Transfer from San Jose to Ship in Caldera, Costa Rica

xyz111

What are the options for getting from San Jose, Costa Rica, to the Legend in Puerto Caldera? Which is the best option?

We are on the December 7 cruise and will arrive in Costa Rica a couple of days before the ship's departure.

Thanks for the advice.

What are the options for getting from San Jose, Costa Rica, to the Legend in Puerto Caldera? Which is the best option?

We are on the December 7 cruise and will arrive in Costa Rica a couple of days before the ship's departure.

Thanks for the advice.

I am using this Co.in November. Mr.Bob Bennet

Toll free 1-877-413-9743

www.Costa ricaexecutive transportation.com

Cost $130

$170.20 better car and drinks

Edited by chino

WE used the Seabourn provided transportation--it was excellent--small confortable bus leaving from the Mariott--excellent guide--2 hour trip with one quick stop to refresh! Can't remember the price--I guess it was included in our precruise hotel price. Don

We'll be on the December 7 Legend cruise, and like you, we'll arrive a couple days early. Our TA has arranged a private car transfer to the ship, with a guided tour of the Poas Volcano, and tour of the Doka Coffee Plantation with lunch, on the way. We'll leave about 7:30, and get to the ship before 3. Total cost is $274 for the two of us. Just the tansfer would be $130.

We're also looking into private tours at Quepos- about half the cost of Seabourn if split among 4 people.

Bob

We used Danny for transfers in San Jose. There were 5 of us plus our luggage. He charged $100 for the van transfer from our hotel to the ship. He speaks English and is a marvelous tour guide as well.

If anyone would like his information I'll be happy to post it.

Martita B.

He charged $100 for the van transfer from our hotel to the ship. He speaks English and is a marvelous tour guide as well.

We are on the 12/7 Legend cruise, arriving the 4th, and staying at the Marriott as well. We booked Danny for a transfer on the 7th, departing around 11. If Danny can get a larger vehicle and carry more, than I am more than happy to share the ride.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi SCM. We are 2 going on the cruise as well and are happy to share Danny with you if he can get a larger vehicle. Could you email us back and let us know one way or the other. We are looking forward to being on the cruise. We have just booked with Cave-Tubing.com a cave tubing and ATV (all terain vehicle) combo for US$ 75 per person which is better and cheaper than the one the Legend offer. Regards Margit

I am using this Co.in November. Mr.Bob Bennet

Toll free 1-877-413-9743

www.Costa ricaexecutive transportation.com

Cost $130

$170.20 better car and drinks

Do you have any references on this company? I contacted them after seeing your post, and they definitely responded promptly, but it occurred to me that you are also using them for the first time and just wondered if you had heard anything about their reliability, since they want a credit card in advance. Anyway, we'll look for you all in Puerto Caldera...

Margit and Elliot -- Let me ask him. I don't think it would be a problem. Probably back to you tomorrow.

Got a reply from Danny IRT carrying six from San Jose to Puerto Caldera on the 7th. No problem -- $160 for the lot. I sent each of you a friend request so we can work out the details off line.

He comes well recommended.

Hi again SCM

Are we still going to do the transfer with Danny? I have not heard back from you. I am still interested.

Are you staying at the Marriott?

You can email me at sjere @ charter.net

yep -- 11 AM departure from the Marriott -- $160 for 6 people. Margit, you still want to go with us on the 7th?

• 4 weeks later...

Hello there

we are going on the cruise with Legend from CR on the 18 of January, thinking about stayiing at the Marriot in San Jose. How can i get in contact with those - the ones that are recomended in here?

Also

is there a Roll call for the cruise from CR to Fort Lauderdal?

thanks

Ronny

Just got off the Legend in Caldera and transferred to San Jose on Monday. Wanted to give a caution on transfers. I'm aware that people have used Danny with success in the past. However, we had a bad experience and want to ensure that you double check and triple check with him.

We booked Danny Jimenez three months ago for a transfer to San Jose on advice from this board. Because our flight did not leave until 6 pm, we asked to have a private car with driver who would give us a day tour and drop us at the airport by 3 pm.

Danny immediately emailed us back and said it was not problem. He quoted a price and agreed in writing to a private car and tour for the day.

While on the ship we learned that 4 other couples had also booked with Danny. However, we reconfirmed with him that we had a private car and driver and also a tour. Danny quoted us $120 for the two of us including the tour.

While there were a few issues with the port itself allowing the drivers in, it turned out not to be a problem for private drivers.

However, we had arranged to have Danny's driver pick us up at 8:30 am. On our departure from the ship, a driver from Danny did come to pick up one couple. They left.

No one else came. We called Danny. He said "10 minutes, driver is running late." 30 minutes later, we called again - he said "10 minutes more." At 9:30 am the driver still had not arrived. We began talking with local tax drivers about a transfer to ensure that we got to the airport.

We called Danny again and got no answer. About 10 minutes later, a van pulled up with a driver from Danny. He said he was sent to pick up all the people and take them to the Marriott. We told him we had arranged a private transfer and were not going to the Marriott. He said "I don't know about that," and put 4 people in the minivan and said if we wanted a ride he'd take us." But it would cost us $120 despite the fact that it was not a private van, nor was he taking us on a tour."

We would have been packed into that van with 4 other people and all the luggage. We declined and took the local cab driver, who tood us on a lovely tour, dropped us promptly at the airport, and charged us $100. He spoke excellent English and did a great job.

So, just a suggestion to check and recheck your arrangements with Danny.

We were the couple picked up from the dockside referred to by Harbormaster. We had made the arrangements with Danillo Jiminez a couple of months ago as he had been recommended on this site. We booked to be picked up from Caldera and be taken to the Arenal area near the Volcano, we were then to be picked up three days later and taken to the airport. Unfortunately we had several emails whilst onboard re the difficulties getting a driver on the quay and were obviously concerned. A driver did turn up on the morning with our named displayed on his board, but he said he didn't know anything about a tour and was just taking us to the hotel. Unfortunately his English was not very good. We felt we had no alternative, so got into the minibus. After a short while, he did convey to us that he could take us the long way round, adding an hour to the three and a half hours journey, but as the roads were not good (winding, busy and hair-raising) we said we would go straight to the hotel. We did stop for coffee and bathroom break. He did make an attempt to make some conversation (between his many mobile phone calls), but it wasn't very informative. We gather his boss was a friend of Danny's and he had been sub-contracted for our job. We arrived at our destination in one piece. We were told that he would be picking us up for our return to San Jose airport, which he did - he arrived on time and loaded us into the van. After a while it became evident he was very tired and realising that he had been on the road without a break for five hours, we stopped at the same place for coffee. After that he said he felt better and we continued on our way and arrived in plenty of time at the airport.

In summary, we did get the transfers at a reasonable cost, but it wasn't quite the experience we had been expecting.

Hi Kimbasmum: Great to hear you both made it to the hotel and to the airport in one piece. Hope your trip home went as smoothly and uneventfully.

We enjoyed meeting you and the cruise. Had fun with the trivia with you, even if we were pretty dreadful - but we certainly were inventive.

Take care and perhaps we'll meet on another cruise.

Hi Kathy

We have been jet-lagged for the last couple of days, but feel more 'normal' today. It was good to meet you both and we had our moments in Trivia, but not enough good ones! Never mind, we will probably use the key rings more than a rosewood box! Hope all went well in LA and that your next cruise is wonderful, look forward to hearing about it.

As we are now Seabourn fans and have put down our deposit, we may meet again one of these days. In the meantime we have fond memories of the cruise despite some bad weather and rough seas. Everything else made up for it. Until next time.