Question re: The Behind the Fun Tour

ryanpatricksmom

For those of you who have attended this tour onboard (we're on the Pride, I don't know if any other ships are offering it), how did you sign up? I've only seen the Galley tour offered in the Capers, and that doesn't seem to require a pre-registration. I would love to attend, and since they have limited space available, I would appreciate the heads up before we sail in December.

I haven't been yet, but I read another post that said they only take 16 people and I believe the price is around $95. They indicated it wasn't posted in the Capers it was only mentioned during one of the excursion talks. (Pulling some of this from memory on a past post I read).

For those of you who have attended this tour onboard (we're on the Pride, I don't know if any other ships are offering it), how did you sign up? I've only seen the Galley tour offered in the Capers, and that doesn't seem to require a pre-registration. I would love to attend, and since they have limited space available, I would appreciate the heads up before we sail in December.

They started running it on Conquest and one other ship whose name escapes me. We just took the tour last week (13th Sept sailing on CQ) and it was awesome. I did not see it advertised anywhere, but I knew to ask for it. You must purchase it from the Shore Excursions desk--it is not available from the Purser's desk or through the TV menu--and it is $95pp. Do not bring a camera, cell phone, anything vaguely resembling a weapon (some genius brought his small pocket knife) OR open-toed shoes. There is a lot of walking and no elevator usage.

On Conquest, we saw, in no particular order: Backstage, dancers' dressing room, crew open deck (with group picture) on deck 4 forward, supper club and its galley, crew galley, crew dining room, staff dining room, petty officer dining room, captain's dining room, main passenger galley, crew self-service laundry, main laundry, crew cabin hallways (no cabins were open at the time), crew training center, crew internet lounge, crew/staff lounge (akin to a small Henri's), main hallway on deck 0 (called I-95), photo developing lab, food cold storage facilities (COLD!), engine control room, exterior doors (not inside of) morgue and brig, and bridge (group picture and individual picture with captain). There may be other stops, and they may be different on yours. The point is, you see a LOT of the ship that is not normally visible.

At the end of the tour, we received: string-style "backpack" pouch, "behind the fun" baseball cap, photobook consisting of pictures taken by the crew that have won awards, small soap carving from the person who makes these, complimentary cocktails in supper club at end, copies of each picture mentioned earlier, BtF tour lanyard, and a set of 4 chocolate-covered strawberries per each person on tour (two of us in cabin went on tour, so we got two sets).

Our tour director was AWESOME, as was the tour itself. Her name was Nataliya (I think that's how it's spelled; my sincere apologies to her if I messed it up, because she's really that nice) and she knew virtually everything we wanted to know. I don't know what genius thought up this idea, but I'd gladly pay $95 again to do the tour on another ship.

I did this tour on the Pride 2 weeks ago and it was awesome! You need to go to the shore excursion desk and tell them you want to sign up for the Behind the Fun tour. It does cost $95.00 and it is well worth it. They did two groups or 16 people each but that is all so hurry to the Excursion Desk as soon as possible.

Have fun!

I did this on the Splendor two weeks ago!! It was awesome and worth the 95.00!! You have to be 13 years old to do the tour so I did it with my 14 year old daughter. The drinks at the end of the tour in the Supper club was nice and our photos were delivered to us at dinner. Another nice thing was the head chef sent some goodies to our room later in the day!! Cookies, chocolate covered strawberries, etc!!!! Julie from Cananda did our tour and she was great!! I signed up at the shore excursion desk as soon as we boarded. It was great to do this with my daughter and it was on the last sea day. Hanging out on the bridge with the Captain was fantastic!!!

I have a question for those who have done this. I have a weird phobia/vertigo like if I was walking on a catwalk etc. Do you have to do anyting creepy like that? Like I would never go up the floating stairs to the supper club on the Miracle, we took the inside entrance. Im ok walking around the atrium etc and walking up and down the stairs on lido etc.thanks

We did this tour last week on the Pride, I got in line at the excursion desk as soon as we boarded, they didn't even have the computers ready!! We ended up having 18 in our group and they only had one tour. I never saw any mention in the Capers but someone said that it was mentioned at the shore excursion talk. Some people who went said that they left the talk to book the tour! The tour was awesome and well worth the $$!

I have a question for those who have done this. I have a weird phobia/vertigo like if I was walking on a catwalk etc. Do you have to do anyting creepy like that? Like I would never go up the floating stairs to the supper club on the Miracle, we took the inside entrance. Im ok walking around the atrium etc and walking up and down the stairs on lido etc.thanks

The crew areas of the ship do not have enclosed stairs like the guest areas. You can see between the individual stair steps--like how a ladder looks--and, in a couple areas, my group went up stairs that were both open and had steel mesh instead of a solid plank. There are handrails on every set of stairs and, with the exception of the trip to the supper club, we never used elevators. As far as I can remember, there are no areas that have "see through" floors like a catwalk.

When I took the tour on the Pride last month, I bought it at the purser's desk while we were waiting to get formal pictures done before dinner on the second night. I was in the second group. I only heard about it because we had the TV on while we were getting dressed for dinner, and the shore excursion talk was on, and this was when it was mentioned. No funky catwalk like floors (like you would see on a Navy ship, at least the ones they show on TV shows) but there were some narrow and steep stairwells. We did take the elevator from B deck up to whatever deck the bridge is on, and then several people rode up to the steakhouse from there, while the rest of us went up the stairs.

I'm glad its avail on splendor, i'll be there soon! Is the shore excursions desk open right after you board ?

I did this on the Splendor two weeks ago!! It was awesome and worth the 95.00!! You have to be 13 years old to do the tour so I did it with my 14 year old daughter. The drinks at the end of the tour in the Supper club was nice and our photos were delivered to us at dinner. Another nice thing was the head chef sent some goodies to our room later in the day!! Cookies, chocolate covered strawberries, etc!!!! Julie from Cananda did our tour and she was great!! I signed up at the shore excursion desk as soon as we boarded. It was great to do this with my daughter and it was on the last sea day. Hanging out on the bridge with the Captain was fantastic!!!

What time is it normally offered? Just wondering if it is in the middle of a sea day if we would need to come in and change or just throw on a coverup? Also, I am different from most in that I do not hardly ever wear tennis shoes. Will my Teva sandals not be allowed on the tour? Hate to pack a pair of shoes just for this but will if needed.

What time is it normally offered? Just wondering if it is in the middle of a sea day if we would need to come in and change or just throw on a coverup? Also, I am different from most in that I do not hardly ever wear tennis shoes. Will my Teva sandals not be allowed on the tour? Hate to pack a pair of shoes just for this but will if needed.

My tour was at 915am, and the one prior was at 9, on the final sea day.

You need closed toed shoes. There was one report from somebody on here was able to wear their sandals but that's not the rule and I wouldn't want to take that chance. I ended up wearing my dress shoes since as I hadn't heard of this tour ahead of time and only took dress shoes and sandals on the ship. The tour guide did send a few people to change their shoes prior to going on the tour.

My wife and I did the Behind the Fun Tour on the Glory about three weeks ago. It was a great tour and well worth the price. When we booked the tour, we were not told about the closed toed shoe rule. Only after we got back to the cabin and realized this did I contact the shore excusion desk to let them know we did not bring any closed toed shoes with us on our trip. She kindly told me that we would still be able to do the tour, however, we must be very careful when going up and down the stairs and moving about the crew areas. On the day of the tour, we wore flip flops and had no problem at all. I will tell you if you have problems going up or down stairs you should probably not take this tour as there was no elevator usage during the entire tour.

We loved this tour!

Those stairs got to me too! Totally sober I felt like I was falling!

The tour of the bridge being included is what makes it really worth it. Sounds like fun. How long did it take?

Archived