Returing to RCCL and need your help...Please!

kooljamming

It has been 3 or 4 years since my last cruise on RCCL. Since then we have had 2 on Carnival and loved them, two on Princess with my last one a bit disappointing but the first wonderful. My cruises on Princess lacked a certain fun vibe. My cruises on Carnival was too much Fun some days. We are booked on Mariner OTS sailing on Valentines Days. Before you knock Carnival I am one of the loud, all about fun people many of you keep complaining about:D

-Are there any special activities or decoration for this occasion?

-I have been reading the dress thread and it appears the food must be quite good for all the blah, blah, blah. Is the food what most reason person can expect, nice banquet or is it now fine dining? Is it is a then 9 gowns and alll the heels I can find :-)

-Is there a live band by the pool, something lacking on both my Princess cruises. Can I get out and deck and drop it like it's hot, even if I can't pick it back up.

-What about the night life. Princess rocks with a nice band that played song from the 70's and 80's. I liked that, so anything similar?

-Last time RCCL had a lot of Caribbean staff (Jamaican;)), is this still true?

Can I wear jeans in the dining room - JUST KIDDIN'

Thanks

Don't know about Valentine's decorations! They do decorate (at least in the dining room) for other holidays, like Easter!

The food is fine...just don't expect "fine dining". While the service is "fine dining appropriate", the actual cuisine is a bit lacking. Cut-backs, you know!

Pool bands vary from ship to ship---we've had full bands and duos (with computerized music assist)...I doubt you'll be dancing on the pool deck!

They do have a "dance band" in one of the lounges---typical dance music of all genres.

The staff is from everywhere--not just the Caribbean....lots from Europe, the Pacific and the Slavic countries. They're all very attentive.

I can give you answers to a few of your questions.....

Never cruised over Valentines day, so can't help you there.

Food is different on each ship.....and every person sees it differently. Personally, I think the food is a step up from "banquet" food (I've never had mystery meat--and since they dropped the ranch steak). If you want "fine dining" go to Portifinos or Chops.

They do have a "pool" band and they play different times during the day. It's posted in you daily Compass.

We had the ABSOLUTE BEST BAND ever back on the Empress. Played great 50s 60s 70s 80s...everything! They were going from Empress to Vision. Don't know where they are now. Personally I think the larger RCL ships (the ones with the Promenade) don't have great bands on them. The smaller ships always seem to have better bands. If I remember right they might have a band that plays up in the Viking Crown area, and they have a "disco" (Crypt maybe?)

RCL does have a lot of the friendly Jamaicans on staff, along with many others from different island nations.

For me the food is the same league as Carnival and Princess. I find the food in the MDR better on Carnival, but the buffet on Royal Caribbean blows the buffet on Carnival away and with much more choices too. Lot of people saying that the food on Carnival is (much) better on Carnival are craving about the hamburgers,fries and hotdogs!

Just came back from the Mariner two weeks ago and you can NOT go wrong.

We just got off the FOS on the 20th and we loved the food. The MDR had several choices (from heart healthy to seafood, pasta and usually a chicken dish, and many others) every night. IMHO I think the food is very good. We are not gourmet food connoisseurs, I don't frequent 5 star restaurants but I like good food. I don't feel that RCCL disappointed us in any way with the food.

Jammin - I will do a review when we return. We are also FUN nightlife people who can occasionally be described as "loud". ;) (Fear not anyone who will cruise with us - we behave appropriately but we will be laughing and partying and dancing). :D There is a pool band for at least a few hours every day and there is a dance floor out there. We've been known to be out there with a lot of people - or with just a few friends. But you can get your groove on.

Since your last 2 trips were on Princess, you should know that RCI offers Traditional and Flexible dining, just like Princess. But Flexible is strictly voluntary, nobody is forced into it. The worst, if you want Early Trad, you might have to take Late. (But talk to M'D first night and they can switch you). No waiting lists and nobody sitting in a bar with a beeper.

Since your last 2 trips were on Princess, you should know that RCI offers Traditional and Flexible dining, just like Princess. But Flexible is strictly voluntary, nobody is forced into it. The worst, if you want Early Trad, you might have to take Late. (But talk to M'D first night and they can switch you). No waiting lists and nobody sitting in a bar with a beeper.

For this cruise we are trying late traditonal. There is something about traditional dining and dressing up that says cruising and not just another nice vacation. If the food is Ok but the music by the pool is good, I am kool about it:D If there is music I will dance like no one is watching!

For this cruise we are trying late traditonal. There is something about traditional dining and dressing up that says cruising and not just another nice vacation. If the food is Ok but the music by the pool is good, I am kool about it:D If there is music I will dance like no one is watching!

My only advice is to have a good time! :p

I love the reggae bands by the pool with a number of alcoholic drinks! :D

Archived