Back from Our First Cruise!

kerojack

We are back from our 7 day cruise from Vancouver to Whittier.

And I just thought that I would share our experience! Also there are a few tidbit videos on here that my DH took with his cell.

First Cruise for all in our Group of 8 (ages 27 to 70s)

Myself & husband

My Sister & Fiancé

My Mom & Dad

My Two Aunts from South Korea

DAY ONE {saturday}: Fly into Vancouver

Weather: SUN. SUN. SUN. Beautiful! :)

After lots of long lines and losing a Korean or three, we managed to get everyone safely settled on the boat. We checked out our rooms straight away. Great Balcony! We were on the Caribe Deck, which has the bigger balcony! And it is nice! We slept with the Balcony door open every night. We had dinner at the Horizon Court Buffet. And looked about the ship and turned in around 10 or 11pm.

DAY TWO {sunday}: @ Sea

Weather: Cloudy

My DH and I had breakfast by ourselves @ the international dining room. I’m not exactly sure how we pulled that off… or where everyone else was. But I’m glad that we did. It was the only time the whole trip that we ate there and I wish we had gone again.

I was a little nervous about sitting with strangers. We were seated at a table for 6 with a couple from Toronto and a couple from New Zealand. I always think that my DH looks a bit intimidating to other people. He’s Big (6’4”) Bald and Bearded with lots of tattoos. But he’s actually pretty soft-spoken.

We had a wonderful time! We got along great with our table mates and talked about practically Everything! I think our table was the liveliest and loudest that morning for sure! I really enjoy the different perspectives you get when talking to people from such different places.

Later that day, we hung out @ the Churchill for Packers Football at least until the broadcast signal disappeared.

After that it was on to the first Formal night. This was a bit bumpy. My sister, her fiancé, and my DH were all ready. My dad showed up at my sister’s room sans my mom and aunts. There was a miscommunication somewhere. My dad didn’t check my aunts’ room for them and we thought they just went to the buffet since we were going to dinner late.

Nope. :eek: She waited for an hour or two for us to come get her! But we didn’t know she was there. I just think this happened because we were still all getting used to being on a ship and without a means of communication beyond room phones and only one person had an actual watch. Everyone else is used to having a cell phone! This is also the reason I missed my CC Meet & Greet. Time was just lost to us the first few days!

It’s pretty sad when you have to acclimate yourself to be without technology.

DAY THREE {monday}: Ketchikan 5am – 2pm

Weather: Cloudy

This day we woke up early and prepared for our Zipline & Ropes course Excursion (booked independently).

Unfortunately, despite all my preparations, I neglected to write down the info for the company we booked through. So I had to ask the Tour Desk what the company name was for the Zipline and ROPES Course.

She told me “Canopy Adventures” which sounded familiar to me.

Long story short… we took a $35 cab ride in the wrong direction to the wrong zipline. Only to find out on arrival from the nice man running that zipline that the course we needed was Southeast Exposure and it was ALL the way on the NORTH side of the island. So, we took the cab ($35 again) back through Ketchikan to the right place. Luckily we left really early and ended up getting there half an hour early even with the “detour”. :o

We were able to walk around the area and check out the dock and water and forest. We met the owner on the dock. Very nice and they actually set us up before the Cruise tour showed up and let us go on 3 ziplines while we waited.

This was good because DH is afraid of heights and has never been ziplining before! He was able to take his time and get used to the feeling and the jumping off part.

After the Cruise tour showed up, we did the full course. Ziplines with 4 ropes portions in the middle. Then on to the Rock Wall! I haven’t done this in a while.

My sister’s fiancé did the intermediate… Then she did it whilst telling herself that if he did then she could)… Finally, I did it whilst telling myself that if she did I could!

After we were all done… we managed to stow away on the cruise bus and ride back to the ship for free! Sneaky, Sneaky!

Some time after leaving Ketchican while where were on top deck playing Shuffleboard, we started seeing pods of humpback whales.

The Naturalist got on the speakers telling us where to look and pointing things out. She started to tell us about Bubble nets and how to look for one and the if we were REALLY REALLY Lucky we might actually get to see one.

And then IT HAPPENED! Right off the Port Side! I was able to catch it on video… (not sure of the quality) but it was Amazing! It was so Close to the ship! The Naturalist was Ecstatic! She couldn’t believe it!

Next, there were a bunch of pods on the Starboard side and 2 or 3 whales Breached! One further behind us and the Second right next to the ship practically! It was so exciting! I’ve never seen a whale in person before (not even SeaWorld) and it was incredible! The rest of the whales were Head Slapping and Tail Slapping a lot. And as we were leaving this pod, one Whale did about half a dozen or more Tail Slaps in a row. It felt like he/she was waving at us!

At this point the trip could have ended, because it had already exceeded my expectations!

DAY FOUR {tuesday}: Juneau 6am – 8pm ish

Weather: Overcast with a slight drizzle here and there. Still Nice, Though

We didn’t book any excursions here. We just wanted to play it by ear. We took a bus ($14/person roundtrip) to the Mendenhall Glacier.

This was great! It’s so huge. And the waterfall was much bigger and more impressive than I had imagined it.

My sister’s fiancé saw a bear while he was sketching on the beach and we saw some wolf tracks in the sand.

Next, we decided to take the Mt. Robert’s Tram ($27/person) up and eat lunch at the Restaurant up there since I heard it was really good.

Oh… it did not disappoint! I can honestly say that was THE best meal we had the whole trip! I had the Fish ‘n Chips. Halibut. Cooked Perfectly. Fried Perfectly. It was Great. My only problem is I can’t get it again! I’m back home in the landlocked state of Oklahoma!

DAY FIVE: Skagway 6am – 8pm ish

Weather: Cloudy, Rainy, Cloudy, Partly Cloudy, Sunny, Cloudy, Foggy, Cloudy (we were driving)

We rented a car here and used Murray’s Guide to Emerald Lake.

Absolutely Beautiful drive. The only problem was that the HUGE van we rented left something to be desired for the view in all but the front two seats.

I had a great view. But the rest didn’t. I didn’t realize that they could see very well out the windows especially when it started to rain. And the windows didn’t roll down. If they had said something we could have alternated the front seat. But the multiple scenic stops helped, I think.

We stopped in Carcross and had our passports stamped.

We ate lunch at a little place outside Carcross. They served homemade soups and sandwiches, fresh baked bread and Cinnamon Rolls. Very YUMMY! Especially since it was very chilly outside.

We passed the “world’s smallest desert” and made it to the Emerald Lake. What a view.

On the way back about halfway, the clouds descended on the road and we were covered in fog. It was wild how thick the fog was.

Before heading back into Skagway we took a trip down Dyea Road. It was a little nerve racking being in that HUGE Van and driving on the tiny road next to a drop off. We didn’t see any bears, but we did see 3 or 4 bald eagles.

Next, we headed to the Gold Rush Graveyard and arrive just as a tour bus did. The graveyard was pretty interesting. I thought that the graves surrounded by the bedposts were pretty creepy. And we all thought the rushing water we heard was coming from the river next to graveyard until we came across a huge waterfall hidden at the back of the path. It was very nice back there and I couldn’t believe that hardly anyone from the tour ventured back there. They really missed out.

DAY SIX: Glacier Bay

Weather: Cloudy/Overcast with spots of Sunshine breaking through here and there. Nice!

This was a nice day even if it was overcast. We saw some calving. The sun broke through and lit the top of the glacier up making it bright and sparkle and shine. Really Great!

On our way out of Glacier Bay, we spotted a Bunch of Humpback whales by an island. They were ACTIVE! They must have breached almost a dozen times. Head Slaps and Tail Slaps everywhere. They were really far away though you could see it decently with the naked eye but it was better with binoculars or a camera zoomed in.

One of the Crew mentioned that there were about 9 whales and after we passed there more whales were headed that way. The (very very excited) Naturalist said there was probably a really tasty school of fish there and they were calling others to it.

It was unbelievable.

This was also our last formal night. And we were sure not to botch this one! Since by this time we had eaten at the Savoy, Sante Fe, Pacific Moon, and Vivaldi. We decided to eat at the one we had the best experience, Vivaldi. The wait staff during our first visit were great and entertaining. One waiter trying to sell that limon cello and shot glass was very funny and did a little shaking of the hips and telling my DH that the limon cello would make him very “Sessy”. He was great.

However, at this dinner our waiter was not as nice or friendly. And my sister catch him rolling his eyes.

Also I ordered something that I didn’t expect to be wrapped in bacon. (I haven’t eaten pork in almost 15 years) I asked if it really was bacon… he said yes… I told him I didn’t eat pork and he unwrapped it with my silverware and said that I could just eat it like that.

I ended up just sending it back… (I hate doing that) the next thing I got was just… not good. It really was unfortunate because that first time at Vivaldi was hands down our favorite dining experience on the ship and this one was our worst.

DAY SEVEN: College Fjord

Weather: Clear Skies! Beautiful and Brisk.

Huge Glaciers. It did get a bit chilly after the sun started to go down but when the sun was up… very nice. We saw Icebergs and lots and lots of Sea Otters playing in the water.

After a fun filled day of Glaciers

DAY EIGHT: Whittier - Anchorage

Weather: Partly cloudy – slight morning Fog – CLEAR SKIES. Warm! Sunny! No need for a Jacket!

We hopped on the bus and were shuttle to the Hospitality Center in Anchorage. We had a very nice and informative bus driver. Very fun ride going through the tunnel out of Whittier and the other side was completely covered in fog!

We had a late flight so when we got to Anchorage we had lunch and walked around the city. My DH and I ended up walking about 4+ miles! Our Feet were SORE!

Top 3 Highlights:

1 – Ziplining/Ropes/Rock Wall

2 – Whales. Whales. Whales.

3 – Gorgeous Scenery. Mountains. Oceans. Trees.

For those that managed/cared to read through my ramblings! Thanks!

And a BIG Thanks to everyone's information and help that enabled us to have a really great trip!

Also

A very nice CCer gave away BOGO coffee cards with a pay it forward price tag and I was lucky enough to get one.

Well, We didn't end up using all the punches try as we might.

So would like them not to go to waste since it will be a very long time before we cruise again.

The First has 6 punches left

The Second has 3 punches left

GetAttachment.aspx&hm__qs=file%3dacc5db0b-944c-469c-b5d5-921db4a9a182.jpeg%26ct%3daW1hZ2UvanBlZw_3d_3d%26name%3dMDktMjEtMDlfMTQyMi5qcGVn%26inline%3d1%26rfc%3d0%26empty%3dFalse%26imgsrc%3dcid%253a813&oneredir=1&ip=10.6.1.7&d=d2497&mf=0&a=01_352efc6fc6a4a16f24b2c9f1e4a92e77eb9d9e0f39582e389f832a11abd9ad69

They also allow you to get unlimited fresh brewed coffee and tea.

I will mail them out to two diffent people. First come, First Serve.

Email me your address - Angie_311@hotmail.com

Thanks Again!

Nope. :eek: She waited for an hour or two for us to come get her! But we didn’t know she was there. I just think this happened because we were still all getting used to being on a ship and without a means of communication beyond room phones and only one person had an actual watch. Everyone else is used to having a cell phone! This is also the reason I missed my CC Meet & Greet. Time was just lost to us the first few days!

After we were all done… we managed to stow away on the cruise bus and ride back to the ship for free! Sneaky, Sneaky!

Great review and its a nice change having an all positive one - even with your bumps in the road.

I had to laugh (kind of with you, not at you) your poor relative sitting there quietly waiting....waiting... waiting.... ah, the things stories and laughs are made of. It's more funny now than then, I'm sure.

And this is NOT a criticism. I'm :) as I'm typing. I hope when you stowed away on the bus - that they knew you were stowed away. Since they count heads to make sure everyone is back on the bus before they leave, I hope they didn't count you as someone from the trip and leave others behind. If so, you've got an "oops" story to tell too. :D and there are some really ticked off people still waiting at the bus!

Thank you for a lovely review. I am jealous since we did the same trip 4 week ago and it now seems like a lifetime. It is funny how people experience things differently - we loved the PacificMoon the most and went back there for our second formal night (having tried them all before that). The whales and the scenery are definitely what makes the Alaska trip so exceptional and I am glad you got to see both.

And this is NOT a criticism. I'm :) as I'm typing. I hope when you stowed away on the bus - that they knew you were stowed away. Since they count heads to make sure everyone is back on the bus before they leave, I hope they didn't count you as someone from the trip and leave others behind. If so, you've got an "oops" story to tell too. :D and there are some really ticked off people still waiting at the bus!

I'm not 100% on this but I believe they didn't have a full bus to begin with. The whole pack of cruise people and us were all done at the same time and loaded all together. And the bus driver checked with the owner before we left to make sure he had everyone.

Thank you for the review.

I just think this happened because we were still all getting used to being on a ship and without a means of communication beyond room phones

For your next cruise: As in a hotel, you can phone between cabins on any major cruise line ship. The instructions are usually displayed on the phone, or in the information folder on your desk.

If they're not, just call the front desk for the procedure.

Loved your review. Alaska is just beyond belief in beauty.:)

We were on the Sapphire in July. It was a picture perfect vacation and one I would do again and again.

I see you are also from Oklahoma. I'm glad to see a few of us on here.:)

Thank you for the review.

I just think this happened because we were still all getting used to being on a ship and without a means of communication beyond room phones

For your next cruise: As in a hotel, you can phone between cabins on any major cruise line ship. The instructions are usually displayed on the phone, or in the information folder on your desk.

If they're not, just call the front desk for the procedure.

We did use the phones in the cabin and all over the ship to call our rooms... but more often than not if they were on the balcony they didn't here it! and we would think they went out!

Hi Kerojack - great review. We were on the same cruise w/you so it was nice to read someone else's perspective. Wonder if we saw you guys on deck? My DH spent most of his time on Deck 8 forward and was the one w/the huge Canon lens on a tripod.

Glad you enjoyed your first cruise and hope you booked a future cruise. We did - now to decide when and where!

Hi Kerojack - great review. We were on the same cruise w/you so it was nice to read someone else's perspective. Wonder if we saw you guys on deck? My DH spent most of his time on Deck 8 forward and was the one w/the huge Canon lens on a tripod.

Glad you enjoyed your first cruise and hope you booked a future cruise. We did - now to decide when and where!

Thank you very much!

I did see a man around there with a huge camera and i think it was covered with a plasic bag..... (i was sooo jealous ;) {of the camera not the bag}:D)

My DH and I usually tend to stick out so you would probably remember us if you did see us!

I'm a 5' with purple hair :D and He's 6'4" Bald with a beard, tattoos.

we were all over the ship!

I still felt that even after 7 days on the ship... I was finding new places!

Interesting, concise, well-written review! I like the way you got to the highlights. Thanks and welcome home!

Thank you! I'm glad because I had to write it 3 times!

The first time... I accidentally hit the power on my computer's power supply!

Then the second time, when I tried to post the re-cap... it said I wasn't logged in and everything I wrote disappeared!

The third and final time... I wrote it in MS Word! and SAVED it!

That's also why there are so many typos... I was so tired after writing it 3 times in a row that I didn't proof read it before I posted :D

Archived