Wine in checked luggage?

boom_boom

I know from other posts that they may take your wine other than 2 bottles when you first embark, does that include wine you have stashed in your checked luggage? Or just the carry-on stuff?

Officially you are only allowed two bottles per room. If you want to break the rules, just put whatever you want to bring in your checked bagged and carry on your allocation of two bottles. They won't take anything additional. You just need to bring everything on in the first port - after that its a little tougher to get things onboard.

I know from other posts that they may take your wine other than 2 bottles when you first embark, does that include wine you have stashed in your checked luggage? Or just the carry-on stuff?

And when the bottles in your checked luggage break and ruin your clothes, remember that someone on Cruise Critic suggested you might be penny wise and pound foolish.;)

• 2 weeks later...

On Oceania last November we could take what ever we wanted onboard.

I never heard anything about a limit of two bottles.

We didn't take much onboard as we were two women friends travelling together and we liked to have drinks in the bar before dinner and listen to the music but we did like that Lemoncello in Italy...

It was nice to be treated like adults and be able to take a bottle or two aboard.

I met friends at the bar before dinner that knew friends of mine from my home town. I told one couple I had a friend who had sang in Carnegie Hall and she knew her.... She had lived in my home town. It is a small world.

Yes, on Oceania, we had no problem bringing a case of wine on board to start and picking up more in ports. On HAL we also brought a case on board with no problem, but in the Alaska ports wine was too expensive to bring back to the ship. I'd like to try Azamara, but quality wine at reasonable prices is an important part of the cruise/travel experience. I'm just not sure Azamara fits the bill with their limits. I'm always willing, and in fact expect, to pay a corkage fee if I want to drink my wine in a restaurant or lounge. But, as in a a high end hotel, if I want to bring my own to drink in the privacy of my roon, I fail to see why the cruise line would stop....other than sheer greed of course.

You can buy styrafoam wine bottle holders, so you won't have a problem with breakage. You can also wrap them in bubble wrap. Assuming there are two to your cabin, you could put two in your bag, two in you partners bag and carry two on. I am not saying to break the ships poliicy, but a $25.00 corkage charge is criminal on their part. So is their on board wine prices.

You can buy styrafoam wine bottle holders, so you won't have a problem with breakage. You can also wrap them in bubble wrap. Assuming there are two to your cabin, you could put two in your bag, two in you partners bag and carry two on. I am not saying to break the ships poliicy, but a $25.00 corkage charge is criminal on their part. So is their on board wine prices.

Of course you're saying to violate the ship's policy.

Azamara is running a business, not a charity. Their cruise fares have been incredibly reasonable. If they don't make money, they will cease to exist. If their corkage charge and wine prices are too high for you, vote with your feet. I'm sure there are other lines that you would prefer.

IMHO the wine prices are very high. We are not drinkers of extremely high end wine at home so why should I play 40$ plus to have a moderate grade of wine onboard. Hotels are in the business of making money as well and they wouldn't dare tell you not to consume whatever amt. of wine in your room!! I certainly plan to take wine carefully wrapped in my luggage along with my 2 allowed bottles. ( Feel like we are being treated like errant children). We will buy the odd drink at the bars but if the prices were more reasonable and they certainly are NOT then I think their revenuse would be much healthier. People generally resent being gouged. A reasonable profit is one thing but the prices for wine on Azamara are rediculous. Anyway hope they don't take the wine out of our luggage. If they do that's life. Anyone have experience with wine being taken from checked luggage. Spanish wine is so delightful and we intend to shop in Barcelona for some good buys. Any suggestiosn where?

hi there is a Carrfoure supermarket half way up las ramblas,also an indoor market just of las ramblas.the super market should offer a good selection of wines to suit all budgets,you will get top end spanish wine in the covered market :):):) ps some good tapas bars in the market as well

atlantic cruiser, sorry can't answer your specific question but just for information on boarding Az in Barcelona they had a table set up just before boarding ship staffed by two asking about alcohol in hand luggage. They had a list where they noted our cabin number, label on wine. I was flabbergasted to see this and wondered if they would search our cabin also. We didn't try to take any on from ports. Some got through but we did see some being taped up and taken away but don't know the details. A questionnaire is left in cabins after a number of days. We complained about the price of wines on this and would encourage others to do likewise if they think prices are steep. A few days later some "specials" appeared in main dining room (notice by md desk). Coincidence or not, I don't know. I thought there were less people having wine with dinner than on previous cruises.

Archived