So how much do they spend on spirits? - I'm going to tell you

Capt. John

Hi everybody,

We just are off the Legend yesterday (the Pride was docked nowhere us) in Ft Lauderdale. It was so crowded at our pier (#24) that our bow was actually tucked under the bow of the mega ship Jewel of the Seas (RCL). Our stern was even hanging off the end a little!

But I digress...

I was chatting with Dirk the bar waiter at the Skybar a couple of days ago and I was curious about Seabourn's spirits (beer-wine-etc) bill for a typical two week cruise. Dirk had some ready statistics: each ship spends about $60,000 to $80,000 for an average 14 day cruise. This is about $300-400 PER PERSON figuring about 200 people per cruise.

Dirk also said just at the Skybar, he usually goes through about 24 bottles of champagne daily (I think the Brits LOVE champagne.)

Happy New Year to all,

Capt. John

Open Booking - probably Valpariso to Rio in Jan 2006

Very interesting statistic! Now THAT would be a great trivia question!!

How was the cruise? Was Dan Hodge the CD? Also, did you happen to meet the new President of Seabourn, Deborah Natasohn?

Have a very happy 2005!!

CruiserDan

Very useful info which, I'm sure, will be cited on other cruiseline boards during debates about the merits and costs of all-inclusive cruises. Actually, not as much as I thought it would be-about $29 per day per person on a 14 day cruise. On my recent Celebrity cruise, my daily bar bill (two martinis and two glasses of wine) was about $44 (including tips). Of course, some folks, even on Seabourn, don't drink so these figures might not look so good to them.

Yup - Dan was the Cruise Director. He is always on the ball (and very talented)! Wife Irene and son Jeffery were aboard. Jeffery is taller than his mom now (we last saw them two years ago.)

Rant -ON-

My big issue with the cruise was embarkation. We were dumped into the King Olaf lounge and everybody was standing in line to get processed in. It was such a fiasco that you had to fight to get to a place to just sit down due to the aisle being blocked. The right way (like they did it on the Pride) is to hand out numbers as you enter; then you sit down until your number is called (and have an adult beverage or two in comfort.)

Rant -OFF-

Understanding what you pay for extras on other lines is important when trying to determine value for the money. Seabourn costs a lot upfront but if you like two or three mixed drinks (or whatever) a day and a couple of glasses of wine with dinner, etc., etc., Seabourn becomes less "luxury" priced. The other thing about all inclusive is if you are having a get-together with friends (happens all the time), there is no fumbling around about who pays when the drinks are delivered. I also detest the tip thing. Not dealing with that is a pleasure.

Capt. John

Open booking - who knows?

It's all about "what is cost"?

Cruiserguy, your $44/day bar bill , 2 'tinis and 2 wines, is about $6-8 actual cost!

Cost is the actual outlay.....I'd be very surprised if that is much more than about $10 p/p/p/day! Cap'n John notes about $150/200 per week in the opening post, $20-30 per person per day! Not possible, recognizing many people drink very little, or none, each day. I'll assume that was the "billing" cost "lost", not the actual cost outlay each day!

>"Our stern was even hanging off the end a little!"

Sad to say, mine does too.

Jane in PHL

It appears that I gained three kilos :-( in two weeks. We worked out in the gym three times a week to boot! I'm working on getting the overhang issue resolved :-)

Capt. John

Open booking - Pride? Spirit? Legend?

Very interesting statistic! Now THAT would be a great trivia question!!

How was the cruise? Was Dan Hodge the CD? Also, did you happen to meet the new President of Seabourn, Deborah Natasohn?

Have a very happy 2005!!

CruiserDan

Oops CruiserDan.. forgot to comment on Seabourn Prez..

Word was that she was aboard, but she was a "non-advertised" entity. No public announcement was ever made (that I was aware of) and I'm not sure I ever noticed her. Several passengers joined about halfway and she was probably one of those joiners.

A good 2005 to you as well!

Capt. John

Undecided with Open Booking

Hi Capt John - Sorry we didn't meet onboard.....Well, I'm assuming we didn't. I met so many people during the 2 weeks its hard to remember!:p

I was also on Legend for the holiday cruise. First time on Seabourn and although I loved the experience for the most part, I did find a few things that I thought could have been done a little better....

Capt John is quite correct in his statements regarding embarkation. I stood in line in the King Olaf Lounge for at least 25 minutes to hand over my passport, have a security photo taken, and give credit card info. At the prices Seabourn charges, this was not acceptable.

Disembarkation was equally bad. We were told by Monika Ernst-the shore excursion/travel person onboard- that there was really no need to reserve a private car for the 2 of us to get where we needed to go in Ft. Lauderdale, as there would be-and I quote- "...a line of taxis waiting for the Seabourn passengers in front of the terminal". Needless to say, we did not reserve private transportation. When we arrived at the front of the terminal, it was mass chaos. Every taxi entering Port Everglades was picking up passengers from the other cruiselines before they ever got down to our terminal. We stood on the curb for over an hour until the porter who had taken our luggage outside took pity on us and called a friend of his who is a cab driver. We were told that it would be about 20 minutes and we were very grateful. The cab driver called the porter back a few minutes later and told him that he was in a very long line of cars trying to get into the port and he had no idea how long it would take to get to us. As we were trying to get to a rental car place, he advised us to take their shuttle if it got to us before he did. After about another 20 minutes, the rental car shuttle got to us and we finally got out of the port. The bottom line on this is that had we not been misled by the onboard person, we would have gone ahead and reserved private transportation-which was what we had intended to do in the first place.

The bed pillows in the suite were dreadful. They seemed to be some kind of foam and were quite lumpy. We had a wonderful stewardess and when we mentioned the sorry state of the pillows to her she immediately offered to try and find us some better ones. However, she did say that there were no down or feather pillows onboard anymore because they had all been taken by passengers. A cruiseline that advertises that they provide "unsurpassed luxury" should provide better pillows.

The friend traveling with me had a problem with room service one night and was spoken to somewhat rudely. I happened to be chatting with the Maitre'd the following day and I mentioned the problem to him. He apologized and said it would be taken care of. Within an hour, a bottle of Dom was delivered-along with a note of apology-to my friend. This was not expected and I thought it a most gracious gesture.

Now I'm through with the less than pleasant. (I won't go into the terrible shoreside customer service prior to the cruise)

The service I exerienced by and large while onboard surpassed any I have received both on other cruiselines or in fine hotels. By the first morning out of Ft. Lauderdale, it seemed that every staff member knew my name. After my first drink in The Club, every time I walked in the bartender, Stevan, asked if I wanted the usual-even down to the glass of water. After ordering at the Pool Bar once, Dirk-the bartender- did the same thing. These are just 2 examples of the wonderful service I received everywhere onboard.

Our cabin stewardess, Kyle, was fabulous. After a day or so she knew our routines, was always available, and was always smiling and very pleasant.

The food in The Restaurant was superb. In fact, the food everywhere onboard, I thought, was wonderful!

The beach picnic on Prickly Pear was incredible! The weather was wonderful that day and everyone, including the staff, seemed to really be enjoying themselves! The deck party/Rock the Boat evening was super as well. There was a full moon, the stars were out, passengers were dancing, and everyone was having such a great time! Both of those events will remain very good memories for me.........

We had approximately 175 passengers onboard and 165 crew. The small number of passengers made it very easy to meet people and I really enjoyed that. I also thought the invitations to hosted tables at dinner was a nice touch.

I want to mention one of the asst CD's onboard who went out of her way to make me feel welcome. Her name is Marla Sanders and not only is she a great singer/entertainer, she is one of the nicest people ever.

I brought home a lot of very nice memories from this cruise and overall, enjoyed my 14 days onboard Legend. Would I book Seabourn again? Yes. In fact, I'm now looking at 2005's holiday cruise on Pride. I haven't booked it yet, but I do like the itinerary. I'm also considering trying Silversea with some people I met on Legend, for next Christmas. No decisions yet, its still a long way away.....................

Almost forgot - I did meet the new president onboard. We had quite a chat in the water at Prickly Pear. She and a few family members came onboard in St. Maarten. She was very pleasant to me and was interested in what I thought of Seabourn as a first-timer. I was told a couple days later that she was seen entering The Restaurant in a bathing suit and cover-up and was allowed in. I thought that was not the best behavior for the President of the company..................

Claudia

Ok, if I add up my cruise costs, I pay about $3,500 (cabin cost, drinks, diving, excursions) for DH and I to go. This does not include airfare and is for a 7 day Carribean cruise in a oceanview room. (Actual window, no portholes) Add on airfare and I usually pay about $4,000 for a cruise vacation. I always fly in the day ahead and have food and hotel cost so add on another $200. What does Seabourne cost. Could I even come close to being able to do it so inexpensively.

Are you referring to Deborah Nathanson? We are not happy to hear that our new "president" is helping to erode the Seabourn dress code--one of the things that make Seabourn so special! We have heard that some other "unfortunate" things have been happening onboard lately. (For example,

the "loss" of our fabulous Trevor Coutts as Hotel manager along with many

beloved staff "abandoning" Seabourn.) Why were so many children and babies, in particular, allowed onboard? These things are puzzling us as Seabourn continues to build its clientele. This is not the Seabourn Way! Are you listening Seabourn?

cruisecrazy - That is exactly who I was referring to. Many people were shocked and not happy about that. I also heard many comments from long-time Seabourn sailors about the slipping of dress-code standards. Men and women in shorts in the Restaurant at lunch was observed by people several times. On the last day of the cruise I was in the Midnight Sun at teatime and a woman strolled in wearing a 2-piece bathing suit sans coverup..........I almost choked on my tea!

Claudia

Ok, if I add up my cruise costs, I pay about $3,500 (cabin cost, drinks, diving, excursions) for DH and I to go. This does not include airfare and is for a 7 day Carribean cruise in a oceanview room. (Actual window, no portholes) Add on airfare and I usually pay about $4,000 for a cruise vacation. I always fly in the day ahead and have food and hotel cost so add on another $200. What does Seabourne cost. Could I even come close to being able to do it so inexpensively.

Juli - figure about $500 to $750 per day per passenger (assumes two). It is difficult to pin it down due to the fact that Seabourn prices cabins based on how fast they book (or don't). Some less popular itineraries may be discounted 50% or even more over published fares. Also, if you combine segments to create a "grand voyage" (>= 21 days), the third week is essentially "free." It also depends on airfare, staying a night pre or post, etc., etc.

Having said all that, I don't think you will find the price attractive when compared to the standard or even premium cruise products. Seabourn is positioned in the luxury segment - competition is Silverseas, Crystal, and Radisson. ... you gets what you pay for...

Capt. John

Saved 5% on a future cruise with an open booking

Hi Capt John - Sorry we didn't meet onboard.....Well, I'm assuming we didn't. I met so many people during the 2 weeks its hard to remember!:p

--snip--

When we arrived at the front of the terminal, it was mass chaos. Every taxi entering Port Everglades was picking up passengers from the other cruiselines before they ever got down to our terminal. We stood on the curb for over an hour until the porter who had taken our luggage outside took pity on us and called a friend of his who is a cab driver.

--snip--

The bed pillows in the suite were dreadful.

--snip--

The friend traveling with me had a problem with room service one night and was spoken to somewhat rudely. Within an hour, a bottle of Dom was delivered-along with a note of apology-to my friend. This was not expected and I thought it a most gracious gesture.

Claudia

Hi Claudia,

Yup - sorry that we didn't hook up. Maybe next cruise!

I absolutely detest the embarkation and disembarkation in Ft Lauderdale! We are able to drive (we live 4 hours away), but it is still a huge hassle unloading and loading the car due to the *amazing* chaos at the port on Sundays. Traffic IS a nightmare and I am amazed there aren't road rage incidents at the port! You got some very bad advice from Monika about getting a taxi on the fly. She probably assumed that because she always sees lots of taxis around the port, they would be easy to hail. Bad, very bad to assume.

What I have found in regards to the bedding is that we always get two feather and two foam pillows. I like feather/down and my wife likes foam. I'm really suprised that you weren't accomodiated. The sheets are actually quite high-end. In fact I commented to my wife that the thread count of the bedding was very high. Much better than we use at home.

Encountering a rude crew member is very unusual. It has never happened to us after five Seabourn cruises. We have had encounters with staff that were just "polite", but never rude or hostile. Some crew do the minimum expected, and some excel and truly enjoy what they do for a living. Most I would classify as the latter. I suspect if they get even a few negative comments to management about their performance, their contract is not renewed.

Best advice about dealing with problems is to immediately bring them to management's attention (as was done.) They are *very* interested in having happy passengers. In fact I emailed Norbert (Hotel Manager) and Dan Hodge (CD) after we returned home about the debacle with embarkation processing in the lounge. Norbert quickly responded and said they were immediately adopting the Pride's system of handing out numbers and then asking the passengers to have a seat in the lounge until the number is called. It will be interesting to see if that is actually acted upon.

The clothing/dress issue is an interesting one. Seabourn will enact whatever dress policy they think their market demands. If that winds up being string bikinis in the dining rooms, that's what it will be. Remember that dress policy is just another business decision relating to filling up cabins (oops, I mean suites.) Personally, I didn't even care for them relaxing the black tie rules to include dark suites. My wife loves to dress up once in a while and loves to see me in a tux. If you don't want to wear a tux, then eat in your cabin, or in the veranda.

I'm glad you had very many positive things to relate about your experience. Not everything works as expected all the time. We just try to deal with things that don't go well and keep a positive attitude. Usually we quickly forget about the little problems and remember the good times!

See you around,

Capt. John

Open booking

Capt John - I shared my thoughts on embarkation in Ft. Lauderdale with the new president when I met her on Prickly Pear. Otherwise, please don't think that the few negatives I mentioned will keep me from sailing Seabourn in the future-quite the contrary! Already looking at next Christmas/New Years!

Claudia

Are you referring to Deborah Nathanson? We are not happy to hear that our new "president" is helping to erode the Seabourn dress code--one of the things that make Seabourn so special! We have heard that some other "unfortunate" things have been happening onboard lately. (For example,

the "loss" of our fabulous Trevor Coutts as Hotel manager along with many

beloved staff "abandoning" Seabourn.) Why were so many children and babies, in particular, allowed onboard? These things are puzzling us as Seabourn continues to build its clientele. This is not the Seabourn Way! Are you listening Seabourn?

I just asked someone on board the Pride and Trevor is not leaving.

As for staff leaving there are a number of reasons. First of all Seabourn pay in dollars and with the dollar doing so badly the wages are worth far less than they were before.

Also, the crew are not treated as well as they were. An example in point. I had to leave the Pride in OCtober because my father died. I had already resigned from the ship and decided not to come back because of a number of reasons but was going to work out my notice which would have taken me to the end of my contract anyway. Then I got the message from home that my father was dying and that I should get home as soon as possible. I stayed for a couple of days so they could get someone out to replace me as the ship grinds to a halt without a stage manager and I was not going to leave Eric and the team stranded. I still had to pay for my own flight home AND pay for the flight of the person that came out to replace me. I have to say I find that absolutely disgusting but was glad that I did as I managed to get home just a few hours before my father died and was with him at the end. Needless to say I will never consider going to work for Seabourn again after that. I had a good time there, have many happy memories, met some great people, made some very close friends and learned a lot but my treatment at the end was dispicable and will give you some idea of why people are moving on from Seabourn to somewhere they will be treated better.

Phil

We are so sorry that you were treated in that inexcuseable way! We absolutely adore Seabourn staff and feel as if they are family, truly. We are sensitive to things like this and are not happy to hear you are being treated in this totally inappropriate manner. We expect the very best from Seabourn in all regards! Re; swimsuits in the dining room--this is simply not acceptable on Seabourn. That the "president" appeared in such inappropriate attire in our fabulous dining room is totally unacceptable. This is not the Seabourn Way.

mcboo~~~On our recent Dec. 12-19th Carib cruise one morning at breakfast, in the dining room, chairsin, Hubby and I were having breakfast......a lady wore a bathing suit cover-up type outfit. I have NEVER seen this before.......I totally agree with the above posters........let's stick with the Seabourn dress code!!!

Are you listening Blue Lagoon Dr.????

MB

p.s. mcboo~~~my goats prefer Christian Dior, JADOT, perfume!

While I was on Legend, some longtime Seabourn lovers were talking about "slipping standards" onboard. They were very concerned that Seabourn is relaxing dress codes, etc., in order to appeal more to people who might normally prefer a mass-market line. Since this was my first time on Seabourn, I had no basis for comparison.........

One interesting thing - A couple that I spent some time with onboard Legend got off Pride the day they boarded Legend. They told me the difference in Legend and Pride in the areas of service and food was incredible, with the nod going to Pride. Have to say that I thought the service on Legend superb and the food wonderful, but again, I had no basis for comparison..........

Claudia

Claudia~~~I know both the couples that disembarked the Pride on Dec. 19th, then boarded the Legend........by the way, one couple, the "D's" from Scottsdale, are two of my favorite Seabournites! Great folks! As to the service.........I've sailed both ships and I think the service on the Pride is much better. However, my Brother has always preferred the Legend, sooooo, it's a matter of "opinion and taste."

I so hope that Seabourn does not relax our dress codes.......I have observed that the "Crossing's" are always more formal........perhaps, it's the older, seasoned Sailors on board.

A few of us have been watching the Pride go thru' the Gatun Locks, Panama, this morning. "She" looked beautiful, as always! They will "slide" thru the Miraflores Locks around 11:00 tonight. (10:00 Central Time)

MB

I sailed Legend last year and Pride this year. I must say I really found no difference in the level of service between the two - both were impeccable. I did notice that a number of crew from the Legend last year had transferred to the Pride this year. When I asked the reason, they said that they wanted the more varied itineraries of the Pride.

I'll fess up that I either empty the opened spirit bottles or (if spending a few days ashore post-cruise) take them with me for cocktail hour on my hotel balcony. There's no way I think opened bottles should be put back into circulation, notwithstanding the antiseptic powers of alcohol! I leave the unopened bottles, of course.

Miss Martita -

That is the couple I spent some time with! Aren't they fabulous?!!!! Loved both of them........ They were NOT happy with things on the Legend-especially after the wonderful experience they said they had on Pride.

I thought the service I received on Legend was superb, but again it was my first time on Seabourn and I had nothing to compare it to.

I think you would have been surprised to see how some were dressed on a few occasions............

Claudia

Archived