How far is it from Ft. Lauderdale to Port Canaveral?

canuckgal

Hi- starting to plan for our christmas 2010 cruise out of Port Canaveral. I have noticed that flights from Seattle to Ft. Lauderdale are way cheaper than to Orlando- there are six of us, so saving $100-$200 a ticket is a lot. If we flew into Ft. Lauderdale, rented a car and drove to Port Canaveral the next day, how long would it take us? Is there a good freeway, or a scenic route that doesn't snake through the beach cities? Is this mental that we are thinking of this?

Hi- starting to plan for our christmas 2010 cruise out of Port Canaveral. I have noticed that flights from Seattle to Ft. Lauderdale are way cheaper than to Orlando- there are six of us, so saving $100-$200 a ticket is a lot. If we flew into Ft. Lauderdale, rented a car and drove to Port Canaveral the next day, how long would it take us? Is there a good freeway, or a scenic route that doesn't snake through the beach cities? Is this mental that we are thinking of this?

There is no scenic route that doesn't snake through beach cities.

You can take A1A and make a trip out of the trip (5 hours straight through) drive I-95 (3+ hours) or take the turnpike (3 hours). We love to spend the night on Singer Island just north of Palm Beach or east of West Palm.

It's around 190 miles from FLL to Port Canaveral. I 95 out of FLL airport up to exit 205 Rte 528 Right to the port. Take you about 2.5 to 3 hours.

Avis and Enterpirse and others have facilities with in a mile or so of th eport and can take you to the terminal. So check for your best rate.

Depending upon when your flight arrives you might want to consider heading up the road and stopping somewhere 1/2 for the night, like Port St. Lucie or even Vero Beach. Might be cheaper along the route than a night in FLL or Port C.

Yes, Tampa is closer to Orlando, but Port Canaveral is an hour east of Orlando and the very heavy traffic on I-4 through Orlando makes it pretty close to being a wash.

Honestly unless you're saving an absolute fortune by flying to FLL over MCO then it's not worth the hassle of an extremely boring 3 hour drive.

There is no scenic route unless you take A1A and that would take hours going through all the beach towns. I-95 is about 3 hours, and boring as hell.

Yes, Tampa is closer to Orlando, but Port Canaveral is an hour east of Orlando and the very heavy traffic on I-4 through Orlando makes it pretty close to being a wash.

Honestly unless you're saving an absolute fortune by flying to FLL over MCO then it's not worth the hassle of an extremely boring 3 hour drive.

There is no scenic route unless you take A1A and that would take hours going through all the beach towns. I-95 is about 3 hours, and boring as hell.

I have to disagree. A person can take I-4 up to Disney area and then take the toll road over to the beachline and then across to the port. The drive would be around 2 to 2 1/2 hours and you could avoid all the traffic in the Orlando area.

Another airport option could be the Orlando Sanford Airport. Mostly off brands fly there but they can be very inexpensive.

The drive from Ft Lauderdale to the port would be about 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Straight shot up I-95 but there are usually a lot of accidents on that road so travel time can be extended.

Hope this helps:)

Archived