private tours or not

Belfast Castle

IMO, the necessity of a private tour directly relates to how many scattered geographic locations you wish to visit on your port day in this area. On our first visit, in June, we wanted to spend some time in Nice, both in the Old Town and visiting the Chagall Museum, also definitely wanted to explore St. Paul de Vence, plus another quaint town, as well getting a general sense of the area through some photo stops, and Monaco, so decided to join a tour organized by some friends met on our roll call.

We ended up signing up for another cruise which has a port day starting in Nice and ending in Monaco. Most likely, we will spend more time exploring Nice in the detail we could not in June with six other people, and then use the excellent public transportation (good bus and train service in this area) to visit elsewhere before we reboard the ship in Monaco. (Others will opt simply to have the ship take them from Nice to Monaco.)

Our excellent tour guide was Sylvie di Christo. I also have ready many good reviews of Revelation Tours.

The one positive thing about a private tour in Villefranche is that the taxis are pretty expensive and not as available. We have been there several times and have done mostly things on our own and find it easy. BUT... if this is your first time, and you want to see several things, it definitely is the way to go.

Have a great time... this is one of my favorite stops!

|thanks for the reply.

Just wondering as this is our first visit would you suggest we just visit villefranche or should we go a little further afield as well.

thanks

Barbara

The one positive thing about a private tour in Villefranche is that the taxis are pretty expensive and not as available. We have been there several times and have done mostly things on our own and find it easy. BUT... if this is your first time, and you want to see several things, it definitely is the way to go.

Have a great time... this is one of my favorite stops!

|thanks for the reply.

Just wondering as this is our first visit would you suggest we just visit villefranche or should we go a little further afield as well.

thanks

Barbara

For your first time I would suggest Monaco and Eze... this gives you a great look at Monaco and Eze is ADORABLE and on the way either to Monaco or from Monaco back to Villefranche sur mer. I would get back into Villefranche in time to wander and then you are where you need to be to get a tender back to the ship. It is EXTREMELY easy to take the train into Monaco. You can actually follow the masses to the train station that is just to the right of where the tender will let you off.

BUT... if I can find some information on the private tour company for this area, I will post for you. I think it's very reasonable to be able to visit these 3 towns for your day here.

It's such a beautiful area!

Archived