help please ferries sorrento/postiano and back

grapejuice

Question 1 Are the ferries/boats reliable

Question 2 If seas are calm and boats operating do they arrive and depart on time?

Question 3 I assume from my limited research I catch MM2 or MM3 to go from Sorrento to Positano and back

Question 4 How long is the journey from Sorrento to Positano by the ferry/boat

Question 5 If it is easy to do why doesnt more people travel this way instead of the road with traffic snarls etc

Question 6 Is there somebody at Sorrento when I buy the tickets who can help me with the timetable and show me how it works and Because I for one cannot work out the ferry timetable. From my research (Im blonde)

it is stupid.

I will catch the Sita bus if ferry doesnt work out

Again where do i catch that from in Sorrento

Thanks a million

I can report back to you in a couple weeks with some answers to your questions. This is what we plan to do if the weather is good. (we have already walked around Naples and been to Pompei)

Ship docks at 7:00am

Take ferry to Positano (earliest ferry around 8:25?? for a 1 hour ride)

Bus from Positano to Sorrento

Train or ferry from Sorrento back to Naples

Ship leaves at 6:00 (back on board by 5:30)

We are here on a Sunday so we may not have as many routes for ferry and bus that others would have.

Thanks a million

From my research it looks like the bus station is right next to the train station in Sorrento. We did take the train to Pompei that goes on to Sorrento. (Circumvesuviana) It is an easy walk back to the ship from the station in Naples.

I hope they are running October 4th, if not I guess we will take the train. Here is some info I found on a google search:

By Boat to the Amalfi Coast

Headquartered in Naples, the Metro del Mare is an extension of urban public transport -- by sea. Operating since 2002, it connects the northern ports of Bacoli and Pozzuoli to Naples and from there goes to Sorrento, Positano, and Amalfi. The service runs from May through October, with three boats a day between Naples and Positano. Check the local papers (Il Mattino or La Repubblica) for timetables or go to http://www.metrodelmare.com. A one-way ticket costs EUR10, making it the cheapest way to get around by sea. In addition to this public transport service, many commercial ferries and hydrofoils run year-round, but offer the most trips in high season. To get to smaller towns or to take private boats, you

Question 1 Are the ferries/boats reliable

Yes, they are very reliable and you can almost set your watch by their schedule.

Question 2 If seas are calm and boats operating do they arrive and depart on time?

Yes. However, the boats from Sorrento to Positano are not as reliable as boats going from Naples.

Question 3 I assume from my limited research I catch MM2 or MM3 to go from Sorrento to Positano and back

That is true, however you need to carefully check the boat timetables when you get near your trip and again verify the schedules when you arrive at the ferry terminal. Keep in mind that boats that go all the way to Positano are very limited.

Question 4 How long is the journey from Sorrento to Positano by the ferry/boat

From Sorrento to Positano should take about 30 min depending on the type of boat. Keep in mind that there are not many boats on this route so you do need to look at the schedule both ways. The alternative is to take the SITA bus from the Sorrento bus station to Positano (this bus runs at least once and hour and usually more often).

Question 5 If it is easy to do why doesnt more people travel this way instead of the road with traffic snarls etc

Good question. The problem is that the boats do have a limited schedule where a car can go whenever you want. Getting from Naples to Sorrento by car is quite easy as there is a major highway for most of the route. The drive from Sorrento to Positano (Amalfi Drive) is one of the most famous drives in the world (some terrific views) which makes this a popular option.

Question 6 Is there somebody at Sorrento when I buy the tickets who can help me with the timetable and show me how it works and Because I for one cannot work out the ferry timetable. From my research (Im blonde)

it is stupid.

This is a bit hit and miss. Most of the ticket clerks speak some English and the schedules are pretty easy to read at the ticket office since they clearly post the boats coming and going to that location. If the clerk is not helpful just try asking other folks around the pier.

As I previously posted, you can catch the SITA bus right at the Sorrento train station (this is actually where it starts its run. You should buy tickets in advance and you can get them at the tobacco kisok.

Thanks a million

Hank

Thank you Hank.

When you travelled the coast road on the

Sita bus, did you encounter any traffic snarls etc

I am so looking forward to visiting Positano, but the thought of getting back to the boat in time is starting to worry me. I just want to go there and relax and enjoy.

Even though we did a private van tour on our first trip to this area........ at the very end of the full day tour, we took the ferry (not the hydrofoil) from Sorrento back to Naples. This is the ferry that the locals use to get back and forth from work as many commute this way. I think we were the only group of tourists on board. This was really late November. So.....the hydrofoil does not always run.....but the ferries will if at all possible as the locals depend on them.

We had all voted to ferry back as it is quicker than driving and also allowed us to see this area in another way instead of driving back over territory we had already covered. We enjoyed it. Took about 35 minutes from Sorrento to Naples. The ferry docked right next to our ship - a very short walk. Convenient.

Again thankyou wonderful Hank

I forgot to ask

Just say you took the ferry from Sorrento to Positano and

If you take the Sita bus back to Sorrento is the bus terminal easy to find in Positano, and would you recommend doing it this way?

A few years ago we did use the SITA bus and it was a crowded day with standing room only on the bus. You catch the bus right outside the Sorrento train station so it is easy to find (just ask anyone where to find the SITA bus to Positano). As I said, buy your ticket at a tobacco shop or kiosk (there is a place right in the station) before you get on the bus. The buses do somehow manage to keep to their schedule, but if there was a unexpected accident (or road construction) they could be delayed. The best seats on the bus (when heading towards Positano from Sorrento) would be on the right side.

Regarding Positano, they really do not have what I would call a bus station. There is an area where they park buses and they have a couple of stops within Positano (there is actually only a single one-way road that runs through Positano). Since we have not used the SITA bus in several years I would not want to guess as to the exact location of the stops. For the past several years we like to spend a few nights on the coast but we stay in a town called Praiano which is about 5 miles east of Positano. We than use the local Orange bus to get to Positano (I prefer not to drive my own car an hassle with the parking) but that is a different bus line than the SITA bus from Sorrento. But, within Positano everything is within walking distance (although you do have to go up and down steps or slopes) and English is very widely spoken. Never hesitate to ask locals for help as you will find most folks in Italy are very friendly towards tourists.

Hank

Archived