Are electric kettles allowed in cabins ?

pearl12970

No they are not allowed. Items like that are prohibited on all cruise ships.

This is from Royal Caribbean's website:

< Back to Luggage & Luggage Tags

Luggage & Luggage Tags

Print This Page

Q: What items are not allowed onboard the cruise ship?

A: Weapons, illegal drugs, and other items that could interfere with the safe operation of the ship or the safe and secure environment of our guests and crew are prohibited. The following are examples of items that are not allowed onboard. These and other similar items will be confiscated upon being found.

Prohibited items:

Firearms & Ammunition, including realistic replicas.

Sharp Objects, including knives and scissors.

(Note: Personal grooming items such as safety razors are allowed.)

Illegal Drugs & Substances

Candles & Incense

Coffee Makers, Clothes Irons, & Hot Plates

Baseball Bats, Hockey Sticks, Cricket Bats, Bows & Arrows

Illegal Drugs

Skateboards & Surfboards

Martial Arts Gear

Self-Defense Gear, including handcuffs, pepper spray, night sticks.

Flammable Liquids and Explosives, including lighter fluid and fireworks.

HAM Radios

Dangerous Chemicals, including bleach and paint.

Personal Alcohol

I think the electric kettle would be unter the hot plates and coffee makers section.

I may have to disagree with the others. :eek:

I am going to say, call RCCL on this one because on Independence there IS electric tea kettles in each and every cabin. :D

Since the ship is home ported in Southampton and the brits need their tea, the tea kettles are provided. So when we sailed Indy out of FLL, we had a tea kettle in our cabin. :)

I don't see tea kettles listed in Kitty's list. And I know we had them in our cabin on Indy. So call RCCL and ask if you can bring one.

P&O ships also have them in all cabins, complete with a daily ration of biscuits (cookies for those in the USA).

Cruise lines might get nervious at you bringing a kettle as it is unlikely to have been checked and certified as officially safe by an electrician. Given that they draw a fairly hefty current, they are probably worried about the (admittedly v. slim) chance of said appliance bursting into flames.

Heaven knows how we manage to get to the end of the day alive, given the hazards which now apparently surround us but which were previously not a source of concern. Sigh.

I think some NCL ships also have coffee pots in each stateroom.

Most of the cruise lines have language in their passage contracts prohibiting passengers from bringing onboard basically anything with a heating element. The concern is fire, which is particularly scary at sea (the photos of the Star Princess fire a couple years back still scare the heck out of me). The cruise lines can carefully select the kettles they buy for themselves and monitor them to make sure they are still working properly, but if you bring on your own, then the cruise lines get nervous. I think it's easier for them to just ban everything, rather than risk someone bringing on something that turns out to be unsafe.

Archived