Poll: Are jeans or shorts appropriate for casual night in the MDR?

Are jeans or shorts acceptable in the MDR for casual night?  

1,131 members have voted

1. 1. Are jeans or shorts acceptable in the MDR for casual night?

• Jeans are fine, shorts are not.
    • Jeans are not okay, shorts are fine.
    • Jeans and shorts are fine.
    • Neither are okay in MDR!
    • Heck - I'd wear either on Formal Night!!

So, I can't believe I don't see one of these polls for us since it brings forth such passion!!!:p Anyway, I find jeans to be appropriate and not at all prohibited in the dining room. As I've said before, being a youngish woman, I wouldn't wear say, dockers or dress pants for dinner out. I would, however, wear jeans, heels and a great dressy top - for me that is comfortable and also a current, great look for casual night.

I would not, however, wear shorts because they do specifically ask for us not to wear them at night in the MDR.

so........let your passion loose! Vote!:D

OOOps! Incomplete poll.

What about Jean Shorts?

And sweat pants and gym shorts and jogging pants or shorts in the MDR.

See, if this kind of rules infraction is allowed, where is the line drawn?

Or jeans with holes and are ripped or jeans with just one hole, etc. etc. etc.

Peter

Maybe being someone into fashion who loves designer jeans I view jeans as much "fancier" than shorts and when they are tailored and my husband and I can look more put together in a pair of jeans than people I have seen in the MDR do in khakis.

IMO, I will wear what I think I look good in and am comfortable in on my vacation and I don't expect you to care and I won't care what you wear. Just have fun right? Isn't that what vaca is about? And don't get me wrong-- we love to dress up and on formal night he wears a beautiful suit and I do gown but I think jeans are fashionable and can look much nicer in the right cut than most of the khakis etc that I see in the MDR so I don't think that a no jeans policy is fair IMO.

Nice jeans - okay.

Shorts - no way.

Honestly - it's waaayy too hard to draw the line of what's appropriate in shorts. And I can hardly bear to look at my own thighs, let alone force anyone else to do so and maintain an appetite! :D

Or jeans with holes and are ripped or jeans with just one hole, etc. etc. etc.

Peter

so does that mean I have to ask what about a tux with a hole in it? Or a formal gown that is ripped and just one hole? or with no holes but ripped....

What the heck kind of wardrobe do you have if you're asking if tattered clothing is okay??:confused: do you really need for us to tell you that you shouldn't wear any clothing in the MDR that is ripped or has holes or is unclean? ReallY?:rolleyes:

Well, okay then, to onionperson and peterubkdrids, PLEASE DON'T WEAR RIPPED, DIRTY OR 'HOLEY' CLOTHING IN THE MDR. Okay?

Now, for everyone else that knows better than that, continue discussing jeans and shorts!:p

so does that mean I have to ask what about a tux with a hole in it? Or a formal gown that is ripped and just one hole? or with no holes but ripped....

What the heck kind of wardrobe do you have if you're asking if tattered clothing is okay??:confused: do you really need for us to tell you that you shouldn't wear any clothing in the MDR that is ripped or has holes or is unclean? ReallY?:rolleyes:

Well, okay then, to onionperson and peterubkdrids, PLEASE DON'T WEAR RIPPED, DIRTY OR 'HOLEY' CLOTHING IN THE MDR. Okay?

Now, for everyone else that knows better than that, continue discussing jeans and shorts!:p

It is not Ohunion or ubdkjrb that have to worry about knowing what is proper attire. It is the rest of the cruisers who don't want to follow the dress code that need to be told about holey jeans and ripped shorts, since we don't wear them to the MDR. My point is: 10 years ago when people followed the dress code, holey / ripped clothing was not seen in the MDR. Now that the head waiters are saying it's O.K. you'll see more trashy dressed clientele.

I think jeans worn with a dressy top and heels are fine...shorts are not. But with that said, I honestly can't ever recall noticing what someone had on in the MDR. I really don't care. When I go out to eat I have never noticed what someone was wearing in the restaurant ( unless they had on some killer shoes) why would I start when I'm on vacation. My only worries are when is the guy that takes the drink orders and how many cool pictures can I take on my next excursion.

It is not Ohunion or ubdkjrb that have to worry about knowing what is proper attire. It is the rest of the cruisers who don't want to follow the dress code that need to be told about holey jeans and ripped shorts, since we don't wear them to the MDR.

sorry - but you are the only two asking if you can wear jeans or clothing that is ripped and torn, so it seems you are the ones to worry about...:rolleyes:

sorry - but you are the only two asking if you can wear jeans or clothing that is ripped and torn, so it seems you are the ones to worry about...:rolleyes:

It is an observation followed by a question. The main point is: "See, if this kind of rules infraction is allowed, where is the line drawn? "

OMG.... OMG I saw people wearing short in the MDR on 2 occasions and it didn't ruin my experience or cruise... I understand rules and know the rules but cruise lines understand that more and more people want a casual experience even in the MDR so as long as its about dollars and cents not a lot will be said...

Sometimes you read too fast. I was responding to the post right above mine that was essentially asking "where do you draw the line" once you say jeans and shorts are ok. I expanded on the jeans part by essentially asking once you say jeans are ok, what about not so nice jeans and who gets to decide what is not so nice? I couldn't agree more that a nice pair of designer jeans with heels and a nice shirt looks great on a woman and should be fine for casual nights. But what do you tell the teenager that has a pair of designer jeans with one rip in one knee. Well.....ok, pretty close. Then along comes another woman with one rip and one hole.... it never ends until you get the totally trashed jeans. Same with shorts. Once you start, you can never go back.

So, to beat the dead horse one more time, if everyone would simply dress to the suggested guidelines, no one has to decide anything.

Peter

Archived