Conquest at Chistmas with BIG family -HELP!

tighefamily

My extended family will be cruising together on the Carnival Conquest this Christmas. I have a few questions. Our children are: 2 -15 yr olds, a 13 yr., a 11 yr, a 9 yr and a 3 year old. My real concern is our first stop (after 2 days at sea), Montego Bay. I have heard terrible things about it. When my husband and I went without kids we did the Dunn River Falls and that was great. Now with so many kids, we can't afford expensive excursions. I'm afraid to go to the public beaches but the private clubs look pricey too. Also, I'd hate to spend $60 pp only to have the place be overcrowded with other holiday travelers. After 2 days on the ship, I think we will need to get off so skipping this port isn't really an option. Can any recommend a safe, pleasant, CHEAP and child-friendly beach or place to go in Montego Bay?? Also, do walkie-talkies work on these big ships? It would be nice to be able to stay in touch with the older kids on board. Any help or advice would be appreciated. This is my kids' first time cruising. THANKS!!!

Hi! I'm sorry I can't really help, but here's a bump so that maybe someone with experience in Montego Bay can advise you.

Have you considered letting the younger kids stay on board and do the camp activities, to keep them safe and cut down on costs? Maybe the adults can go shopping or do an inexpensive tour or something that the little ones would find boring anyway.

As far as walkies, we used them on the Glory, which is a Conquest class ship, and they worked fine.

I have to be honest with you, and some might disagree, but I would stay on the ship if you do not want to do a tour. And I fully understand why you don't want to do a tour given the expense and ages of some of the chidlren. I just do not care for Jamaica and I would not do anything on my own there.

Why not enjoy the ship. There will be some other kids on the ship and it will be nice that it is less crowded.

Keith

We were on the Conquest last Spring with our kids (2 and 9 at the time). I can't for the life of remember what we paid (less than $100 for sure) and booked a driver/guide at the pier when we got off the ship (there is a Tourist Bureau desk right there). We didn't book ahead since we had heard such bad things that we thought we might get off and get right back on, but it was fine. Enjoyed driving through the mountains and visiting a bird sanctuary where hummingbird sit on your finger and drink sugar water from a bottle you are holding. Our tour was about 4 hours, and would have been longer, except we wanted to go back for naps.

Archived