Desperately seeking info on the Amalfi Coast and Pompeii???

I utilized the www.driverinrome.com services on a November '04 Celebrity Med trip for both Florence and Rome. In addition, we arranged for a personalized tour of Pompei, Sorrento, Positano & Amalfi through the same service. "Umbarto (spelling?) was our driver". We spent almost half of the day in Pompei, that required us to move quite quickly through the ruins, and we spent the remainder touring/driving the Amalfi coast. At the end of the day we even had time to make a briefing shopping stop. The sunset drive back to port was unbelievable. There were eight of us, ranging from age 40 to 75. We returned to the ship with an hour remaining prior to sailing. The attentiveness and professionalism in each of the ports was superior to any shore excursion I have encountered with any cruise line. As we walked off the ship, there they were, and we were on our way. "No tripping over 30 ro 60 other fellow tour bus passengers, and the prices were very competitive, with tipping, it was GREAT." I have been on over 30 cruises, and I had been reluctant to NOT use the ships' shore excursion services, however, those days are gone.

Haven't been to the Amalfi coast on a cruise, just on vacation. Truly, there is so much to see there that a day won't do more than whet your appetite to go back! :) If you are there in May, you will be ahead of the major tourist waves -- good timing.

For such a limited visit, a private driver sounds like your best option. Like you, we love to use local transportation -- when we visited independently, we took the local train from Naples to Sorrento, passing Pompeii. In Sorrento, the bus was waiting outside the station to take us to Positano, where we were staying. But it does take more time than you will probably have. During our stay, we also took the bus from Positano to Amalfi then another bus to Ravello -- it's all so beautiful, these places will just blow you away. A glimpse of heaven on earth (unless maybe you are driving yourself round those cliffs and curves, in which case it might be more like he**!) :D

While you're in that region, be sure to try limoncello. And we still use and love the Vietri pottery we bought there -- my idea of the best kind of souvenir! We bought from a shop in Positano opposite the Sirenuse hotel, and they shipped it to our address in the US. Hmm, maybe it's time to go back for some more!

We were on Brilliance in October and did the Amalfi coast tour with Marcello. Having been before, I think that a private tour is better than the ships tour. We also got to spend a couple of hours in Pompeii, where we hired a guide.

You can see a photo/review of our day with Marcello at http://community.webshots.com/album/206657814nAwpVB/3 starting at page 133. On previous pages you can also see what we did in Barca, Villefranche, Rome and Florence. We did private tours in all the places, but I would recommend the ship's tours in Florence and Rome. I thought that they were more comprehensive because of the outstanding tour guides that we had. There was so much to see that a separate guide and driver were indispensible in Florence and Rome, IMO.

No disrespect to Italy but their government is not known for their effeciency. they have hundreds if not thousands of employees who still have jobs after they have literally no work to do. My point being that I saw a PBS show on the evacuation plan. the plan exists but according to PBS it would be impossible to get everybody away before the lava hits. Still, not too likely to die in an eruption. More likely to get run over by a crazy Italian motorist.

I did Pompeii and Herculaneum when I was a student staying at the British School in Rome. both are fantastic. Both are time consuming. If you only have one visit to Italy I would go for the Amalfi coast. A documentary on either historic site would probably mean more to you than even a guided tour of the sites. You get to see things off limits to tourists....like the bordello we got access to because we were students.............you can, however, safely venture under the marble toilets (sitting room for at least 25) as they should not have been used for 2000 years or so.

We took a tour with three stops in Italy, Florence, Rome and Naples. We used the same limo service for all three and were very satisfied. There were four couples and the procie was very reasonable - much less than booking on a ship. We used Sorrento Limosene and the web site is:

http://www.sorrentolimo.com

E-mail info@sorrentolimo.com

I might suggest that you contact them for prices and to set up a schedule that fits your needs. They were very accommodating. We had a driver named Mario who was just great. As we moved through the day we made some changes in our plans with no problem. We went from Naples through Sorrento (stopped at a music box factory), then on to the Amalfi coast (just beautiful) and then to Pompeii. We were able to stay as long or as short as we agreed on.

All in All the trip was just great. Good luck.

J Flynn - Gaithersburg, MD

Hi Lurontravel,

You will surely love the Amalfi Coast and Pompeii. We were there September of last year and had a blast. We did get a private tour through Gennaro of Sorrentolimo instead of the ship's organized tour. There are some areas where the tour buses can't go, on account of how narrow the roads are. Mariano, our tour guide picked us up promptly at 8 a.m. and returned us at 5 pm, enough time for us to get ready for dinner. Ship left at 7 pm. Mariano took us to Sorrento, Positano, and then we had lunch at Ravello before heading to Pompeii.

If you are curious as to what the Amalfi Coast looked like, please follow the link to my webshot album to see:

http://community.webshots.com/album/205667903OkpFiI?746

Happy Sailing!

Wow, great pics! I think your shots of Ravello, Positano and the Amalfi coastline make it clear why this is a NOT TO BE MISSED place! :) It's kinda bumming me out that I won't get to see it on my upcoming May Med cruise...but I'll get to spend a day in the Cinque Terre, so that will make up for it.

LeeAnne

In 2001, my wife and I took the ship's excursion to the Amalfi coast because we wanted to see as much as possible, yet not risk missing the ship. We first went to a cameo factory in Naples, and then spent several hours in Pompeii. Next we went to Sorrento for a wonderful lunch in a small restaurant, replete with musicians. The coach ride above the coast of Sorrento was breath-taking. If you're squeamish, you might want to choose an aisle seat. To get the best view, take a window on the right side of the coach. Then we went to the Isle of Capri, which was gorgeous with some amazing high-end shopping. We took a hydrofoil back to the ship. We were maybe 30 to 45 minutes late, but the ship waited for us. We have just booked our tenth cruise, and that excursion remains our favorite of all.

Rumba,

Thanks for sharing those wonderful photos with us. It brought back to me many happy memories. I particularly liked the photo of the Baths of Caracala. We walked there from the Coleseum one hot Sunday way back in 1994 not long after the 3 tenors sang there. It was on our first trip to Italy and I remember it fondly.

Jennie

I have received a quote from Drive Amalfi of 500 euros for a van holding 4/6 pax for the day. Their tour of Amalfi includes Positano, Ravello, Sorrento, plus lunch on own. I think we are going to do it as the cruise line wants $345 p.p. for a similar tour. Drive Amalfi says they can include Pompeii, which is a must for first-timers, and they are flexible. Several folks on this thread have recommended them. Hope this helps.

Can you combine it with a tour of Pompeii? We'd really like to go to Pompeii because we think that the kids love it, but I wonder what we're missing out on? What is on the Amalfi coast that is so wonderful (have to admit that we haven't looked into it or done ANY research on the Amalfi coast yet...), and can anyone give me a brief history of the area? We were thinking about going with the ship's shore excursion to Pompeii, can we combine this with it somehow? What are the logisitcs of time, etc ????

Are two pax. interested in joining two couples for a private tour out of Naples?

Sorrento Peninsula and Amalfi Coast, Thurs. June 2.

We have reserved a van for 4/6 pax for Euro 500. Highlights include Positano, Ravello, Pontone for lunch on own, Sorrento. No Pompeii. It'll be wonderful!

Please contact:

Maria Carmine: *****

We used Marcello for our private tour of Pompeii and the Amalfi Coast. It was one of the best days we have ever had on a cruise. An incredible experience. We have some pictures in our review that is linked in our signature; and quite a few more in the Ofoto album that is linked at the end of the review. Have a ball on your cruise. It doesn't get much better than a Med cruise.

Hey guys,

My wife and I did the Millenium cruise last May, and did it on our own. I am surprised no one has mentioned the Hydrovoil that you can take to or from the Pier where the cruise ships dock. We took a short cab ride to the train station, then a 20 minute train ride to the Pompeii site which is right where you get off the train. When you take the tour, make sure you pay the extra for the private guide which you will find near the ticket booths, makes all the difference in the world. Get back on the train , take it to Sorrento, have lunch and here is the kicker, take the Hydrovoil back to Naples, it takes about 20 minutes with no stops. It is the perfect round trip. We wil be on the Galaxy in September and will be taking the hydrovoil from the pier directly to Sorrento, where I will be renting a BMW motorcycle for a half day trip down the Almafi Coast. Back to Sorrento for beers and a late lunch and then the Hydrovoil back to the ship. I am sure you could arrange a driver or car in Sorrento once there but there is only so much time.

good luck sailor,

rockybaloa:)

Okay, now I have lots and lots of information to evaluate (my computer has been down for several days now...)and then discuss with the rest of my travel party (my parents, sister and brother-in-law and husband and two sons). The hydrofoil sounds interesting, rocky, any other particulars you can give me on it? Does it run pretty much continuously? Do you happen to remember the cost, and is there a website that you found the info at that I could go to? Rumba, thanks for sharing your pictures, it looks beautiful!

Tell me more about the restaurant you are recommending the San Giovanni Restaurant in the village of Pontone. We will be on the Brilliance of the Seas in June and would like to have lunch in a moderately priced restaurant. Give me description of restaurant and the food. Thanks Louise Carol

Louise Carol :http://WWW.ristorantesangiovanni.com Its a great little family run restaurant set on a hillside near Ravello in a village called Pontone with a terrace that has great views of Ravello and down to the coast.It is very moderately priced and serves homemade pasta,has an authentic pizza oven and serves grilled meat and fish dishes.It is also a good place to stock up on Limoncello and wine.Salvatore of Driveamalfi took us there as he has family in the village,it was a great choice.

We were on Brilliance in October and did the Amalfi coast tour with Marcello. Having been before, I think that a private tour is better than the ships tour. We also got to spend a couple of hours in Pompeii, where we hired a guide.

You can see a photo/review of our day with Marcello at http://community.webshots.com/album/206657814nAwpVB/3 starting at page 133. On previous pages you can also see what we did in Barca, Villefranche, Rome and Florence. We did private tours in all the places, but I would recommend the ship's tours in Florence and Rome. I thought that they were more comprehensive because of the outstanding tour guides that we had. There was so much to see that a separate guide and driver were indispensible in Florence and Rome, IMO.

What time did you return from your tour of Amalfi coast and Pompeii?

We got back approx 45 minutes before the ship sailed. It was a Sunday and we encountered very little traffic all the way from Pompeii to Naples. Traffic around Amalfi was unbelievable, I think that everyone that owned a car was out on the road. I think that it would be highly unlikely that you would miss the ship. The drivers are very conversant with the local traffic conditions and I know that Marcello predicted the conditions perfectly.

Having done the Amalfi coast privately and with the ship's tours, I would say that the private tour was the best. However, the ships tour was excellent and probably superior in Pompeii. You are wise not to take your kids with you, it's a long day, mostly spent travelling in a van/coach.

Pompeii sounds like a must and that it will require at least two hours.

What about the Amalfi Coast? I'm not quite sure if this includes Sorrento, Positano and Ravello. If you see one of the towns, is it just like seeing all of them?

Kare8ear,

Each town is completely different. Sorrento is quite a large town with lots of shops and restaurants and built on the top of a cliff but there is a lower level where the ferries come and go.

Positiano is a small town, with houses built up the cliff from the sea and very hilly. There is not one part of Positano that is flat. Our hotel was 330 steps up from the beach and the restaurants and I knew each night I had to climb those steps to get home. We were very fit after a week of staying there.

Ravello is a most beautiful town about 7kms inland from Amalfi. It is in the country and has the most wonderful views of the Amalfi coast. It also has lovely gardens and in my opinion a must if you have time. It is further around the coast than Positano and therefore further away from Naples where your ship will probably be docked.

Jennie

Yes, the Amalfi Coast includes those three towns, and no, they are not alike. Sorrento is actually a fairly large town with many hotels, as it's a popular place for travelers to stay and use as a homebase while touring the coast. It has an historic, cobblestone look, a lovely town square and a lot of shops that feature its famous inlaid wood crafts (boxes, small tables, etc.). Positano is an extremely picturesque village, formerly a classic fishing village but now a popular tourist stop that attracts celebrities and the rich & famous. It's built into the steep side of a cliff, with stone stairs instead of streets, ancient, pastel-colored buildings clinging to the mountainside, and a spectacular view of the coastal scenery. It's surrounded by fields of citrus, vineyards and other produce that are literally carved and terraced into the cliffs. It's truly an amazing sight, although it's become rather touristy, with many high-end boutiques and expensive, elegant little resorts. But just seeing it is worth the price of admission! Ravello is very different -- it's a tiny, unbelievably beautiful village perched high on a cliff overlooking the sea. It's more of a little artist colony, and is known for drawing writers and musicians. It has a couple of ancient villas with lovely gardens and vistas that are definitely worth seeing.

So definitely, try to see them all while you are there. Have a wonderful trip!

LeeAnne

edited to say: Aussiegal, looks like we were on the same wavelength! I posted my response before I saw yours. :)

Archived