Spanish Trails Adventure - Has anybody used them?

smilesforfree

Hello,

We used Spanish Trails Adventures in June for our day in Barcelona aboard the Prinsendam. The pre-cruise communication was excellent with Tracy (American) and I actually went with her instead of another company that had been previously arranged. That said, we enjoyed the day BUT there were several things that occured that simply shouldn't have. Spanish Trails contracted with another company to pick up the seven of us at the port. After one hour, we were still waiting. We were docked at the newer port terminal and not the one where the taxi cab driver thought we were to be. Tracy's husband, Charles, also American, was quick to blame the taxi driver. HOWEVER, we were the only ship in port that day, at either port, and frankly, you can see a big ship from anywhere in the downtown Barcelona area. Charles said the driver told him the ship "didn't come into port" and we weren't there. It seems if you knew you had customers who were coming in AND had already paid, you would be trying to find them. Luckily, one our tour participants had a cell phone with international service so we were able to call the office (got the answering machine) but Tracy did call back and tried to correct the situation by talking to the taxi driver and telling him where we were.

O.K. so we had a lot of time to make up because I had a very intensive itinerary that I had created to fulfill everyone's wishes from our roll call starting with La Familia Sagrada. At this point, Charles, the husband, was our driver and guide. As he pointed out, his area of speciality involves the hiking at Montserrat as well as the winery region of Peneres, which we were headed to both later in the day. Hiking we weren't interested in but wine yes and I made sure that we went to a small family boutique winery that was known for producing big, beautiful red wines.

Another big problem was the "snack" that we were to receive in the snack shop at Montserrat. Charles had no idea what we were talking about and if "Tracy said we got it, then we got it." Said we could get whatever we wanted as this was to tie us over until our late lunch at the winery. He didn't have enough cash when we were at the cash register and pulled out the VISA. It was kind of embarrassing. This was after we were told to "share the sandwiches". This could have been handled much better and since we had an odd number of people, the sharing wasn't going to be the same. A couple from Australia who were with us really had issues at this point and couldn't understand why it was happening. I agree. He should have just gotten seven bottles of water and seven pastries or seven sandwiches and been done with it.

We proceeded to see the boys choir perform and then left for the trip to the winery. Again, everyone was very anxious to eat lunch BUT we had to wait and wait again until we got to the cellar and sit down to food. After we got to eat and the wine was free flowing, everyone was in much better spirits.

Spanish Trails was very accommodating to what we wanted to do with our time so I guess I don't have any regrets about the day. They said they were in a dilemma with me because they didn't know whom to send on the excursion. Apparently, they have one person who normally does the Barcelona highlights, another who does Montserrat, another who does wineries etc.

But we did pay very well for it also -- my family of four was 560 Euros or 115 each including my two children (ages 11 and 19), who do not drink. There was no reduction in those fees, which I think could have been reduced a bit.

The whole day was 905 Euros. This was our third time in Barcelona and now I feel like I have done everything that I have ever wanted to do there. Next time, I will be heading to the beach.

Thanks so much jdvmd! Wow! That was incredibly helpful. I'm glad to know they're a legitimate operation, but at the same time I'm a bit worried about their level of professionalism. That being said, they're quite a bit less expensive than Pepito Tours, which I understand comes highly recommended on these boards -- the difference would be in the neighbourhood of 300 euros LESS expensive over the two days. That's quite a bit considering we've hired Rome in Limo for Rome and for Florence/Pisa . . . and a private driver/guide for the Marseilles port. Our tour budget is a bit bloated at the moment. I think I'll try to confirm all the details beforehand with as much detail as possible . . .

Aside from the glitches, can you tell me what you thought of thought of the tour itself as far as it being informative and interesting? Did you feel you were missing anything by having a ex-pat American doing the tour instead of a native of the area?

Thanks!

Hi SmilesforFree,

I just rechecked my emails from Tracy and we paid 105 Euros a piece, not 115 as I mentioned above. It would have been 115 each if we had four or five people but we had seven so the price was 10 Euros cheaper. We also paid our admittance fees separately.

I actually am surprised that they are cheaper than the other company. May I ask what you are planning to do over the two days? I know my price went up because we did have to drive some distances over the course of the day. That is a huge difference. Just make sure you are comparing apples to apples etc. If it is the same, I would go with Spanish Trails as 300 Euros is a HUGE difference.

Again, the communication from Tracy was top notch and it was extremely detailed. That's what I loved. It was the execution of those details. Tracy was very clear about traffic in Barcelona and what time we needed to leave etc., how long to spend at LaFamilia and Casa Batou. When we were running late due to not being picked up, Charles said "no problem. We are doing great on time. This actually worked out better."

Charles did apologize and said they appreciated our business and "they were never using that transport company again." Spanish Trails doesn't have a taxi license and is not allowed into the ports so they have to use a private company to transport to another pickup point.

They do have some local guides so you probably will have the Spanish flavor. I personally liked having an American taking us around. Charles has been in Spain for 12 years. They also coordinate students coming over for exchange programs etc. He knew a lot of Catalonian history etc. and is fluent.

I think the main difference in the pricing actually comes from the type of vehicle used. The other companies suggest getting a minibus/coach instead of a minivan for both the transports and tours, since we're a party of 8, with six adults and two toddlers. What was your opinion of the transport taxi space -- and what about the tour vehicle for space? I noticed that you had a party of 7 -- which is likely equivalent to 6 adults and 2 toddlers. I think we should be fine, but a second opinion would be much appreciated. For luggage, we'd probably be bringing 8 large suitcases and 4 carry-ons.

Our tours: Barcelona Highlights Tour and a Montserrat Tour (no wine).

And yes, I totally agree with you that Tracy's e-mails are highly detailed and very helpful. She really knows her stuff (opening closing times, traffice etc.)

We had a mini van with two of us seated in the back, three in the middle and two in the front with Charles. Didn't have any luggage but I don't know where they would have put it if we did. I would ask Tracy exactly where it would go. I assume you are being picked up at the airport and then touring.

We had a mini van with two of us seated in the back, three in the middle and two in the front with Charles. Didn't have any luggage but I don't know where they would have put it if we did. I would ask Tracy exactly where it would go. I assume you are being picked up at the airport and then touring.

Oh! I think I get it now. Without the taxi licence they must have to contract out for airport pickups and port dropoffs. They must do their own tours though with their own vehicle. I think we will go ahead and book with them -- I SO appreciate all your info!!!! You've been such a big help! Thanks.

Oh! I think I get it now. Without the taxi licence they must have to contract out for airport pickups and port dropoffs. They must do their own tours though with their own vehicle. I think we will go ahead and book with them -- I SO appreciate all your info!!!! You've been such a big help! Thanks.

Not sure about needing a license for the airport but it is needed for the port(s).

Archived