Emerald Grotto

elpam

Can anyone tell me if they have visited this site on the Amalfi coast? If so, would you recommend going there? Or, would you suggest going to the gardens in Ravello instead (may be a time constraint). Thanks, elaine

Can anyone tell me if they have visited this site on the Amalfi coast? If so, would you recommend going there? Or, would you suggest going to the gardens in Ravello instead (may be a time constraint). Thanks, elaine

Do not waste one second going to the Emerald Grotto. It was really pathetic - just a big cave with underwater lighting and some stagamites and during the whole 5 minute tour going in a circle around the cave, the guide keeps mentioning about tipping him. Needless to say we didn't and received an earfull.

The Cimbrone gardens in Ravello are absolutely breathtaking and definitely one of the top sites we visited during our Amalfi tour. Have a super time.

Do not waste one second going to the Emerald Grotto. It was really pathetic - just a big cave with underwater lighting and some stagamites and during the whole 5 minute tour going in a circle around the cave, the guide keeps mentioning about tipping him. Needless to say we didn't and received an earfull.

The Cimbrone gardens in Ravello are absolutely breathtaking and definitely one of the top sites we visited during our Amalfi tour. Have a super time.

Thanks so much; that is exactly the information I was looking for!

We didnt actually go in the Emerald grotto - it was closed when we were there in late Nov.

but it can't be much...... like the poster above me said......just a cave.

Ravello on the other hand is a charming mountain village. We did not go into the gardens but wandered the streets of this very Italian locale.....loved it. One of my favorite memories is when I was standing in the square and the church bells began ringing......LOUDLY. In fact you could feel the ringing in your whole body..... I remember wondering what it must have been like when they rang when during WWII they were no longer occupied by the Germans....... or how many weddings have they rang for..... and how these bells are such a part of the daily life there...... priceless. Don't miss Ravello.

We sometimes vacation in Praiano which is close to the Emerald Grotto. The locals and regular visitors all laugh about that tourist trap and we have heard the word "sucker" used to describe the visitors.

Hank

Thanks again to all who have responded. Skip the Grotto, spend time in Ravello. How about Positano, Amalfi and where else? elaine

Both Ravello and Positano are places not to be missed. As to Amalfi, it does rise to the quality of the other two places, but it's convenient if visiting Ravello and does have a few nice shops.

Hank

Positano was my favorite of the three, with Ravello second and Amalfi third. Positano is just so picturesque..... be prepared to walk alot of stairs or inclines ! We walked all the way down to the beach and watched a painter painting a landscape. Then wandered the tiny streets. Found an Italian version of a 7-11 and bought some wonderful homemade chocolates :p Amalfi we stopped at longest - lunch break there. When we walked into the square a wedding was just over and the wedding party was coming down the huge stairs of the cathedral there. The mom was crying - everyone else smiling and happy. Neat.

But the whole Amalfi coast area is stunning. Truly the most beautiful place I have been. Can't wait to go back for a land visit.

We did a private tour from Naples. Did Pompeii in the morning with private guide - then Ravello, Amalfi and Positano ending in Sorrento where we took the ferry back to Naples. What a day - one of my favorites.

Thanks everyone for all the great information. I have seen the Amalfi coast, but never stopped. This will be a treat; can't wait! Texancruiser, you write very poetically; I always enjoy your colorful descriptions. Has anyone used a private guide, and if so, are you allowed to recommend one? Appreciate your help, elaine

Thanks everyone for all the great information. I have seen the Amalfi coast, but never stopped. This will be a treat; can't wait! Texancruiser, you write very poetically; I always enjoy your colorful descriptions. Has anyone used a private guide, and if so, are you allowed to recommend one? Appreciate your help, elaine

You raise an interesting point and one of my "pet peeves" with cruise ship tours. Every cruise line provided Amalfi Coast tours from Naples. These tours are on typical tour buses which are big and comfortable. However, tour buses are not permitted to enter Postiano and can only stop (or drive) on the Amalfi Drive which is above the city. So, these tours give folks a look at Positano but never allow their passengers to experience this wonderful cliff-side city. This is akin to looking at San Francisco from a hill and never going into town. We have noticed that some of these cruise line tours do not make it very clear that their tours do not allow you to go into Positano (it is usually a fact that is hidden in the fine print or they say "you will see Positano") which is a darn shame. The only way to enter Positano is on foot (its quite a walk downhill), on the local Orange buses, on a SITA bus, or in a car/van. There is another option which is to arrive by boat, but these boats are somewhat limiting by schedules.

Hank

You raise an interesting point and one of my "pet peeves" with cruise ship tours. Every cruise line provided Amalfi Coast tours from Naples. These tours are on typical tour buses which are big and comfortable. However, tour buses are not permitted to enter Postiano and can only stop (or drive) on the Amalfi Drive which is above the city. So, these tours give folks a look at Positano but never allow their passengers to experience this wonderful cliff-side city. This is akin to looking at San Francisco from a hill and never going into town. We have noticed that some of these cruise line tours do not make it very clear that their tours do not allow you to go into Positano (it is usually a fact that is hidden in the fine print or they say "you will see Positano") which is a darn shame. The only way to enter Positano is on foot (its quite a walk downhill), on the local Orange buses, on a SITA bus, or in a car/van. There is another option which is to arrive by boat, but these boats are somewhat limiting by schedules.

Hank

We took the local bus from Sorrento to Positano. I think we only paid 3 euros, or so. We got off the bus at Positano, walked around for a couple of hours and then caught the bus going back to Sorrento. It was pretty easy to do. You buy the bus tickets at the train station in Sorrento. The bus is right down the hill from the train station. It is a beautiful place!!:)

We took the local bus from Sorrento to Positano. I think we only paid 3 euros, or so. We got off the bus at Positano, walked around for a couple of hours and then caught the bus going back to Sorrento. It was pretty easy to do. You buy the bus tickets at the train station in Sorrento. The bus is right down the hill from the train station. It is a beautiful place!!:)

Yep. That would be the SITA bus I referenced in my post. As you mentioned, folks should buy their bus tickets before they board the bus. They sell SITA tickets at the tobacco kiosk in the train station and at most news stands and stores in the area of the bus stop. Anyone riding that bus from Sorrento should try to get a seat on the right side of the bus (not easy to do since most want that side) to get the best views of the sea. One problem with this bus is that it can be very crowded in the summer tourist season and its not uncommon for passengers to stand for the entire ride.

Hank

Archived