Going on our first cruise!

Lynniepoo

Hubby and I are going on our very first cruise (ever!) on the Diamond Princess, starting in Sydney Australia and docking in Auckland, NZ. We got a room with a private balcony. Cruisers! Tell some first time cruisers what we need to know!!

:confused::eek::rolleyes:

Hubby and I are going on our very first cruise (ever!) on the Diamond Princess, starting in Sydney Australia and docking in Auckland, NZ. We got a room with a private balcony. Cruisers! Tell some first time cruisers what we need to know!!

Congratulations on your first cruise! You will probably be hooked from now on. Relax, enjoy, it's a vacation of a lifetime!

Balcony's are wonderful -- we wouldn't cruise without one now.

Janette

Go without any expectations and have a great time!

Prepare to be hooked! We went for the first time two years ago and the only thing keeping us from going every year (multiple times!) are the pesky factors of money and time.

Take a laid back attitude and have a wonderful time! You are actually going on a cruise I want to take one day - so come back and post your thoughts when it is over.

There is a wealth of information here - and I am sure others much more experienced than I will weigh in with valuable tips.

Have a great time - getting ready is half the fun...

Esmo

You are going to love it! I went from Auckland to Sydney in 2003 in a balcony cabin and it was fabulous. Australia and New Zealand are both wonderful, but I must admit that New Zealand is one of my most favorite places in the world. I would love to live there!:D

Have a great cruise. Enjoy your balcony. I was on the Diamond back in 2004 when it was doing the Mexican Riviera. It is a lovely ship. Definitely check out the aft pool area. It is an adults only pool. It overlooks the wake and is a great place for relaxation and a nice drink! Another, place for a bit of relaxation on a sea day, during the day is Skywalkers Disco. It is on, I think, Deck 18. Of course, during the evening it is a happening place. During the day it is a really nice place to go with a book or cup of coffee and look at the ocean. It also overlooks the wake.

Club Fusion is a fun place to go as well. There will be different things and music events in there. In the late evening there is also a DJ in there playing music.

The Diamond and Sapphire Princess are a couple of Grand Class ships that have the wider Promenade Deck. Therefore, they have full loungers on this Deck. I like to go out on the Promenade Deck a few times each cruise because it gives me the feel of what I think it might have been like sailing many years ago.

Crooners Bar has fabulous martini's. I think over 100 choices. In my 7 Princess Cruises I think I have just scratched the surface. I'm going on a cruise in November and am going to try some martini's I haven't tried previously.

Well, enjoy gathering info over the next months. It is one of the fun parts of cruising!

Congratulations on your first cruise!

I wish I would have starting cruising years ago.

Try new things, this is a special trip. Try new things at dinner.

Have a big breakfast and enjoy the morning watching the ocean.

Even with a balcony, I enjoy going out on the deck and people watch and ocean watch.

Do an activity you've never done...trivia games, bingo, movies under the stars....just get involved. You don't have to do everything, but participating is fun!

Take lots of pictures.

Keep a journal of your adventure.

Don't let negative people, or whiners, affect your cruise.

Leave the stress at the dock when you board. You can pick it back up when you disembark, if you must ;)

Don't expect perfection. Just enjoy and remember each day when you start out, how lucky you are to be on a cruise with your loved one.

The Diamond and Sapphire Princess are a couple of Grand Class ships that have the wider Promenade Deck. Therefore, they have full loungers on this Deck. I like to go out on the Promenade Deck a few times each cruise because it gives me the feel of what I think it might have been like sailing many years ago.

Crooners Bar has fabulous martini's. I think over 100 choices. In my 7 Princess Cruises I think I have just scratched the surface. I'm going on a cruise in November and am going to try some martini's I haven't tried previously.

Well, enjoy gathering info over the next months. It is one of the fun parts of cruising!

We do that too! My mother calls them the "Titanic Loungers,":D Sapphire was our absolute favorite ship, so I know you'll LOVE the Diamond! What a great ship for your first cruise!

Hey Chloedmom, a note from my mother is, you HAVE to try the watermelon martini, she must have had over 20 on our last cruise:p and a note from me, you HAVE to try the "toasted almond" martini, omg! Its SO good! Addicting! And oh my, will you be feeling toasty warm after the first!

To the OP, congrats on your first cruise!!! I remember having no idea of what I was walking into on my first, and being totally blown away at all aspects of the vacation is half the fun! We always bring Lysol and spray down the entire cabin including the balcony furniture and railings, both remotes front and back, door handles and the million light switches you'll find around the room. If you pack EVERYTHING like I do, sunblocks, makeup, lotions, burn creams, medications etc. buy an over the door shoe holder, you can usually get them at the dollar store, fold it up and pack it! Tie it up in your closet and store everything in it, easy to find everything because its clear plastic. How many days is your cruise? Have a great time! I know once you experience it, you'll be planning your next;)

Make sure you look at this section of Cruise Critic: http://www.cruisecritic.com/ftc/

Don't listen to the whiners and don't forget that you don't have to grocery shop, cook or clean up, so enjoy all the wonderful service that you'll have.

You'll be spoiled in no time!

Make sure you come back and let us know how you enjoyed it.

Read the Patter. It will give you the daily events. DON'T attempt to see, do or eat everything on your on your first cruise. I sailed on the Caribbean Princess 3 times and had a new experience each time. Don't feel bad if you have to miss one show to see another. If you follow the Patter and plan your day and evening around the events you enjoy you won't miss a thing.

Read the roll call for your cruise. It is a great way to meet people who share the same interests as you do. Also you will find experienced cruisers who will be able to answer questions about excersions. You may even be able to find a group of people who you can tour with.

Princess is a good choice for a first cruise experience. The ships are beautiful, the crew are friendly and the choice of food and dinning experience are amazing. I suggest the Stardust Martini at Crooners. It is made with Grey Goose, Champaigne, crushed grapes with a grape garnish.

Wishing you sunny days and calm seas.

Snuggle & smooch on your balcony, hold hands, be romantic, relax,

You will find good advice on these boards, Take what works for you and let the rest go

Besides what I have mentioned before our favorite parts for us are;

Port excursions - learning everything we can about the area we are visiting

Meeting new friends & visiting with them

Dining in the dining room, with a large group, for every meal being treated to royal service & an excellent meal we did not have to prepare, serve or cleanup after

Breakfast on your balcony, sipping coffee and watching the ocean go by with your honey.

Dress up and enjoy looking your best for your sweetie.

Nap as often as desired, morning, afternoon, or early evening then go out and have fun!

As others have said, once we tried cruising, we were hooked!

Welcome to the good life!

ps If folks start to be grumbly, walk the other way, don't let them rain on your parade

Remember to bring a multiplug. Cabins only have one electrical outlet.

If they don't put robes in the room you can ask for them.

Pack an alarm clock since there is not one in the room and there are time changes that occur.

Hot tubs are easier to get alone if you go in the evening (people will be eating or going to shows).

Try to look for menus ahead of time so you can plan which night you want to use the specialty dining.

If you want a chair by the pool get there early, some people stake out deck chairs early and they fill up fast.

Relax and remember that a Pina Colada is technically a breakfast food (it has fruit in it).

That the private balconies are not 100% private. :eek: :D

To explore the ship. You'll soon find favorite places to relax, read, get some sun. get some shade, listen to music, eat, drink, play a game, make new friends, escape reality, gamble, be entertained, and enjoy each other.

If you have anytime dining and find a server you enjoy, ask the headwaiter to sseat you at one of his/her tables at dinner.

Make a friend of your cabin steward. They can be so very helpful with little amenities.

Bring fresh flowers aboard.

Bring your favorite wine aboard and enjoy it on your balcony.

Treat all you meet (passengers and crew and everybody in the ports) with respect, courtesy and a big smile.

Don't regret the things you don't get to see or do. But thoroughly enjoy what you do get to see and do.

Have fun!

Lynniepoo,

Congratulations!

We have been reading Cruise Critic just a year or so and the information has been invaluable.

Our first cruise (10 years ago) we did try traditional dining and it was a very fun experience.

On our second cruise last year we went to the dining room a few times but found it to be SO very noisy we couldn’t even hear each other. So we sometimes took evening buffet food to our room and sometimes we ordered in room service and used our balcony for a very lovely breakfast, lunch or dinner.

We have been married for 35 years and still just LOVE each others company so we tend to want to eat alone. We still hold hands and whisper sweet nothings! The first cruise we did the “Formal” thing and decided we did not like it so we have not done it again. Too much to pack for one, and we didn’t like the “Dressing for others and the Dog and Pony show about the evening.” So we now just do our own thing and don’t worry about what everyone else on Cruise Critic seems to think will happen if you wander around the ship without your Evening Gown on during Formal night!

Remember there will be a fraction of people on your ship that have been on CC (Cruise Critic) complaining about “What not to Wear”

We packed way too much on our two cruises…….on our third cruise this past July we took a backpack each and a rolling carry on called Zuca Sport.……http://www.zuca.com/

It made our lives much easier. I wanted to bring souvenirs and t-shirts back so we made use of our new clothes in place of bringing something from home. We also took a fellow CC’s advice and took old socks and anything else that you really could care less about and tossed it at the end of the cruise and it made room for new things!

Bring:

Highlighter for marking on your daily paper what you really don’t want to miss.

Your sense of humor and sense of adventure……..this is your vacation…….there are NO RULES except……….(See attached picture!)

Ultimately, this is YOUR vacation with your hard earned money. Do as YOU please and enjoy every moment.

DSCN0176.jpg.cbdc56f3c20fb96e153c35032c56da7d.jpg

Visit the ports of call section on the board. You will find lots of information about the ports/excursions/things to do and see. Our first cruise was to Mexico and even though we had been several times before on land vacations I found lots of interesting tips for the ports we were visiting.

Take time to download/print the ship's plan so you can begin to become familiar with the ship. One of the most useful tips I picked up before we sailed was that I had to walk to the rear of the ship to find the staircase to our dining room. We would have wandered for awhile if I hadn't read that!

And - what everyone else says - relax, enjoy, be open to the experience.

Esmo

DH and I were on the Diamond this past July (to Alaska), it is a very beautiful ship. We had a balcony room on the Lido Deck (first room next to the bridge on the port side which was a great location). As some of the other posters said - remember to use the "Spa" pool - it is usually empty and in a beautiful spot at the back of the ship. The food was excellent and the crew was great. I am sure you will have a wonderful time. Have fun (tell us all about it when you return):)

Lynniepoo,

Welcome to CC and the best advice is to relax and enjoy your cruise! There are a lot of knowledgable people out there so if you any questions someone will know the answer. We are off on our first princess cruise in a few weeks and really looking forward to it.:D

If there is a board for your particular cruise get on it and meet up with fellow passengers;)

Welcome aboard!

Ted

Archived