Cost advertise kids free but charge more for adults having kids

Middleager

I'm looking at rates for Costa Fortuna, thinking to bring my kids under 18 to the trip.

For an E2 cabin for 2 adults with no kids, the rate for each adult is $529 + tax/fees $82.55. But if searching for 2 adults and 1 kid (under 17), the rate becomes $649+tax/fee.

For an inside cabin I2, the rate is $419/adult with no kid. But it jumps to $549/adult with 1 kid. In either case we understand we have to pay additional $82.55 tax/fee for each kid, but there shouldn't be any change in the per adult rate.

So Costa is not honest about "kids free". If kids are free (other than tax/fee), then the per adult rate should be the same whether you have kids or not.

I'm looking at rates for Costa Fortuna, thinking to bring my kids under 18 to the trip.

For an E2 cabin for 2 adults with no kids, the rate for each adult is $529 + tax/fees $82.55. But if searching for 2 adults and 1 kid (under 17), the rate becomes $649+tax/fee.

For an inside cabin I2, the rate is $419/adult with no kid. But it jumps to $549/adult with 1 kid. In either case we understand we have to pay additional $82.55 tax/fee for each kid, but there shouldn't be any change in the per adult rate.

So Costa is not honest about "kids free". If kids are free (other than tax/fee), then the per adult rate should be the same whether you have kids or not.

is it for the same room #???its happens on any line if you put 2 or 3 pas you will get different rate.I had this problem on Princess:cool: .but think about it 130$ for kid its a very good rate any way:)

It shows different rooms, for rooms with 2 adults only, and rooms for 2 adults plus 1 kid, but the rooms are for the same category (both I2, or both E2, etc.).

I also checked Carnival. The per adult rate is the same whether you have additional passengers after the first two. Carnival also gives different rooms in the same category, depending on whether there is additional passenger(s) or not, but the rate for the first two passengers stay the same.

The important thing is it's the same category.

It is not honest when the rate for the first 2 passengers, goes up for the same category, when you add a kid.

Also, the difference in rate needs to be multiplied by 2 (i.e. $120*2 for I2 or $130*2 for E2).

It could be that when you book more then 2 people it needs a room with 4 berths as opposed to two . put a price in for 3 adults and then compare to 2 adults and one child.I just booked our march break cruise because the rates are fantastic

It could be that when you book more then 2 people it needs a room with 4 berths as opposed to two . put a price in for 3 adults and then compare to 2 adults and one child.I just booked our march break cruise because the rates are fantastic

Good point. Just tried that. For category E2, put in 3 adults, the rate stays at $529/ea for the first 2 adults, then additional charge ($349) for the 3rd adult.

So if Costa advertises kids free, the rate should not jump from $529 to $649, for the first 2 passengers, and 0 for the additional child. That is just false advertising.

You wil find often that the online booking / quoting systems are great for "normal" bookings, but when it comes to special offers the systems aren't programmed for it.

Give Costa a ring and get it from the horse's mouth and not the back end.:)

Ron

Costa's kids sail free has been ongoing, not some one-time special.

Anyway, I did talk to Costa. The lady just said that's what the system shows, and said it's probably because the kids sail free is capacity controlled. She doesn't have other explanations.

So the kids sail free, is a capacity controlled promotion, whereby it has one rate ($529+tax for each of the first 2 passengers) with no kid, and a higher rate ($649+tax) if you want the kids free program.

Yes there is extra charge for taxes and fees, of $82.85 that has to be paid for each additional kid. That was known and expected.

What was not expected is the per person rate (i.e. before the taxes/fees) would go up, if you get the kids free.

So if no kid, it was for 2 persons in category E2 of

$529*2+82.85*2

but if with a 3rd kid, the rate becomes

$649*2 + 0 for kid + 82.85*3

The rate goes up by $120*2 = $240, to get the "kids free".

For category I2, for just 2 persons it would be

$419*2+82.85*2

but if with a 3rd kid, the rate becomes

$549*2 + 0 for kid + 82.85*3

The rate goes up by $130*2 = $260, to get the "kids free".

I agree with burners.....Seems very confusing the wasy it sounds...But, in the END...the price is still pretty darned good right!? I Also saw a good price on the MSC Cruise site and I think they have an extra stop as well...maybe you can check them out??

Dont get too wrapped up in the wording of the advertising. It is still a great price .Book it before it goes up

I agree with burners.....Seems very confusing the wasy it sounds...But, in the END...the price is still pretty darned good right!?

Just because Costa has low price, doesn't mean false advertising (and sneaking in the higher price) is fine.

The issue is about the false advertising of "children free", not about whether the rates are high or low.

I teach my kids to be truthful. If they do something wrong, I won't try to sugercoat it and try to say it's nothing wrong.

I looked at this on "Best Price Cruises" Web site. For cabin 1425 2 people the price was 369.00 per person. For the SAME cabin 1425 1st and 2nd person were 455.13 each 3rd and 4th 4.75.

I'd say there is no truth in Costa's advertizing for children sailing free. (I did put in ages of 2yo & 4yo

• 3 weeks later...

I just tried pricing my cruise for two adults and got the same price. Kids are 4 and 1.

03/13/2009

Costa Atlantica

2 Pass in B3 cat as follows however B1 is still the same.

799.00 - 63.95 = 862.95

799.00 - 63.95 = 862.95

= 1725.90

I tried booking 4 guests but their was no availability for 4. However my receipt is written as follows

799.00 - 63.95 = 862.95

799.00 - 63.95 = 862.95

0.00 - 63.95 = 63.95

0.00 - 63.95 = 63.95

= 1853.80

When I priced an inside I2 for 2 I got

439.00 - 63.95 = 502.95

439.00 - 63.95 = 502.95

= 1005.90

When I priced an inside I2 for 2A and 2K I got

549.00 - 63.95 = 612.95

549.00 - 63.95 = 612.95

0.00 - 63.95 = 63.95

0.00 - 63.95 = 63.95

= 1353.80 - This is the price my TA got as well not the 1005.90.

So I'm sure it is capacity controlled. Is it the most truthful probably not. Is it false advertising I doubt it as it does appear that you can get the kids free in some cats.

FB

Archived