What are the seas like on the Bahamas 4-night cruise

timothy998

We're contemplating a family cruise next summer from Miami to the Bahamas...4 nights...Key West, Naussau, and Cococay. That said, my SIL has motion-sickness issues...I know there are medicines but this cruise looks good as we'd be sleeping during most of the sea time, but during the evenings and at night, what are the seas like? We had 7-12 meter seas on our Eastern Caribbean cruise last March, and don't think it would be pretty for her if that were the case next July...although I know that all bets are off if there's a hurricane.

Also, they have a little one who'll be about a year old at that time...would they be able to enjoy a cruise with their littlest one? I know their oldest & our kids will have fun...as will we adults...but just checking on various perceptions from folks who've already been on the cruise. Thanks!

I've done that itinerary a couple of times and the seas were very calm especially since the ship is sailing at such a very slow speed. Of course no one can predict the weather conditions during your sailing. The odds for calm seas are likely in your favor.

we did a 3 night then a 4 night back to back out of port canaveral in sept a couple yrs ago- going out on the 3 night it was really rough.............dh and i both felt seasick- coming back then going back out and coming back in .........smooth and no problems.................just goes to show you cant tell how it will be til you get going- if she takes bonine or wears a patch she should be fine- we learned that the hard way...:)

We've done that route...1st cruise...and it was pretty rough....the weather wasn't bad, although it was cloudy most of the time, but heading from the Bahamas back to Key West was choppy enough to make walking up and down the stair a real feat! We found drinking and being tipsy enough not to know whether it was the seas or our alcohol intake helped!!!!

How severe is your SIL's motion sickness? Has she ever cruised before and if so what did she use then? We had some rough seas on our way out of port canaveral but we had been using bonine (started taking it at night the day we arrived in FLA) and had no issues. I also used the pressure point wrist bands (soooo stylish! :)) and did not have any issues. Weather and seas can change quickly. IMHO as long as you start ahead of it (like the night before you board) and keep on top of it, you should be fine. Don't wait til you feel sick to take something--it's too late then.

We did that exact itinerary with a 1 year old. He had such a good time and the crew were so helpful! I'm guessing you're talking about the Majesty. I've been on her twice and have never had a motion sickness issue. your SIL should speak with her doctor before she leaves. They can give her something for motion sickness.

Make sure we are on board! We love rough, rocky, "bad" seas..... when we are on board the seas are calm, flat, flatter. Told one of the Captain's I almost called at 3 AM to ask if we had left the dock :p

We booked several "summer" cruises... hoping for rough seas... missed all... :rolleyes: but have been told by crew members that the cruise just before or just after was "choppy".... :confused: soooo on the more "serious" side... read the posts above.... You will be in hurricane season, the 4 night is more "subject" to seas than the 3 night due to the course taken and... it is up to "Mother" nature.... :eek:

Thanks all..yep, we're not the ones in charge of the weather...and even noted that it would be in hurricane season (that's what trip insurance is for!) I don't recall if SIL has cruised before but our DS used bomine on our rough cruise and was fine after the first night. Now we know to get ahead of it.

SIL will need to speak with her Dr. as she's currently nursing the baby, and not sure if the bomine goes into the milk, but not sure how long she'll be able to do so, knowing that kids have minds of their own! So lots of things to consider before we are all systems go...not to mention broaching the idea to literally all my inlaws when we're together in a couple of weeks! In any event, thank you so much for all the comments & advice.

Archived