Sterilize baby bottles on ship ?

pearl12970

The thing I couldn't get used to was giving the grandkids baby food right out of the jar without warming it. YUK.

Well, except for the fruit thingies, my daughter warmed the food....and she made all of the baby food.... They are vegetarians and only use organic products... The kid was raised vegetarian.

Then, about 15 or so, he decided to try a few chicken wings...his other grandma is a terrific cook and he ate there frequently. That was the end of his vegetarian experience.... His Mom, while disappointed, believes that he can make his own choices.

He sure eats well though, has good common sense about diet...lots of fresh fruits and veggies....loves to eat the vegetarian foods and such...but, he also loves a nice thick steak, medium rare...and can put away almost a pound of bacon by himself sometimes. HA!

Thank you Alexis for the link. :)

Now I know where to post more questions w/out being made to feel like an idiot.:rolleyes:

For everyone who is mocking me about sterilizing the bottles - I don't sterlize at home. However ,I wasnt sure about the quality or source of tap water on the ship ( being my FIRST TIME Cruise ) so I thought I should sterilize the bottles ( boiling water would take care of whatever is questionable in the water). Rather be safe than sorry.

Anyways- atleast now I know from this post that the tap water on the cruise ships is very safe to drink.

Also - thanks for the tip on introducing sippy cups on the holiday. It sounds like a good idea.

I sent her over there because that is the family board and she will be more welcome there with her questions.

I would hate to see a new Cruise Critic member never come back here because of some of the answers given her.

We are not here on CC to judge her reason for asking the question. We should just try to answer her questions for

her and leave it at that.

Thank you JAMS1.

You will find most folks helpful and kind

This how I would do it – in the buffet area there is a hot water dispenser for tea, use that to get your hot water. Place the nipple into a cup to rinse the nipple then rinse out the bottle too.

Also, if there is a Coffee bar on your ship they could steam the bottle & nipple for you.

There may be a handy dandy small appliance you could bring.

Good luck and have a great cruise!

Thank you for understanding jpkrp.

This is my first born and also my first cruise :-) I had no idea what is the source of the tap water. So I thought sterilizing would be the best bet.

Not that I sterilize at home anymore...

Give her a break it's her 1st. It is usually the second that you stop that.

Thank you JAMS1.

You are welcome, First child and first cruise, that's a lot and very exciting.

We waited until our daughters were out of the house to go on our first cruise and now wish we had not waited so long.

When the grandchildren come along, we will introduce them to cruising ASAP.

Have a Great Time!

Now I know where to post more questions w/out being made to feel like an idiot.:rolleyes:

For everyone who is mocking me about sterilizing the bottles - I don't sterlize at home. However ,I wasnt sure about the quality or source of tap water on the ship ( being my FIRST TIME Cruise ) so I thought I should sterilize the bottles ( boiling water would take care of whatever is questionable in the water). Rather be safe than sorry.

Anyways- atleast now I know from this post that the tap water on the cruise ships is very safe to drink.

Also - thanks for the tip on introducing sippy cups on the holiday. It sounds like a good idea.

You are very welcome. Any questions you have on here concerning questions traveling with children ask it on the family board.

It is safer over there. :D

The water on the ships is very pure and you will have no problem at all however you decide to clean the bottle or cup.

Any questions about the Liberty and your upcoming cruise, such as how she is, what to expect as far as who has sailed her before, cabins, food, ports and things like that, come over to the Royal Caribbean part of the boards and ask away.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83

If you look at my signature, that is where I hang out. :D

Don't be afraid of the answers you get on here. One can not really tell from reading, how a person's tone really is. :)

Stay around and you will learn a lot.

Again welcome to CC. :D

EDIT:

I should add. I am the mother of 4 very grown up adult children and 7 grandchildren. I have been there and done that too.

Edited by Alexis

The tap water on cruise ships is very safe howeer some people, children included, have an adjustment problem anytime they change water sources. If the water tastes funny to your child you may need to disguise the taste a bit.

Some children are very picky about what they drink, very!

I thought sterilizing bottles ent out 30 years ago? I used to teach prenatal classes (as an OB nurse) and would tell parents that if you are on city water, you don't need to sterilize, the water in the dishwasher was hot enough. Only if you had well water was it recommended, but only if you took some of your water to your county extension people and it tested as 'iffy'. The water on the ship is sea water desalinated by reverse osmosis, and is purer than the bottled water people insist on drinking. Chill out, you are on vacation. The hot water from your cabin faucet should more than do. EM
I thought it was only necessary if your child was a preemie or had other medical issues.

I've never sterilized a bottle in my life. Of course, I myself never gave my children a bottle either. All the bottles they had came from grandma, and I'm pretty sure she wouldn't have bothered.

not sure about sterilizing on the ship...but just curious, are you sterilizing his hands and all toys too? i doubt it.

a sippy cup would work just fine....and honestly, like others have stated, no need to sterilize a bottle if he's still on the bottle. plus, nipples should never be microwaved-it deteriorates them.

ok, i won't rant...mother of 3 and (former)daycare owner here...

You will find most folks helpful and kind

This how I would do it – in the buffet area there is a hot water dispenser for tea, use that to get your hot water. Place the nipple into a cup to rinse the nipple then rinse out the bottle too.

Also, if there is a Coffee bar on your ship they could steam the bottle & nipple for you.

There may be a handy dandy small appliance you could bring.

Good luck and have a great cruise!

I was going to stay out of this, I really was, because I think it's up to individual parents (and their pediatricians) to decide. But this is just too much, IMO. Sorry, but I think it is not a good suggestion at all. Parents who want/need to sterilize bottles onboard need to bring a bottle sterilizer or talk to the special needs department if their child has immunity issues that require it.

I cannot imagine the coffee bar staff being asked to sterilize nipples and bottles using the coffee-making equipment. Aside from how much time it would take when a bunch of parents come in every day to ask for it, I do not see how it can be at all sanitary for the rest of us to have babies' bottles being handled by the staff, around the equipment, and near drink/food items. I seriously doubt the CDC would even allow it. Plus, it is not the job of the coffee bar staff to clean bottles for parents. Bottom line is that coffee steaming equipment is not designed to function as a sterilizer.

beachchick

I was going to stay out of this, I really was, because I think it's up to individual parents (and their pediatricians) to decide. But this is just too much, IMO. Sorry, but I think it is not a good suggestion at all. Parents who want/need to sterilize bottles onboard need to bring a bottle sterilizer or talk to the special needs department if their child has immunity issues that require it.

I cannot imagine the coffee bar staff being asked to sterilize nipples and bottles using the coffee-making equipment. Aside from how much time it would take when a bunch of parents come in every day to ask for it, I do not see how it can be at all sanitary for the rest of us to have babies' bottles being handled by the staff, around the equipment, and near drink/food items. I seriously doubt the CDC would even allow it. Plus, it is not the job of the coffee bar staff to clean bottles for parents. Bottom line is that coffee steaming equipment is not designed to function as a sterilizer.

beachchick

beachchick...thank you. I was thinking the same thing about taking bottles to the coffee bar...........but the real issue here is that the OP did not know that water on a ship was safe to drink..and now she does know.....so problem sloved.

to the OP....have a great trip.

beachchick...thank you. I was thinking the same thing about taking bottles to the coffee bar...........but the real issue here is that the OP did not know that water on a ship was safe to drink..and now she does know.....so problem sloved.

to the OP....have a great trip.

Originally Posted by pearl12970 viewpost.gif

It never ceases to amaze me how things can go awry because of a poorly worded question. IE - "Do I need to sterilze bottles on a ship?" OR "Is the ship's water safe to drink?"

I don't think people on this board are any less friendly than on the family board - I think the people who responded were genuinely surprised that someone was sterilizing bottles in this day & age. I am certain it was no one's intention to make you feel like an idiot.

A friend who owns a coffee bar, quite often steams out something for a customer to clean it. Coffee cups, Travel Mugs, Sippy cups, bottles and all, so how is taking 3 to 5 seconds to steam off a nipple and bottle such an imposition for a crew member. Pearl might even give a nice tip for it.

When I posted to this thread, I was surprised as to how nasty most of the reply’s were to Pearl’s question ripping her parenting style apart, I wanted to post a positive solution to her question, and made the mistake thinking that a few positive posts would change the tone of the thread.

I am done with this thread since so may of you seem to need to be mean and not have positive solutions to the OP’s question.

Have a nice day.

beachchick

I did have the suggestion to bring a "Handy Dandy" appliance to do so.

But I guess you did not read that far

A friend who owns a coffee bar, quite often steams out something for a customer to clean it. Coffee cups, Travel Mugs, Sippy cups, bottles and all, so how is taking 3 to 5 seconds to steam off a nipple and bottle such an imposition for a crew member. Pearl might even give a nice tip for it.

When I posted to this thread, I was surprised as to how nasty most of the reply’s were to Pearl’s question ripping her parenting style apart, I wanted to post a positive solution to her question, and made the mistake thinking that a few positive posts would change the tone of the thread.

I am done with this thread since so may of you seem to need to be mean and not have positive solutions to the OP’s question.

Have a nice day.

Would 3 to 5 seconds really be long enough to kill bacteria? We are under a boil water advisory in the Atlanta, GA area and we are told to have the watrer at a full boil for 10 minutes.

I cannot imagine the coffee bar staff being asked to sterilize nipples and bottles using the coffee-making equipment.... I do not see how it can be at all sanitary for the rest of us...

Oh my goodness, I completely agree with you! The thought of it was making me cringe. Eww.

~

And for the record, JAMS1, I don't think anyone here was "mean". Most of us were surprised, yes, but no one was actually mean. Anyway, it all turned out to be a sort of misunderstanding about what the OP was actually asking. The thread would not have garnered these responses had she worded her concerns differently.

the main thing is...

the OP knows the water is safe to wash her baby's bottles in...and it's safe to drink.

on airplanes, the water in a lav IS NOT safe to drink. so now i see where she could be getting the question from.....so yes, i think many of us misunderstood her or didn't "get it"

I did have the suggestion to bring a "Handy Dandy" appliance to do so.

But I guess you did not read that far

Yes, I did. I wasn't responding to that suggestion, except to basically say that I agree. I was responding to a suggestion that I believe to be a bad idea and unsanitary. I specifically bolded what I was responding to directly, sorry if it offends you that I didn't acknowledge your other suggestion specifically.

Frankly, I'm offended that your friend would use commercial coffee steaming equipment that way in her business. I have trouble believing that it's allowed by the health department. How is it possible to keep the equipment clean if they're holding a dirty cup, sippy, or bottle and using the milk steamer? Coffee machine steamers are not designed to be used as cleaning machines. To me, this seems a pretty straight-forward thing. And I still say that if 50 parents march in with 4 bottles every day, then it would be an imposition to the crew members. It is not the job of the cafe staff to steam out baby bottles; they should not be expected to do it, tip or no tip; other passengers should not have to wait for coffee in the coffee bar because anyone (parent or otherwise) wants the staff to use the milk steamer to "clean" a personal item for them.

Would 3 to 5 seconds really be long enough to kill bacteria? We are under a boil water advisory in the Atlanta, GA area and we are told to have the watrer at a full boil for 10 minutes.

I thought about that too. It takes more than a few seconds to sterilize with steam.

beachchick

The 10 minute boil advisory is for tainted flood water, not "regular" tap water. My understanding is that water on the ship is cleaner than that sold as bottled drinking water.

(Hoping and praying you folks in Atlanta get through this soon - My daughter lives there, so of course I have been watching the flood situation closely).