Carnival won't give resident rate after final payment

gargoyle999

I currently have an 8H booked on the Carnival Spirit for Nov 27th. Have been looking for a rate drop as I was interested in moving to an 8I. Well today I see there is a nice price drop on 8I with a resident rate. Called my TA and Carnival won't give me the resident rate since we are past final payment.

This was booked with Past Guest rate since ES was not available when I booked. I didn't know Carnival wouldn't give special rates to those wanting to upgrade after final payment so I just thought I'd pass it on.

I currently have an 8H booked on the Carnival Spirit for Nov 27th. Have been looking for a rate drop as I was interested in moving to an 8I. Well today I see there is a nice price drop on 8I with a resident rate. Called my TA and Carnival won't give me the resident rate since we are past final payment.

This was booked with Past Guest rate since ES was not available when I booked. I didn't know Carnival wouldn't give special rates to those wanting to upgrade after final payment so I just thought I'd pass it on.

I also tried for a price adjustment. I think this all changed last December. I was always able to get either OBC or a reduction in price before. :(

I'm not even wanting a price reduction or anything. I want to pay the additional amount for the 8I using the resident rate they have today. My TA is telling me Carnival will only give me the 8I for the Fun Select rate not the resident rate.

I knew without ES you could not get a price reduction or OBC after final payment. I did not know you couldn't take advantage of any special rates (past guest, resident, etc) to upgrade after final payment.

Wow. I am surprised too -- if I understand you correctly. Let's see if I have this straight:

Say you booked an 8H for $500pp and at the time the 8I was $600pp. And now the 8I is $525pp, at the resident rate. You want to pay the extra $25 to upgrade to the 8I? And they won't let you PAY MORE MONEY to upgrade?

If that is the case, it makes no sense to me. No sense at all. And sure is not very good customer service.

Wow. I am surprised too -- if I understand you correctly. Let's see if I have this straight:

Say you booked an 8H for $500pp and at the time the 8I was $600pp. And now the 8I is $525pp, at the resident rate. You want to pay the extra $25 to upgrade to the 8I? And they won't let you PAY MORE MONEY to upgrade?

If that is the case, it makes no sense to me. No sense at all. And sure is not very good customer service.

I think the problem lies here that despite it being a resident rate the minimal increase is the issue here. Why would the cruiseline be willing to sell that stateroom for a mere $25.00 p/p (using your example) when they could and probably will get a resident to pay the FULL resident rate ?

This is the situation, except the $ is a little higher :). I could pay to upgrade but not at the resident rate, I'd have to do it at the "full price" Fun Select rate. I've read plenty of posts here to know there would be no OBC if the rate for my current cabin category dropped without ES. But I hadn't read that you could not use promo rates to pay the difference and upgrade after final payment.

So I just wanted to bring it up so people are aware.

Nothing new here. This has been the policy from Dec of last year.

I'm sure it's not a new Carnival policy, but it was new to me! I don't think I am the only one who did not know you could not take advantage of special rates after final payment if your booking is not ES so that is why I made my posting.

I'm not even wanting a price reduction or anything. I want to pay the additional amount for the 8I using the resident rate they have today. My TA is telling me Carnival will only give me the 8I for the Fun Select rate not the resident rate.

I knew without ES you could not get a price reduction or OBC after final payment. I did not know you couldn't take advantage of any special rates (past guest, resident, etc) to upgrade after final payment.

Using special rates would be considered a price reduction...not going to happen after final payment is made unless you booked the Early saver rate. I didn't book ES and I've received two upgrades and two price reductions. The fare has gone down again this week but since I'm past final payment I'm done. I'm very satisfied with what I've gotten.

I just did this on our 11/1/09 cruise on the Freedom (after final payment). We had a 4G booked with the past guest rate, and upgraded and paid an additional $10 each for an OV guarantee at the resident rate. The rep who answered the phone had to speak to her supervisor to make sure they would change the discount rate, but they did it. I would call back.

Using special rates would be considered a price reduction...not going to happen after final payment is made unless you booked the Early saver rate. I didn't book ES and I've received two upgrades and two price reductions. The fare has gone down again this week but since I'm past final payment, I'm done. I'm very satisfied with what I've gotten.

I just did this on our 11/1/09 cruise on the Freedom (after final payment). We had a 4G booked with the past guest rate, and upgraded and paid an additional $10 each for an OV guarantee at the resident rate. The rep who answered the phone had to speak to her supervisor to make sure they would change the discount rate, but they did it. I would call back.

There ya go gargoyle! Call back! I would! Evidently nothing is written in stone.............

I know sometimes it all depends on who you talk to. We are booked on the Glory in a 6B category. Now we did do early saver, but wanted to upgrade. We were told one time that it would be $330 to upgrade to a 6E, well I called back 10 minutes later to book it and that person said it would only be $30! So maybe you should keep trying to call. Not sure if it is different since you used a TA instead of Carnival direct.

Sorry, Don't know if I should be asking here but the price of one of the cabins I booked for Jan has dropped 3 times since I booked. Should I just wait til final payment to deal with the changes or every time I see a change? I booked through a carnival Rep. Thanks

instances like this i prefer not using a ta. and booking directly with ccl. not saying all tas are like that...but maybe your problem lies with your ta not wanting to lose some $'s....

If the rate is still in effect on Monday I'll call back. I was dealing with someone else in the office not the actual TA I usually work with since he works M-F. The booking would actually be more money so the TA wouldn't be losing any money so I don't see why they wouldn't want to.

Gotta get the TA off their azz though.

That's what I was thinking too. I have read of people taking advantage of price reductions to upgrade after final payment to UPGRADE and they weren't booked with ES.

I think the TA doesn't want to do anymore work since there is little or no more $$$ in it for him/her.

Bill

Archived