Live From the Golden...YVR...LA...HI

ccrain

Thanks CCrain great thread. Will be doing it for 2nd time 4/11. Sorta wish we would be in Hawaii now with the snow on and off all day and guess it is going to keep up for a while. So break your coats out.

Thank you so much for this live thread. I have really enjoyed it. My DH and I will soon be doing this trip.

I have a question for you. Did you notice how much the pictures are such as formal,embarkation, port pictures, etc?

I always spend too much on pictures and with this being our first trip to Hawaii as well as first time on Princess, well, probably gonna want the pictures.

I really have to pinch myself that in just over 2 weeks, I will be on this ship going to Hawaii.

Thanks again for taking time to do this live post.

Pam

Pam we didn't take all the photos on our first cruise to Alaska but we did on our second one to Eastern Canada. I think I regret I shorted us on the first one, when I look back at our albums. I don't expect to be making this trip again so I will be getting as many as I can. Besides, since I am the photographer in the family, I'm not usually in the photos:).

Pam we didn't take all the photos on our first cruise to Alaska but we did on our second one to Eastern Canada. I think I regret I shorted us on the first one, when I look back at our albums. I don't expect to be making this trip again so I will be getting as many as I can. Besides, since I am the photographer in the family, I'm not usually in the photos:).

I only bought two on my Alaska trip because Holland charges alot for formal pictures. They sell them in packages such as an 8x10 and a few smaller of the same picture for like 40 bucks. But, for this Hawaii trip and with it being Princess, I hope they have more normal prices for formals(as well as all of the other ones). So, hopefully the op can tell me what to expect. I too would like to buy quite a few from this Hawaii trip.

Thanks so much for your great trip diary, makes me feel like I am along for the ride with you. Since Mario will be on the Crown, which is our next cruise, which dining room? Anytime dining or fixed dining? I get hungry everytime you talk about his wonderful pasta!!

ccrain, again thanks, I am now getting even more excited about this cruise thanks to your posts. It also sounds like the menus have been changed and there are some new things along with some oldie but goodies! I think the alfredo is the best!

I only bought two on my Alaska trip because Holland charges alot for formal pictures. They sell them in packages such as an 8x10 and a few smaller of the same picture for like 40 bucks. But, for this Hawaii trip and with it being Princess, I hope they have more normal prices for formals(as well as all of the other ones). So, hopefully the op can tell me what to expect. I too would like to buy quite a few from this Hawaii trip.

If my memory serves me correctly :rolleyes: an 8x10 formal was 20.00, the port pictures were either 10.00 or 15.00 and there were packages to choose from. Hint.....wait until later in the cruise to buy the pics because they are marking them down a bit. The last package I bought they threw in the photo/scrapbook album. I used it for our scrapbook. Prices might be slightly different now but shouldn't be too much more......I hope :o

If my memory serves me correctly :rolleyes: an 8x10 formal was 20.00, the port pictures were either 10.00 or 15.00 and there were packages to choose from. Hint.....wait until later in the cruise to buy the pics because they are marking them down a bit. The last package I bought they threw in the photo/scrapbook album. I used it for our scrapbook. Prices might be slightly different now but shouldn't be too much more......I hope :o

I think by the end of our Hawaii cruise last year they were half off! Only problem with waiting is that the amount of pictures keeps growing and finding your own becomes more difficult. Also, ask around about coupons. We no longer buy the pictures and would have been happy to share any coupons. (Don't ask - I didn't bring any home so have none to share now)

Thank you so much for this live thread. I have really enjoyed it. My DH and I will soon be doing this trip.

I have a question for you. Did you notice how much the pictures are such as formal,embarkation, port pictures, etc?

I always spend too much on pictures and with this being our first trip to Hawaii as well as first time on Princess, well, probably gonna want the pictures.

I really have to pinch myself that in just over 2 weeks, I will be on this ship going to Hawaii.

Thanks again for taking time to do this live post.

Pam

6x8's range from $10 to $13. 8x10 portraits are $20, but its buy 4 get one free.

With Diana on board, we have spent a lot on pictures, and don't forget the DVD either which is $40.

Thanks so much for your great trip diary, makes me feel like I am along for the ride with you. Since Mario will be on the Crown, which is our next cruise, which dining room? Anytime dining or fixed dining? I get hungry everytime you talk about his wonderful pasta!!

They will rotate each cruise or two between the two anytimes and the one fixed dining rooms. The staff also rotates among the various tables as well.

Now...concerning Mario and your special attention. Were there any remarks from other tables about what he did for you? Or, was he spending time with other tables as well?

Jim

He's doing this all over the dining room. (I've seen similar things being delivered to at least 6 other tables.) He's all over the place talking to tables, pouring wine or water, singing songs, cooking. Princess has cut back on head waiters over the past couple of years. There is only 3-4 in our dining room (depending on how you count) and they are no longer in charge of a given section of tables - they wander.

So how he finds time to deliver such personalized customer service is a mystery to me. But we're not complaining.

For most of our cruises, the head waiter rarely stops by, much less pours you water, wine or delivers food. We were happy with a table in the center of the dining room, forgoing a window table - not much to see anyway. On this cruise JP walks by every night and says hello, Mario stops by 2-3 times, Conrad will wave everytime he comes by, Maria always stops and asks how we are doing and the chef stops by every now and then since he remembers us from Chef's Table.

The wait staff on this cruise had been out of this world and go out of their way to make you feel welcome.

Only two head waiters have every done this for us in 18 cruises. Mario and Albuquerque (Star Princess). So its very rare and a special treat for us.

Today will be even worse. That loss of an hour, plus going to bed at 2am, made for one tired pair yesterday. Today we lost another hour and we are both draggin tail.

Lots happening yesterday, but since we slept "late", I may have to come back later today since we have ballroom in about 30 minutes.

Quick recap, went to ballroom blitz rehearsal and signed up for swing and cha-cha. Enjoyed Dave and Ben's tales from the sea. The held a Q&A with passengers on what life working on a cruise ship is like. Cruise critic got a big plug. Apparently someone posted a Dave comment two weeks ago that got Dave an email from corporate - 'you said what!?'

In order to wake up, we had to do a mile around the deck. That helped a lot.

A power nap was absolutely necessary - and it was a good one. Dinner was Chef's dinner and Mario's pasta was great. Spaghetti sauteed in mushroom, garlic, olive oil and pepper flakes. Simple and extremely tasty.

Judy had the fried chicken from the home style menu and I went straight to the rack of lamb. Judy requested no slaw and the mashed potatoes from another main course. Mashed potatoes and fried chicken. MMMM! Again, the lamb was better than the Crown Grill lamb. Nicely done.

Entertainment was Peter Sasso and a host of jokes and one liners. No juggling this time. Then we went to see Gaitano, yep front rows and jeesh is his assistant absolutely stunningly gorgeous - did I just say that out loud? We've seen his show before, but again totally different up close and personal.

Then it was dance, dance and more dance. For some reason Equinox had the Rhumba hour, 7 Rhumba's in a row, then the Cha-Cha hour, 6 cha-chas in a row. Hopped over to the Baby Dolls and they did a 12 minute cha-cha, followed by 2 more. Learned a new line dance, danced a few more times and then headed to Skywalkers to check it out.

We found all the smoking refugees in Skywalkers. The only indoor dance venue that allows smoking now. A quick pass through there and it was time to call it a night - at 2am, again.

Good thing we did that power nap thing.

Tonight is formal night, but we just don't feel like dressing up, so we will be eating in the buffet at some time.

We got to get in enough dancing to carry us through the next 3 months between cruises.

Got to run. Still have a couple of hundred minutes to spend today and tomorrow.

I'm really enjoying your thread. I don't have this particular cruised booked but I live in So Cal and have thought about doing it.

Am I reading right that Mario is going to be on the Crown? Do you know when? We are sailing the Crown in November. I suppose that might be too soon? Would love to try all those lovely pasta dishes you are referring to.

Enjoy the rest of your cruise

I'm really enjoying your thread. I don't have this particular cruised booked but I live in So Cal and have thought about doing it.

Am I reading right that Mario is going to be on the Crown? Do you know when? We are sailing the Crown in November. I suppose that might be too soon? Would love to try all those lovely pasta dishes you are referring to.

Enjoy the rest of your cruise

He probably won't join the crown for a few months, December/January time frame. But it never hurts to ask.

Luggage tags in the mailbox, Ensenada, packing, paying the bill looming tomorrow, work and home details starting to intrude back into the brain, thinking about scheduling, traveling, work tasking, problems, issues while in the shower. Happens every cruise, which is why I don't like the 7 day ones anymore (2 days to unwind, 2 days to wind back up) unless they are B2B2B2B...you get the idea.

We skipped the dining room and did the buffet tonight. Just didn't feel like dressing up.

Tonight is the Captain's Gala. I snapped a digital of the menu, but didn't look at it in detail. The buffet is nice. They have cut back on the number of selections over the past couple of years, but the quality of the individual selections is much better, at least here on the Golden. Tonight though, I just wanted some fruit and cheese.

So today we did the ballroom tango class (T-A-N-GO). Then we watched the culinary show with Norbert and JP. We still haven't found a culinary show to compete with the one on the Dawn several years ago. That one was a roll on the floor show, but this one was fun to watch. They make those dishes look so easy to make.

We missed line dance class, sorry Martin, since we had to get lunch having gotten up too late to do anything but coffee this morning. We went to the Morning Show Live taping with David and Ben, Judy went to ribbon lei class and I snoozed. Quite well actually.

Tonight is one of those busy nights. Dancing, Motor City from the front row, Ballroom Blitz and then dance till we fall asleep tonight. I can always sleep on the plane on Sunday.

Can't wait to see Motor City.

All in all, a wonderful 3 week vacation. Not perfect. As we've explained to Vian, perfection implies a lack of need to continue practicing. And we intend to practice cruising with Princess until they get it perfect.

I know I've mentioned a lot of the cutbacks we've seen over the years since we started cruising with Princess. Time to mention a few additions. The Vines and International cafe, lemonade in the HC, free soft serve, the Elite Lounge, MUTS, to mention the most obvious ones.

Princess has been listening, or reading, for sure. Smoking sections that bothered us on prior cruises have been moved or eliminated. The internet cafe is pretty user friendly. The layout of the old atrium into the new Piazza is really something to see. The new suites on Deck 15 and 6 were a great idea.

Cruise critic is well known, or infamous, to everyone on Princess now. Its in the lexicon for sure.

Well time to get to dancing. I'll do a last posting tomorrow, and then a review next week sometime.

Thanks for taking us along with you - it's been wonderful!

I don't care for Diet Coke - they say I can purchase Diet Sprite in the cans onboard...

Do you know if they have Diet Sprite in the fountains? (in case I decide to purchase a soda card)

THANKS FOR THE TAKING THE TIME TO POST FOR ALL OF US TO ENJOY!

Thanks.. I have some pictures to show him when he was a waiter in 1991

But according to the roll call for the following cruise on the 11th, he will be on vacation starting this Sunday, as will the captain.

I will keep trying to find him today and confirm...

Thanks for taking us along with you - it's been wonderful!

I don't care for Diet Coke - they say I can purchase Diet Sprite in the cans onboard...

Do you know if they have Diet Sprite in the fountains? (in case I decide to purchase a soda card)

THANKS FOR THE TAKING THE TIME TO POST FOR ALL OF US TO ENJOY!

Only in the cans at $1.95 each. I would suggest a couple of six packs or bottles prior to boarding. You can easily pick up more at the ABC or Wal-Mart stores in HI.

I'll try and post tonight sometime. We will probably get to bed early or at least earlier than 2am.

So after last night's post, we danced a few dances with the Baby Dolls, then went to get seats at the show.

Last night was Motor City. We did indeed sit in the front row, and yep it was totally different, again. Judy gets picked out to go up on stage and dance with James, one of the lead male vocalists, and I get an up close look at "heard it through the grapevine". (Needed a smoke after that number.) Apparently Vian had a hand in it since one of James' comments was, 'so you're Judy'. Too bad on the "no photo" policy.

Motor City is very high energy with a trip through Motown through song and dance. Kirsten (Bourke) and Leslie (Turner), the lead female vocalists, have amazing voices with great range. No offense to the guys, James and Roger, but these ladies can flat sing.

Its funny we've been missing half the show all these years by sitting in the back. I did peruse a couple of roll calls for follow on cruises. It appears that at least a few people are going to try the front rows. I think you will be pleasantly suprised.

Then we went to Ballroom Blitz. We haven't done that in several cruises. We signed up to do the Cha-Cha and the single time swing, and survived that. Hey, free champagne! Because of a technical glitch at Motor City, part of the stage wouldn't move, Vian and Jane did not do their Salsa demonstration because they were running late.

So we're sitting there at ballroom talking to one of the other couples we've been dancing with, all cruise by the way, and find out they live about 2 miles from our house, and that its snowing and 37 degrees in Colorado Springs. Small world.

After ballroom, we went to the wheelhouse with a few of the other couples and kicked back with drinks for a while before heading off to bed.

More later, hopefully, its time to pack...

We were eager to read each and every post you made and really enjoyed your trip ! :D We are really anxious to begin our cruise, our first on Princess , on 10/25/09 in C753 ! We are a lot more excited now after having read of your wonderful journey !

We will certainly do, or try to do, the up front and close for the shows and just hope that all the other folks from our roll call that have also been reading your journal, don't always beat us to those 'prime' seats. LOL;)

Have a safe trip home and enjoy your Rockies !

Archived