Ncl took away my free upgrqade

kanitter

I was one of the "lucky:rolleyes:" ones that got my cruise changed in sept 2010 because of the sun going into drydock. The new date and itinery wasn't bad so we decided to stay with the new cruise. Imagine my surprise last week when I checked the website and found out that ncl had taken back my free upgrade to an ac cabin:eek:. When I called to find out why I was told it was because the cruise was different now so they would not honor the upgrade. I have been working with different people slowly working my way up the ladder trying to get them to reinstate my upgrade as I'm not the one that changed the cruise, they are. They said if I want to keep the ac cabin they will give me a $100 discount:eek:. I'm sorry, but this is a bunch of bull. I was originally given the free upgrade because of my cruise being changed from the jewel to the sun. It went from aug 2010 to sept 2010. Now it is going to Oct 2010. Right now I'm about ready to tell them just to shove it as this is a heck of a way to run a business. The bad thing is I've been checking all the other lines and there isn't any that have the same type of suites with the same benefits at a price that we can afford. At least none that go where we want to go. Has anyone else ever had a problem like this before and if so, how did you get it resolved? I would love any tips or help with this or should I just quit wasting my time and ask for my deposit back and forget about the cruise.:( I figure if anyone would know the best way to handle this it would be you guys.:D Thanks in advance,

Sue

I was one of the "lucky:rolleyes:" ones that got my cruise changed in sept 2010 because of the sun going into drydock. The new date and itinery wasn't bad so we decided to stay with the new cruise. Imagine my surprise last week when I checked the website and found out that ncl had taken back my free upgrade to an ac cabin:eek:. When I called to find out why I was told it was because the cruise was different now so they would not honor the upgrade. I have been working with different people slowly working my way up the ladder trying to get them to reinstate my upgrade as I'm not the one that changed the cruise, they are. They said if I want to keep the ac cabin they will give me a $100 discount:eek:. I'm sorry, but this is a bunch of bull. I was originally given the free upgrade because of my cruise being changed from the jewel to the sun. It went from aug 2010 to sept 2010. Now it is going to Oct 2010. Right now I'm about ready to tell them just to shove it as this is a heck of a way to run a business. The bad thing is I've been checking all the other lines and there isn't any that have the same type of suites with the same benefits at a price that we can afford. At least none that go where we want to go. Has anyone else ever had a problem like this before and if so, how did you get it resolved? I would love any tips or help with this or should I just quit wasting my time and ask for my deposit back and forget about the cruise.:( I figure if anyone would know the best way to handle this it would be you guys.:D Thanks in advance,

Sue

What I find interesting is the fact you are on an Oct 4th sailing, I was booked on an Oct 5th sailing and they cancelled my booking for Drydock, I cancelled the cruise, most likely go to Nassua for a week. Also something is messed up on their site because the have 2 different cruises listed for Oct 4, both transatlantic but different lengths

Sorry, it was a "free" upgrade, so in reality the cruisleine can do anything they want with it...just my opinion.[/quote

Certainly don't mean to be contentious but I'm not sure if "free upgrade"

is the same as a compensatory upgrade ? Is it possible ?

What I find interesting is the fact you are on an Oct 4th sailing, I was booked on an Oct 5th sailing and they cancelled my booking for Drydock, I cancelled the cruise, most likely go to Nassua for a week. Also something is messed up on their site because the have 2 different cruises listed for Oct 4, both transatlantic but different lengths

The two Oct 4th cruises are the same cruise, one is just longer than the other. So those booking the first listing will just get off the ship the first time it stops in P.C., FL, and the ones booking the same Oct 4th but the second listing will continue onto the Caribbean portion of the cruise. One is 12 days and one is 19. 8-)

We were upgraded from an ae. The reason for the upgrade was we was first offered an upgrade to an ad when the ship changed from the jewel to the sun. All the suites for the ad's are in the bow for the ad's. When I explained that the reason I booked a year and a half in advance was so I was sure that we would be able to get an aft suite. That was when I was given an upgrade to an ac cabin. MrsLeo, thank you I will try getting in touch with him, I figure the most he can do is say no. And to lvtotvl1, you are right, it was a "free" or "compensory" upgrade however you want to call it, but it still burns my butt to be treated this way and can you honestly say it would not bother you, that you would just say, oh well, it's their ship, they can do what they want.:rolleyes: Everyone have a good one,

Sue

Hi - we too were originally booked on the Baltics, then the transatlantic. First the Jewel to the Sun and Aug to Sept. Recd' OBC and moved from AE to AD only because the cruise was cheaper. They didn't upgrade us. Sounds like they upgraded you. Then then cancelled the Transatlantic portion so we have not moved to the Sun in April Miami to Dover with 27 days. No upgrade but OBC. Not the same room and this is our 3 or 4th change. My hubby thinks if we book 5 years in advance, by the time they finish cancelling and changing thing and giving OBC, we could have a free cruise LOL.

Keep me posted. Good Luck

I have to admit, I would be hacked! :mad: When we went on our first cruise, we had some big problems that my then TA didn't seem to want to attempt to work out on our behalf so I took things in my own hands. I'm very pro-active and usually can get things resolved. Try and keep your cool (not easy for me:eek:) while working it through if that is the route you want to go. I have to admit though that I also think a lot like Terry in this case and would seriously consider booking on another cruise line. NCL is not the only show in town and I certainly would make sure they knew that in my conversations with them. If I felt all my possibilities were exhausted and I didn't get satisfaction, I would take my money elsewhere. The sad thing though when you read all the cruise lines boards here on CC, you can always find someone that had a less than stellar experience when it comes to customer service.....sad because an experience like yours doesn't help in the long run for any company....in this case NCL. The economy is not in the best shape and it doesn't take a whole lot for people to change their allegiance.

I really hope it works out for you! :)

We were upgraded from an ae. The reason for the upgrade was we was first offered an upgrade to an ad when the ship changed from the jewel to the sun. All the suites for the ad's are in the bow for the ad's. When I explained that the reason I booked a year and a half in advance was so I was sure that we would be able to get an aft suite. That was when I was given an upgrade to an ac cabin. MrsLeo, thank you I will try getting in touch with him, I figure the most he can do is say no. And to lvtotvl1, you are right, it was a "free" or "compensory" upgrade however you want to call it, but it still burns my butt to be treated this way and can you honestly say it would not bother you, that you would just say, oh well, it's their ship, they can do what they want.:rolleyes: Everyone have a good one,

Sue

I'm not up on what categories are what, so can you please clarify for me... is this a suite to suite upgrade? What's the difference between the original 'aft suite' that you booked on the Jewel, the one you were upgraded to (and are trying to get back), and the one you are currently booked in? What I'm really asking is if you're still going to get the suite perks - and also if you're still in an 'aft suite'.

I absolutely agree that once you've been promised something, having it taken away is crappy. If I was happy with the first cabin I booked, however, as long as the one I was now booked in was comparable, I would probably just take the OBC and forget about it - not because I don't understand the principle involved, but because I have enough stress in my life!

Understand, I'm usually in inside cabins, so as a rule, I don't care about square footage. I do care about getting what I took the time to book in advance to get, however. If I still had everything I wanted in the first place, I would choose to not have added stress in my life caused by calling, emailing, arguing, explaining, re-explaining, being frustrated... I would absolutely choose losing that stress + an OBC over a few extra feet any day. :)

I have had success dealing with issues along this line by emailing Crane Gladdings office. If you google his name you'll likely find his email address. I can tell you ncl's basic email structure is first initial, last name @ncl.com. Like jdoe@ncl.com

I don't want to hijack this thread, but, I just wanted to say hi. I haven't seen you around much since our Spirit Repo. How's Mr Leo?

CanadianTwosome, I'm not sure of the exact sq ft measurements of the two cabins but the ae on the sun is only considered a jr suite so there are no extra benefits to the room. The ac has the butler and concierge services, it has the seperate bedroom, whirlpool tub, seperate shower, two sliding doors to the balcony, the balcony is really long as it is a corner balcony. It also was supposed to be a special cruise for us. It will be our 30th anniversary, we have a cabin booked for our dd, and one for my df. 3 other couples (relatives) said they also want to go but are waiting to see what happens with our situation. I think that is part of the reason we were given the upgrade to start with. And like I said earlier, for the money, no other cruise line offers the same cabins with the same services that go where we are interested in going. That's another reason why this is so fraustrating.:( My dh and I had talked about renewing our vows onboard, but I'm not sure what we are doing now. So if anyone has any good ideas I am open to suggestions:D.

Sue

I wouldn't be happy to be told I had got one thing and then told I had not. They really have dropped the ball here and need to start talking to you and working with you to find a resolution.

Otherwise, cancel ALL of the cabins booked and find a different cruise.

CanadianTwosome, I'm not sure of the exact sq ft measurements of the two cabins but the ae on the sun is only considered a jr suite so there are no extra benefits to the room. The ac has the butler and concierge services, it has the seperate bedroom, whirlpool tub, seperate shower, two sliding doors to the balcony, the balcony is really long as it is a corner balcony. It also was supposed to be a special cruise for us. It will be our 30th anniversary, we have a cabin booked for our dd, and one for my df. 3 other couples (relatives) said they also want to go but are waiting to see what happens with our situation. I think that is part of the reason we were given the upgrade to start with. And like I said earlier, for the money, no other cruise line offers the same cabins with the same services that go where we are interested in going. That's another reason why this is so fraustrating.:( My dh and I had talked about renewing our vows onboard, but I'm not sure what we are doing now. So if anyone has any good ideas I am open to suggestions:D.

Sue

Sue I don't know why I didn't realize when reading this thread before, but the AC suite on the Sun is a FAB suite and worth fighting for. Keep on with your calls and letters and emails, etc. We have been in an AC on the Sun, 0065, and it is probably the best suite we have been in. Keep fighting.. and keep us posted. 8-)

They changed the terms of your contract and should refund your money plus a discount voucher toward next cruise purchase. Because you cannot afford similar on another line has nothing to do with anything. Get your money back and spend it how you deem fit, but put an end to all of this.

Originally, I thought the whole cruise switching was annoying, now its the fact that "no" can't be taken for an answer and people keep going and going until they get a "yes".

I don't want to hijack this thread, but, I just wanted to say hi. I haven't seen you around much since our Spirit Repo. How's Mr Leo?

Hi there, doing well. I read quite a few of your threads. Hope all is well with you both. We're gearing up for a repo on the Jewel next month with a great group of folks, there's over 200 peeps on the roll call. Have a cruise with me & the kids out of NOLA on Triumph in June while d/h attends a conference there, and a great exciting group cruise to Hawaii on Sapphire Princess Feb. 26, 2011 (wanna come?). Pop by any of the roll calls for these cruises, I am easy to find lol.

Holler back and let me know how you're doing!

This is not in my opinion a "free" upgrade. It was compensation for your trouble that THEY caused. They have NO right to now recind that compensation.

Absolutely keep on fighting. It is a crying shame that you have to "fight" for anything on these lines and customer service should have a much higher place, but this is the reality.

I hate it when the lines try to pull this c--p.

I would suggest that when you call or write them you not use the words "FREE UPGRADE" keep using the words "compensational upgrade" or something like that... since this was compensation for your trouble of moving you vacation and such.

It is my opinion that you should get to keep the upgrade from the first change and get additional something for this second change.

They changed the terms of your contract and should refund your money plus a discount voucher toward next cruise purchase. Because you cannot afford similar on another line has nothing to do with anything. Get your money back and spend it how you deem fit, but put an end to all of this.

Originally, I thought the whole cruise switching was annoying, now its the fact that "no" can't be taken for an answer and people keep going and going until they get a "yes".

So are you saying that I should just shut up, take back whatever I paid in and not annoy anyone. I've been told no and I should just accept it?:rolleyes:

So are you saying that I should just shut up, take back whatever I paid in and not annoy anyone. I've been told no and I should just accept it?:rolleyes:

I'm sure if it was really all that bothersome, a person would exercise a little self restraint and not read the annoying posts, instead of reading them, then taking the time to make a provocative comment which in turn spawns even more of the comments they claim to be annoyed by...such a vicious cycle:eek:.

So back to the actual situation... It sometimes take a couple of days for them to respond to your email. Have you heard anything yet?

Archived