International Cafe - your favorites

lovevacadays

[quote name='cubfan63']Besides the incredible Shrimp Salad, I enjoyed the Quiche they had at the International Cafe on the Emerald Princess last month starting at 11 am. They had a different version each day, although it did repeat on our 10-day cruise. I wish they had it at breakfast too.[/QUOTE]

I love the quiche, but it doesn't seem to be on every ship in the IC.

As far as I'm concerned, the IC is Princess' trump card. Horizon Court was a disappointment, but IC more than made up for it. The tomato-mozzarella paninis were wonderful, and the apricot filled beignets were also delish. I had one of each nearly every day. Yummmm!:p

[quote name='TLC535'][B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=#4169e1]@ IC....the best place to grab something quick (and good) without all the crowds, my hubby picked the Plaza deck for our upcoming cruise just to be on the same as IC....LOL:D:p[/COLOR][/FONT][/B]
[/quote]
Thats funny. As far as my DH is concerned All our vacations are based around food. That is why we cruise. So we should get along wonderfully next April. And we are IC lounge lizzards.:D:p
Marion

[quote name='chloedmom']beignets have been mentioned twice. What are they?QUOTE]

Beignets are a french style donut made most popular in New Orleans, LA...do a web search on Cafe Dumonde....depending on where you are from the closest comparison would be a solid piece of funnel cake. It's a very fluffy, bubbly (not filo dough fluffy) square donut that is topped with powdered sugar. They are deep fried....definitely not a fat free food but DELISH!

Enjoy!

:)[FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=4] Hi,[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=4][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=4]Is there an International Cafe on all the ships or just certain ones. Where is it usually located? Don't remember one from our last cruise.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=4][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=4]Thanks, Joyce[/SIZE][/FONT]

Just back after 10 days on Crown Princess Canada and New England. Had read about IC and Vines before cruising and sought them out early on. Generally food is free in these locations but beverages have to be paid for. As has been clarified the gelato ice cream in IC has also to be paid for.

As an alternative there was an ice cream bar in the afternoons by the pizza counter in the pool area - they serve soft whippy ice cream as standard but the day we went the machine had frozen. They have a back up of more traditional ice cream under the counter which was delicious - (be sure to ask for that instead if you don't like soft stuff).

Back to IC. The quiches at IC at lunchtimes, particularly the individual ones which are heated up for you were sublime - made a visit every day when port excursions allowed!. I wouldn't agree with an earlier comment that it was never busy because we certainly had to queue at times to be served.

I would say the chicken salad was a derivation of waldorf salad - chicken, mayonnaise type mix; celery and walnuts. It was also very nice.

Vines was also good. They have something a little bit different where they allow you to try three different wines (50ml of each I think) served in a neat holder with the 3 glasses rising up in the air. It's called a Wine Flight and is around 8 dollars if I remember correctly. They tell you a bit about each wine which are in different combinations of red and white e.g. Italian selection etc. This makes service a little slow as there only ever seemed to be one waitress serving the drinks - a nice girl from Argentina (I think).

The tapas and sushi are freely available every afternoon/evening in Vines and although portions are not huge (we didn't want a lot as we used to pop in for a drink before dinner) they are a perfect sampler of each different food.

We enjoyed IC and Vines very much. Mouth is watering at the thought of all the food right now - enjoy!
Del.

Oh geez, I knew I shouldn't have opened this thread. Now I'm starving! Did I read that right - the IC has beignets, cinnamon rolls, AND chocolate croissants? DH is going to have to drag me out of there! Oh, and I haven't forgotten about the cookies. I'm going to gain 10 lbs. just eating the food at the IC! :eek:

I just had a run on the Golden and think I had the chicken salad and the shrimp salad every day, as well as several quiches and soups throughout the week.

Looking back I realized I never visited the horizon court the whole trip. IC became my casual dining spot.

My only complaint is now that's it's getting popular, there aren't enough tables and chairs in the piazza.

Archived