around, people will start booking again and Carnival will send us a new ship!

We have a new ship ! ! The SPLENDOR.:D When you cruised on her, she was Carnival's NEWEST ship.

An older ship granted, but the SPIRIT is a beautiful ship sailing out of San Diego with my favorite ship layout. I cruised the SPLENDOR last week and I would rank the SPIRIT ABOVE the SPLENDOR in desirability.:)

I didn't mean a new ship when I wrote this. The word I should have used was another ship! They are taking a ship out of our area and I am hoping someday they will replace it with another ship not necessarily a new one!:)

We have sailed on all three ships, and you couldn't pay me to go back on Splendor. plz no flamers ! :D

Do not like the port of San Pedro at all. We discovered that Splendor is not the ship for us. She is very big. Pretty, but big. Service was great, food was great, ship is nice, but just not for us.

I think we are spoiled sailing out of San Diego. We are taking a Cabo run, just for a quick get-away. I will miss the little Elation.

Pat

I think you meant the port of Long Beach instead of San Pedro. The Splendor sails out of Long Beach not San Pedro!:)

West coasters are having little cruising options without having to fly long distances. Now that the Elation is gone, we have the Paradise from LA, Splendor from LA and the Spirit that splits San Diego, Seattle and Hawaii. I counted a total of 11 CCL ships that leave from either Miami, Port Canveral, Ft Lauderdale, Jacksonville or Tampa which are all not that far apart. 4 alone sail from Miami.

I understand H1N1 is having an effect on Mexico cruises as well as the violence in Mexico that isn't necessarily in tourist areas. I would certainly be willing to have a cruise to nowhere or go from San Diego northward or something. This just stinks.

Out of Florida, ships can do Bahamas cruises, Eastern Carib., Western Carib., Southern Carib., and Canal partials. Maybe 50 different ports are possible.

Out or Ca. you get Mexico or Mexico, or Mexico. If they put in another half dozen ships they could do,,,,,,,,,,,Mexico!!:rolleyes::D

OK, I think that everybody has chimed in with why there are more ships in FL than in CA but I did want to say that at least the three ships in CA right now are some of Carnival's best in each class.

Up until this week, the Splendor was the newest and largest Carnival ship

ANY spirit class ship is an awesome ship

The Paradise is the newest Fantasy class ship

I'll trade the Fantasy, Holiday and Fascination (my three closest ships) with your three CA ships!

Out of Florida, ships can do Bahamas cruises, Eastern Carib., Western Carib., Southern Carib., and Canal partials. Maybe 50 different ports are possible.

Out or Ca. you get Mexico or Mexico, or Mexico. If they put in another half dozen ships they could do,,,,,,,,,,,Mexico!!:rolleyes::D

Hey! We do the occasional panama canal transit cruises......infact they are offering one in May of 2010:p:D

I think Carnival had no choice but to pull a ship due to lack of interest. Splendor wasnt pulling down decent prices, too low compared to other ships... what would you have Carnival do. If you guys really wanted to save the ship, should have been talking up booking from Calif more.... like us Texans talk up going out of Galveston.

Iv seen some ridiculously low prices out of Calif, so you cant blame Carnival, blame the lack of Calif's booking Carnival ships.

The prices to sail on Carnival are not that much cheaoer maybe by $20.00, but that is besides the point. The East Coast has over 18 ships and the West Coast has 3, 2 of them going to the same ports in Mexico. Why didn't they move one out of Florida that has multiple ships instead of San Diego that only had ONE SHIP.

[/b]

I have seen the same low prices but there are alot of people here in California that don't have jobs (as in alot of other places) and therefore can't book vacations right now. Maybe, when and if the economy turns around, people will start booking again and Carnival will send us a new ship!

California is the hardest hit state in this depression, but when everyone is working they are some of the biggest spenders around.

Why didn't they move one out of Florida that has multiple ships instead of San Diego that only had ONE SHIP.

That sounds good. What itinerary would you suggest besides Mexico ports for a second ship out of San Diego?

Obviously supply and demand do make a difference. If Carnival didnt think they could pull down more money by moving Elation to Charleston (instead of pulling a ship from Florida which would have been a whole lot easier), it wouldnt be doing it.

How many bookings and how profitable a particular ship is do have some bearing on which ships stay in a market. Calif obviously isnt pulling down the right numbers.

I talked to my PVP today and none of those people can figure out this move because she said that the Elation always sails as a full ship, the only thing they can figure is that Charelston gave Carnival an option to use the port that they could not turn down. The PVP said that Carnival has more ships leaving out of Florida that are not full then they do out of California, which I believe her on.

I talked to my PVP today and none of those people can figure out this move because she said that the Elation always sails as a full ship, the only thing they can figure is that Charelston gave Carnival an option to use the port that they could not turn down. The PVP said that Carnival has more ships leaving out of Florida that are not full then they do out of California, which I believe her on.

Seems like if you reduce the prices enough, you can sail full even in this economy. Im sure its more than that. When RCL pulled Rhapsody out of Galveston, which always sailed full, we heard that Texans didnt spend as much on their sign and sail cards (I guess they smuggle more because they live close?). It wasnt that ships didnt sail full, it was how much spending onboard was.

Im sure there are other metrics they measure how profitable cruises are, but I know booze is a big one.

I know the reason I don't even look at doing a cruise out of CA is the time change for us. I don't think I could handle having a scheduled time to eat at 6 or 8:30 which would be 9 or 11:30 our time. I wouldn't be able eat in the MDR room because my stomach would force me to eat way before dinner time :oand I'd be so tired at night I'd miss all the shows:(. The only good thing would be I'd be awake early enough to beat the chair hogs out.:D I just don't think my body could adjust fast enough to make a cruise out of CA worth it.

Give Me A Break, people do this all the time, now what is your next excuse.

Flights into Florida are much cheaper than into California. That could also have something to do with it. Remember, for most everyone, it isn't just the cruise fare. It's also the flight. So, flying into Florida is easier on the wallet than into California.

Not for us that live in Oregon. For me a round trip ticket to Miami would cost close to $1200, where I can take the train to San Diego for $147.00 round trip. Big difference.

Archived