Advice for crusing with an infant...

AandBmom

DH is heading to Florida for business and I am going to tag along with our infant son. I love cruising and really want to take a short Bahamas cruise while we're in the area. Our son will be around 8 or 9 months when we'll be there (around Nov. Dec.). He's a fantastic natured baby so far. He doesn't currently move around too much, but by then could very well be crawling. We've cruised before a few times but never with our children. We know what to expect somewhat from our infant as we have two other young children (they won't come on the cruise). We however are sure that there are things about cruising with an infant that we're not considering. Can those with experience in this area please help us out.

I'd like to know: where would a crib go in the cabin? Are there a few cabins that tend to be better suited for an infant?

What costs are associated with an infant ie. daily service fee/tip thing (I forget what that is called), ticket to cruise in the first place, etc.?

How difficult is it to navigate with a stroller on board?

Are there many other babies on cruises?

How receptive do you think the other cruisers are to discreet but public breastfeeding?

Anything else I'm forgetting?

Please share your advice/experiences.

Also, does NCL do anything to make cruising with an infant harder or easier?

min age is 6 months... no DSC under 3 years of age...

I don't know the answer to any of the other questions... and as to how other passengers will react to public breast feeding it all depends on who is on the ship, I would guess it would be similar to the reactions you would get on land.

Public breastfeeding is not any more well recieved than on land. I say that that breastfed three of my five children. Just letting you know. Especially I suggest you do NOT try it in any dining room. I am not saying it is wrong, it is not, but sometimes one should have consideration for other passengers, and this is one of those times.

I suggest you visit the family board on here for the most advice.

Oh infants are full third person fare as well.

DH is heading to Florida for business and I am going to tag along with our infant son. I love cruising and really want to take a short Bahamas cruise while we're in the area. Our son will be around 8 or 9 months when we'll be there (around Nov. Dec.). He's a fantastic natured baby so far. He doesn't currently move around too much, but by then could very well be crawling. We've cruised before a few times but never with our children. We know what to expect somewhat from our infant as we have two other young children (they won't come on the cruise). We however are sure that there are things about cruising with an infant that we're not considering. Can those with experience in this area please help us out.

I'd like to know: where would a crib go in the cabin? Are there a few cabins that tend to be better suited for an infant?

What costs are associated with an infant ie. daily service fee/tip thing (I forget what that is called), ticket to cruise in the first place, etc.?

How difficult is it to navigate with a stroller on board?

Are there many other babies on cruises?

How receptive do you think the other cruisers are to discreet but public breastfeeding?

Anything else I'm forgetting?

Please share your advice/experiences.

Also, does NCL do anything to make cruising with an infant harder or easier?

You've asked this on nearly every thread, now. There is a family cruising board where there are lots of families with kids of all ages who could better answer these questions:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49

Uppitycats:

Thanks for replying. I actually only posted on two boards - Carnival and NCL as those are the two that I'm considering. Shortly after posting I was informed of the family cruising board which I somehow never noticed before even though I've been a CC member for many years. I've been researching through that board since.

Arwenmark:

I'm surprised that you find breastfeeding on the ships and particularly in the dining room so offensive. Maybe it's a Canadian thing, or a modern mom thing, but around here it's seen as very natural and moms can be seen nursing their infants almost everywhere

Arwenmark:

I'm surprised that you find breastfeeding on the ships and particularly in the dining room so offensive. Maybe it's a Canadian thing, or a modern mom thing, but around here it's seen as very natural and moms can be seen nursing their infants almost everywhere

I don't think Arwnemark finds breastfeeding offensive, afterall she breastfed three of her own children.;)

I think she was just saying that there may be OTHER passnegers that have a problem with public breastfeeding and she is just trying to spare you some inappropriate comments or stares.:)

It may be very common where you live but you are going to run into all sorts of people, and any number of them will not see it as you do.

My son took his first cruise at 3 months of age and had two more before he turned one. The only slight snafu we had was when our luggage nearly didn't arrive with us (Celebrity). Luckily it did. That said, I would make sure to have plenty of diapers, clothes and formula (if needed) for a few days and put them all in a carry on. It really doesn't matter how many other babies are going to be on board as the child will not remember anything. We never took a playpen/crib and none were ever supplied to us. Purchased a cheap stroller (fold-up) from Walmart for under $10 and that worked out well for us as it was lightweight.

You will pay only taxes and port charges for your child. That is the rule with NCL for 2 and under.

make sure to bring plenty of diapers and such for your baby. Make sure to bring some toys for him to lay with, as he will not be allowed in the nursery except with you. Also he will not be able to go in the pool.

We have traveled on NCL, Disney and RCL with two young children. Disney is the best for their care for young children in that they do babycare after 6 mo. of age, which we used only at night after he was sleeping anyway. (Perfect--carried him down, laid him in their crib, had a delightful quiet dinner, and collected him afterwards.)

That said, the Disney ship and itineraries aren't our first choice and NCL is perfect for us. They provide pack-n-play type crib. Their child care doesn't begin until 2 y/o but we dined early and simply brought the stroller into the restaurant with us. (We made advanced reservations and informed them about the stroller and they kindly placed us in the best location so we weren't in anyone's way.)

We did upgrade to a cabin with a balcony so our early nights in were still pretty special--sitting outside with a glass of wine looking at the stars over the ocean (all while the baby sleeps peacefully on the other side of the glass door) was worth the extra $ in our minds.

Have a great cruise!

min age is 6 months... no DSC under 3 years of age...

I don't know the answer to any of the other questions... and as to how other passengers will react to public breast feeding it all depends on who is on the ship, I would guess it would be similar to the reactions you would get on land.

We too have seen all kinds of reactions to breastfeeding in public onboard. I agree there are so many different people who are used to different customs that it will be hard to say what reactions other passengers might have. For me, as long as it's discreet and not bothering others (by which I mean not "in your face" or distracting others in the area because a mom is intentionally "noticeable"), then it's no one's business. I do think it's courteous to realize that some people find obvious public breastfeeding to be uncomfortable, regardless of the fact that's it's so natural. That doesn't mean that moms should be made to feel unwelcome or wrong either, and it bugs me when people suggest that a mom "just take the baby/child to the restroom and nurse there." Yuck! I don't eat my meals in the restroom and don't expect babies/toddlers to do so either.

You will pay only taxes and port charges for your child. That is the rule with NCL for 2 and under.

make sure to bring plenty of diapers and such for your baby. Make sure to bring some toys for him to lay with, as he will not be allowed in the nursery except with you. Also he will not be able to go in the pool.

That's correct, as you say, for NCL, but I'm not sure it is for Carnival. I know it's not for most cruise lines. (Technically, it's an NCL policy and not a "rule." I mention that because they could change their policy any time they choose.)

Good suggestions about the diapers, etc. because sometimes parents don't realize how much they really need to bring with them.

AandBmom: We honestly can't answer some of your questions until we know which cruise line you've chosen. The policies for minimum age, DSC, and cruise fares vary. My own feeling on the DSC is that babies make work for the crew too, especially the cabin stewards, and should be compensated appropriately.

beachchick

Archived