Information Please On Asian Cruise

binjo6

My hubby and I would like to take a Southeast Asia cruise. # of days is not an issue. We want casual not formal cruising. Does anyone have suggestions or recommendations for us. Name of cruise line, room recommendations, places not to miss. He definitely wants to see VietNam. Also, prefer only flying long distance one direction not both so could leave anyplace in US. Thank you so much for your comments and help.

Princess (and I am sure others) have repostioning cruises from Alaska to Asia each fall and from Asia to Alaska each spring. You could probalby take the repo plus the first or last Asian cruise of the season. That way you would do something like fly to Singapore or Bangkok and sail to Anchorage or Vancouver and fly home from there. Or vice versa in the fall.

Volendam departed Vancouver this week on its way to Asia, we have a friend who is spending 33 days ending up in HK with the majority of ports Japanese. I think V then does some 'around Asia', possibly including Vietnam and will then finally end up in Sydney for it's Aus-NZ season over our southern summer. Then heads back across the Pacific to the States next year.

We cruised 14 days on Legend of the Seas with RCCL earlier this year but the sailing was Shanghai-Singapore so would involve two flights for you.

peter

• 2 weeks later...

Pick your ship carefully as size matters if you want to avoid wasted time in busses travelling from A to B.

Smaller ships sail up the Ho Chi Minh river into Saigon/HCM, and the sail up river is amazing. Bigger ships dock a good 1.5hrs drive away.

Bigger ships tend to dock in container ports, smaller ships dock in the center of places like Hong Kong / Shanghai etc.

If you don't mind the bus trips then it is not an issue.

We loved Asia and in particular Vietnam. We cruised most recently (Mar 09)with Azamara in Asia, which has no formal nights etc - nice and casual with great food. Would sail with them again.

Archived