Checked Baggage Rules on Connections

JACKHAWK

I start my trip on US Airways all coach flight domestic to connect to Lufthansa business class to Europe. What rules apply as far as checked baggage restrictions & charges? The US Air flight does have a Lufthansa code share number.

This flight was done by the cruise line.

Thanks

On the assumption that the cruise line is booking it for you as a through connection, on one ticket, it should be the Lufthansa business class allowance.

The fact that the US Airways flight has a Lufthansa code doesn't mean much by itself. The key is really whether you have a single ticket for a journey from your home airport to the final European destination, or whether you have been issued with separate tickets for the different bits. In the latter situation, airlines generally regard you as having booked separate journeys, one covered by each ticket, and you pay baggage fees accordingly.

Per IATA rules (Resolution 301, I think), on a single PNR, the luggage allowance for the highest class of service prevails. A working example: next week I am flying to Athens to catch my cruise on a Star Alliance reward ticket. YXU - YYZ (Air Canada Jazz in Y) + YYZ - ORD (United in F) + ORD - FRA (Lufthansa in F) + FRA - ATH (Lufthansa in J) -- LH's piece concept baggage allowance would apply.

Scott.

Per IATA rules (Resolution 301, I think), on a single PNR, the luggage allowance for the highest class of service prevails.
I think it must be ticket, not PNR. Although airlines don't often do this, many TAs book complex itineraries on a single PNR but have to issue several tickets. In such a case, baggage allowances are governed by the highest allowance on each ticket, not on the whole PNR.

The highest class of service on a continuous routing to or from a destination gives the baggage allowances. Not included are flights within an extended itinery such as flying from one city to another after doing the international leg of the travel on other dates.

Be aware that from 7 Oct 2009 British Airways is changing its baggage policy and other Europeon airlines likely will follow.

Be aware that from 7 Oct 2009 British Airways is changing its baggage policy and other Europeon airlines likely will follow.
Yes, in addition to those US airlines that have already followed. I think that the days of two bags across the Atlantic are (finally!) numbered.

Archived