Carnival in San Diego

MaiTaiMary

yes, the Spirit will be the only ship sailing from San Diego, but She will only be there October thru May, the rest of the time she will be sailing Alaska cruises and a handful of Hawaii cruises, so for most of May thru October Carnival will NOT have a ship sailing from San Diego...I don't know if there are any other cruiselines sailing out of SD?

Edeno

Holland America, Royal Caribbean and Celebrity all sail from San Diego as a homeport this season. Although not entirely accurate, here is the schedule

http://www.sandiegocruiseport.com/cruise-san-diego-cruise-ships.html

David

"Not entirely accurate"? Now that's an understatement! The site has obviously not been updated since Carnival's announcement that the Elation was being repositioned to Mobile in late April. According to John Heald's blog, there are currently no plans to place another ship in San Diego at this time. There have been several other threads discussing at length the possible reasons for this.

The Elation's departure from San Diego will be a huge hit to the City of San Diego. The Elation did primarily short 3-5 day cruises so it brought a lot of cruisers in/out of the City. I guess there really isn't much the City can do if the Cruiselines want to pull out.

What about the Monarch of the Seas? Did that leave LA or SD a year or two ago? I would think that was a huge hit as well.

The Elation's departure from San Diego will be a huge hit to the City of San Diego. The Elation did primarily short 3-5 day cruises so it brought a lot of cruisers in/out of the City. I guess there really isn't much the City can do if the Cruiselines want to pull out.

What about the Monarch of the Seas? Did that leave LA or SD a year or two ago? I would think that was a huge hit as well.

RCL pulled the Monarch of the Seas out of LA two years ago I think.

I'm really bummed about CCL's decision. I sort of understand it maybe but I still feel they could move one of the LA ships down to San Diego. San Diego is such a beautiful city and I personally like the port better than LA but we are definately screwed for now.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1061759

San Diego is such an easy port to sail out of, with lots of interesting things to see and do within walking distance of the cruise port. I'm sorry to see Carnival lessen their presence there.

Roz

yikes...I know i am late her but Elation is leaving? Crap...first RC pulled Monarch and now Elation is leaving...no morew short trips...other than the 5 day ones?

If you are counting the Monarch, which sailed out of San Pedro, then you should count the Carnival Paradise which does three and four night cruises out of Long Beach.

yikes...I know i am late her but Elation is leaving? Crap...first RC pulled Monarch and now Elation is leaving...no morew short trips...other than the 5 day ones?

The only short cruises left left are 3 day to Ensenada and 4 day to catalina and ensenada. Also the spirit is doing a few 4 and 5 day cruises to cabo.

I live in San Diego and am sorry to see the Elation go. Obviously, this is a much nicer and more tourist-friendly port than L.A. or Long Beach.

Maybe from a "things to do before/after the cruise perspective", but in speaking with Port employees, San Diego's lack of a cruise facility that can comfortably handle more than one ship at a time has been a sore spot for the cruise companies and travellers alike.

Maybe from a "things to do before/after the cruise perspective", but in speaking with Port employees, San Diego's lack of a cruise facility that can comfortably handle more than one ship at a time has been a sore spot for the cruise companies and travellers alike.

San Diego is by far our favorite port to sail out of.......give me San Diego anyday over Long Beach......

San Diego is by far our favorite port to sail out of.......give me San Diego anyday over Long Beach......

Agreed. San Diego is a more pleasant city. But the cruise facilities in San Diego leave alot to be desired from a Port with ambitions of becoming a year round cruise port hub.

Agreed. San Diego is a more pleasant city. But the cruise facilities in San Diego leave alot to be desired from a Port with ambitions of becoming a year round cruise port hub.

Actually I was talking about the port.......it was the easiest and fastest of any port we have ever sailed out of.......is it nothing but a big warehouse? Sure........but they know what they are doing;)

I have to agree with Kurbanfan. There is no seating available in Long Beach & I had to wait outside while it sprinkled on us. At San Diego, there is plenty of seating while waiting for the green light to board the ship. One line to wait in when they started calling numbers vs about 3 at LB. San Diego has their act together. San Diego here I come in 2 weeks.

San Diego is building a new cruise terminal right now.

http://www.portofsandiego.org/maritime/1671-ports-new-cruise-ship-terminal-breaks-ground-on-august-4.html

Archived