Cruising with Insulin on Princess

NeurosurgeryNP

Helllo - I was wondering if anyone has traveled with insulin on Princess. It is new to me and I will be cruising on the CB in a month. I know there are fridges in the cabins, but cruising to the Caribbean and being out in hot ports, will require me to freeze gel packs so I can take my insulin on shore to keep it cool, so I can eat if I want to onshore. Is there a place where I can freeze the gel packs? Infirmary? Anyone else had this situation? THanks!

Talk to the doctor in the medical center. Mu wife has to give herself a shot every day and the meds must be kept cool. They store it in the large frig in the Medical center and freeze the ice packs for the trip back home.

THanks very much for the info. I wasn't sure if they would do this. Did you just ask them on the first day of the cruise, or did you have to make arrangements prior to the sailing?

Jen

On my cruise last year I bought the FRIO insulin travel wallet to keep my insulin cool on the plane and the extra I brought on the ship. You activate it with cool water and it keeps just the right temp. for the whole cruise. When it is dry you just reactivate it. I will take it again on my next cruise since it is re-usable. Just let it dry out. It comes in several different sizes to hold a bunch or just a couple vials or pens. I think they even have sized for pump insulins. I bought it online and read the knockoffs aren't as good as the FRIO. I don't refrigerate the pen or vial I am actually using though since my diabetes educator said they last a month not refrigerated once opened and actually work better not cold. If it is very hot out the small FRIO would keep it cool in your purse on an excursion.

My wife goes down the first day. We did not set anything up in advance. The first time we cruised with this med, we had planned to keep it in the room frig, but found it was not dependable. So my wife went to med. center. THey have always been very helpful.

The hours are in the Princess Patter. Usually about 4 or 5 to 6pm and 8 or 9 ro 9 or 10am. good luck

I've been using insulin several times a day for almost 50 yrs and I've found it very easy on the ship but at the hotter ports it can be a problem ashore. Several months ago I added the Frio wallet system and I've found it works much better. It seems to stay cooler for longer than they claim. The insulin is much cooler than one of those gel packs or freezer packs and it will stay cool. I use the refrigerator in the room and use the wallet when I go out and haven't had a problem. Be sure to ask the room steward for a Sharps container.

Cruisin Oldies

Helllo - I was wondering if anyone has traveled with insulin on Princess. It is new to me and I will be cruising on the CB in a month. I know there are fridges in the cabins, but cruising to the Caribbean and being out in hot ports, will require me to freeze gel packs so I can take my insulin on shore to keep it cool, so I can eat if I want to onshore. Is there a place where I can freeze the gel packs? Infirmary? Anyone else had this situation? THanks!

Since you're heading out in just a month you may not be able to find the freezer packs they're suggesting...so just a bit of reassurance: the folks in the infirmary are very helpful, and will make sure your insulin is kept at the right temperature, and whatever freezer packs you end up with will be kept frozen for you, both for day trips and to get home. Just make sure you note the hours the infirmary is open, so you will be sure to have access to your meds. I just head there when I first get on the ship, and make arrangements then.

THanks for all of the replies.

I have the Frio wallet, and recently traveled to Florida with it. Although it is cool, it is not COLD. I am also worried about storing the extra insulin I plan to bring along as a back up that needs to be at a refirgerator temperature. I don't want it to go "bad" or be "cooked" while on shore. The gel packs I have fit into a diabetes travel case and definitely keep very cold for a good 6-8 hours. I do plan to bring the Frio as a back up.

I will definitely try the medical center. SOunds like they are really helpful with things like this.

Sharps container - check. Thanks.

My cruise next May will be my first one since my Dr. started me on insulin; in addition to my two different pills. Fortunately I only have to give myself in injection once a day - at bedtime. It will be interesting though.

When I was first diagnosed as diabetic, I bought myself a MedPort bag. On one side (a zippered compartment) is room for all my testing supplies, and on the other side of the bag is another zippered compartment with room for insulin vials, syringes, as well as frozen gel packs.

My cruise next May will be my first one since my Dr. started me on insulin; in addition to my two different pills. Fortunately I only have to give myself in injection once a day - at bedtime. It will be interesting though.

When I was first diagnosed as diabetic, I bought myself a MedPort bag. On one side (a zippered compartment) is room for all my testing supplies, and on the other side of the bag is another zippered compartment with room for insulin vials, syringes, as well as frozen gel packs.

That's exactly what I have. Works great!

As long as the insulin is used within 28 days it will be okay in the Fios but keep the extra insulin refrigerated below 46 degrees. On the travel day with the airport, plane, etc. I use 2 frozen packs that come with the MedPort and that seems to work. Last summer we went on a 2 week cruise and all the bottles were about out by the time we got home -- that's when we discovered the power had been off for a week and all my reserve supply was bad. Never know.

Have fun. We need to be at the airport at 4 AM tomorrow for a cruise.

Cruisin Oldies

Archived