After the Cruise

Grace1107

I hate to even think of when our cruise is over on the Freedom on November 15th but I'm trying to do some planning.

I think we are going to take a 5:30 PM flight from Fort Lauderdale. Was thinking of renting a car when we got off the ship and head to Miami to maybe just take in some more beach stuff before we return to the snowbelt.

I don't want to sit at the airport all day. How long will it take to drive to Miami? I noticed that Carnival offers tours to Miami for $40/pp and they are over by 1:30PM. I thought the five of us could rent a car for $65 for the day and do what we want.

Is this feasible? Any caveats from anyone who has done this? Also any beach recommendations for Miami?

Everyone is so helpful on this board. Thank you.:p

If it were my group, I wouldn't waiste time driving to/from Miami. I would find a beach in Ft. Lauderdale and just hang for the day. When we got off the Freedom in July we drove up the coast to Deerfield Beach where we had a hotel for the night. We passed a lot of beautiful beaches from Ft. Lauderdale to Deerfield Beach.

Not saying that it can't be done, but you'd probably have more time and fun if you just stay around Fort Lauderdale. You never know what will happen in traffic driving to Miami...and I'd hate to see you get stuck in something and get there and have to turn right around and leave because you've run out of time. I know that could happen anywhere, but if you aren't going that far it is less likely to happen.

The beach is beautiful in FLL...and there are some wonderful restaurants on the waterfront and also on the Intracoastal...for a great lunch.

Not saying that it can't be done, but you'd probably have more time and fun if you just stay around Fort Lauderdale. You never know what will happen in traffic driving to Miami...and I'd hate to see you get stuck in something and get there and have to turn right around and leave because you've run out of time. I know that could happen anywhere, but if you aren't going that far it is less likely to happen.

The beach is beautiful in FLL...and there are some wonderful restaurants on the waterfront and also on the Intracoastal...for a great lunch.

Agree. Remember that for a 5:30 flight, you have to be to the airport at least 2 hours prior to the flight (3:30). That doesn't leave much time for Miami considering the travelling time to and from, traffic, parking (ugh!), etc. By the time you get there, it will be time to come back. Go to Ft. Lauderdale beach...it's a hop, skip and a jump from Port Everglades and FLL. But, if you're hell-bent on seeing Miami Beach, I'd make a bee-line there, have lunch at one of the outdoor cafes on Ocean Drive and make a bee-line back to FLL. That's about all you'll have time to do.

Do you have your flights already? When you say "I think we are going to take the 5:30 flight." I wasn't sure if you couldn't remember the time, or you are planning on booking it for that time. If you don't have them yet, why not take a flight out of Miami? This way you are that much closer to the airport....And do a one way with your car rental?

Archived