San Diego Port Weather

Pearl Jammer

Thanks for the info.

We have a couple of weeks until we leave - (arriving January 15th for a January 17th cruise) - hope the weather warms up - or at least, I hope the rain subsides. No matter what - I'm bringing my rain coat. I need it anyway - have to have some kind of coat when I get off the plane in "always balmy in January" Chicago.

Can you recommend a "must go" restaurant for a nice sit down dinner on Saturday or Sunday night?

Gee - can't believe it. Less than two weeks until we leave for our cruise. :D :D

Are you, by any chance, taking the Mercury to the Mexican Riviera?

Yup, I'm taking the Mercury to Mexico on 1/7/05...just missed ya!

As for a nice restaurant, I highly recommend going to the "Gaslamp District". There is a wide variety of yummy places. For a fantastic steak dinner, I rather enjoy The Gaslamp Strip Club--it's not what it sounds like--nobody is naked. :D

But...if you're NOT cruising out of here THIS week, remember we have about 350 days of sunshine a year...the current storm can't last forever...

High today in San Diego per the LA Times is 59...High in Downtown LA and in Long Beach is 57...

But the "average" high for January 3 is 68--so this IS an unusual cold spell...

The Rain is supposed to stop after today, turning to "partly cloudy" and the temperature should go up about 3-5 degrees between now and the weekend...

BTW, last year I did a 3-nighter to Ensenada the same dates as this weekend (January 9-12) and the weather was sunny and in the mid 70s all cruise long...In a couple of weeks, it could easily be the same...

Good luck...

Oh...Restaurants...

Special?

Try this one:

http://www.bertrandatmisteras.com/

Or...Just wander the Gaslamp...Maybe Croce's (owned by the family of the late Jim Croce)...

Anthony's Fish Grotto, right along the waterfront near the pier seems to be a favorite of a lot of cruisers seeking sea food (although I am not that big a fan)

I agree with your favorite "Strip Club." The strip stands for strip steaks. But, be warned that there are grills and you cook your own steak or chicken. However, the quality is excellent and the side dishes are really yummy. Another nice restaurant in the area is Lou and Mickey's. All are in the Gaslamp area and a fairly short ride from the pier and most downtown hotels.

I've been watching the weather in SD....not good, but we will have fun anyway!!!! Quite like our PA weather ...... but this is very unseasonable for us!!!!! Doesnt look like it will be much better in Cabo, but looks better when we get farther south!!!! Guess I will be bringing cold and warm weather clothing......UGH...maybe that is why I am procrastinating on packing, but I need to get my "you know what" in gear!!!!!! We will be w/ you Pearljammer!!!!

I've been watching the weather in SD....not good, but we will have fun anyway!!!! Quite like our PA weather ...... but this is very unseasonable for us!!!!! Doesnt look like it will be much better in Cabo, but looks better when we get farther south!!!! Guess I will be bringing cold and warm weather clothing......UGH...maybe that is why I am procrastinating on packing, but I need to get my "you know what" in gear!!!!!! We will be w/ you Pearljammer!!!!

Can't wait to meet you! I should be able to spot...I'll probably be the only 25 year old on the cruise! :D But don't worry...I'm lots of fun

Some of the restaurants mentioned are rather boring. I'd definitely consider trying George's, the food is great, also there is a place that's kind of a spanish type restaurant and the food is AMAZING:) They do $9.95 Maine lobsters on Thurs nights and on Saturday nights I believe they have Spanish Dancers, it's called Ole' Madrid. GREAT food! If you're looking for Brazilian food, there's a place near Horton Plaza, actually right across the street that is great. Many GREAT options, if you're looking for great food and a good brewery definitely try The Yard House! Best of luck and have a great cruise!A

...if you're looking for great food and a good brewery definitely try The Yard House!

"The Yard" is actually one of my favorites...I just usually hesitate to suggest it to out-of-town tourists looking for something "special"...It's in the Gaslamp and it's really a large "Sports Bar" sort of atmosphere, more bar and microbrewery than restaurant...with TVs and such...Being a big sports fan, it's my kind of place...They've got some really good sandwiches...and a lot of the regular dinner menu entrees are quite unique and different...

The reason I gave the link to Bertrand at Mister As was for the notion of a "special" dinner...the prices are fairly high by San Diego standards and the dining experience a bit stuffy...but, it's more of a formal place with gourmet quality food and outstanding views--not the typical laid back casual dining establishment most of us SoCals are accustomed to ...

Heck, if it's me, I head over to PB and eat at Fillippi's...

I'm up for anything - we will have all the formal sit-downs we need on our cruise - so maybe we should go for a unique - fun atmosphere place on Sunday night. However, I would like to avoid places with TV's. I find I cannot concentrate when there's a TV around - it draws me in - and I find myself watching even if I'm not interested in what's on the tube.

What do the rest of you think? Are you up for a pre-cruise Meet and Eat?

Thanks for the weather update. Can anyone suggest a Mexican Restaurant in the Gas Lamp area that is not TexMex but more the blend of the Indian and Mexican cuisines from Mexico with things like Sopapillas and Carne ada Vada and the flat enchaladas ? See everyone at Pier B on Friday Jan 7th !

Over at "Roll Calls - Celebrity Connections - Mercury 01-17-05 - Mexican Riviera" - they are trying to get something going for a Meet & Eat for Sunday, January 16th.

There are more people over there than here - so for those of us on the January 17th cruise - I am suggesting we make our dinner plans over on that board with those other folks. Bring your suggestions about restaurants with you.

We were on Mercuty Nov 26th & we were pretty darn cold while coming & going to/from SD, only high 50's-low 60's! Take warm jackets & some long pants!

We ate at Trattoria La Strata (sp?) in Gaslamp, VERY good Italian & great atmosphere!

We were on Mercuty Nov 26th & we were pretty darn cold while coming & going to/from SD, only high 50's-low 60's! Take warm jackets & some long pants!

We ate at Trattoria La Strata (sp?) in Gaslamp, VERY good Italian & great atmosphere!

LOL! The company I work for actually insures Trattoria La Strada :D I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it!

The San Diego Cruise Ship Termnal is indoors. Here's a link to a webcam. The terminal is in the bottom right corner, projecting up at about a 45-degree angle. But if more than one cruise ship is in port, you may get rained on, if your ship is not the one right next to the terminal building. Stay dry!

http://live6.truelook.com/face/newface.jsp?func=live&name=/ecodb/1amnorth/camera1&pan=-111.72804&tilt=-3.8719575&panfov=2.6191535&tiltfov=2.0414815&overlay=default&skin=default&useapplet=true&time=1104875520244&width=640&height=480&quality=65&catalogname=catalog&imagemap.x=-3660&imagemap.y=-2745&imagemap.w=7960&imagemap.h=5970

Wow - you guys are really catching it. We had our first actual snowstorm yesterday - enough to plow. It's unusual to escape bad weather this long, but it was nice. For us, however, bad weather in the winter is a "given." Hate it - but that's life in the midwest during winter. YUCK.

Rainy day in San Diego today for Pearl Jammer's departure on Mercury. But I'm sure Pearl Jammer will tough it out. From live webcam, looks like very little activity at 3:45 p.m. Must be that everyone is aboard.

Bon Voyage!

Hi folks:)

Weather update.....tomorrow the Jets are playing the Chargers in San Diego...first round of the NFL Wildcard playoff game.....watching Sportscenter;)

The game starts at 8:00 Eastern Time.......5:00 Pacific time........they are expecting RAIN all day and throughout the game.....temps in the 50's......

I love the Harbour House in Seaport Village...great views!

http://www.harborhouse-sandiego.com/home.htm

For something fun, Buster's (kind of a surfer/parrothead bar/restaurant.) They have a very creative menu and friendly service.

http://www.bustersbeachhouse.com/

I just returned from downtown. Yes, it's wet. But San Diego is always beautiful. Welcome to our piece of paradise! Cindie

Archived