Gigantic: world's largest cruise ship nears completionSeptember 29, 2009

thied

Gigantic: world's largest cruise ship nears completionSeptember 29, 2009

Royal Caribbean's Oasis of the Seas is the largest cruise ship ever built.

In a little more than two months, Oasis of the Seas will be cruising the waters of the Caribbean on its maiden voyage

http://www.smh.com.au/travel/gigantic-worlds-largest-cruise-ship-nears-completion-20090923-g13i.html

photos

http://www.smh.com.au/photogallery/travel/worlds-largest-cruise-ship-takes-shape/20090924-g48b.html?selectedImage=0

you can also find this in the following places

brisbane times

gotgames

treehugge

flyertalk

What an ugly piece of rubbish.:eek:

Built to cater for the shallow, materialistic, whims of a jaded society.

Give me the promenade deck on a traditional cruise ship any day. :)

My sentiments exactly, Dennis.

from what i read there only going to get bigger

Now theres an awful thought. ;)

They can say what they like about our poor old Aussie fleet of so called "second grade ships" - but they'll do me.

They may be old[ish] but at least they look and feel like ships - and not floating apartment blocks, shopping malls, or fun parks.:D

Rasa Sayang, I was just looking at some photos and reading about the Oasis and it mentioned all the wonderful pools etc and then stated 'roving entertainment' and I felt sad. Talk about overkill! :eek:

Who wants to be lazing on a deck chair enjoying the peace and being 'forcibly disturbed' by some noisy entertainers? After all it's supposed to be about doing as much or as little as you want. :cool: Also just imagine the queues!

Wow... are you all actually saying that you wouldn't jump at the chance to sail on Oasis of the Seas? We all have our preferences, but for me, the architecture of this supergiant ship is spectacular and unique. It's nice to see something that is a little 'different' to the traditional cruise ship.

Don't get me wrong. The size and shape of a traditional cruise ship is still very appealing, and I'm looking forward to sailing on the Pacific Dawn (the 'second class' ship) later this year. The appeal between the PD and the new supergiant Caribbean ships is identical for me. But I really, really doubt that, if given the chance, that anyone on this forum would pass up the novelty and excitement of sailing on the Oasis.

No matter what, I know all 6000+ passenger spaces on this ship will be filled, and stay filled for a long time.

Wow... are you all actually saying that you wouldn't jump at the chance to sail on Oasis of the Seas? We all have our preferences, but for me, the architecture of this supergiant ship is spectacular and unique. It's nice to see something that is a little 'different' to the traditional cruise ship.

Don't get me wrong. The size and shape of a traditional cruise ship is still very appealing, and I'm looking forward to sailing on the Pacific Dawn (the 'second class' ship) later this year. The appeal between the PD and the new supergiant Caribbean ships is identical for me. But I really, really doubt that, if given the chance, that anyone on this forum would pass up the novelty and excitement of sailing on the Oasis.

No matter what, I know all 6000+ passenger spaces on this ship will be filled, and stay filled for a long time.

i have to say that is the best thing that has ever been said so far :D

Wow... are you all actually saying that you wouldn't jump at the chance to sail on Oasis of the Seas?

That's exactly what I'm saying. Don't get me wrong, if someone was paying for me I'd do it but I have no desire whatsoever to spend my hard earned money on a cruise with 6000 other passengers.

I think the time is coming when these "floating resorts" wont actually visit any ports...many of our ships now are too large for cruise terminals leaving us to disembark in container ports many many miles from where we want to see.

Can you imagine tendering 6000 passengers.

That said I think there will be a market...cruise lines aren't stupid they wont build what they cant sell. Max passengers means max affordibility.

After a few years on these huge ships people will look for a different experience as well, so I think there will always be a range of ships and sizes to suit everybody.

Try em all that's what I say.:D:D:D

Wow... are you all actually saying that you wouldn't jump at the chance to sail on Oasis of the Seas?

Weird as it may seem, yes. Even if someone paid for me to to do a cruise on it, I wouldn't.

It's interesting to see the architecture and all that, but it's too big, too ugly, and nothing like a ship. I can't understand building huge ships to only do short 7 night cruises.. you couldn't explore the whole ship in that time, and what's the point in going on a big ship if you only spend your time in around 70,000 tonnes of it, instead of the whole 225,000 tonnes?

It does look impressive, but I don't personally like it.. I much prefer the older style ships where the ocean was the focus - you go on a cruise to be at sea, not be lost in a floating hotel watching some idiot shriek past your cabin on a zip line or climb a fake wall. :D

Having ranted about all that though, I wouldn't mind a tour of it to see how it all works... :)

id go on her , but would have to be min of a month cruise, you would need that long to find your way around,some i think that she would much better in real life like cruiseing to sydney, id bet evrey one would down say how great she looks.

id go on her , but would have to be min of a month cruise, you would need that long to find your way around,some i think that she would much better in real life like cruiseing to sydney, id bet evrey one would down say how great she looks.

I wonder if they designed her to be able to carry enough fuel to get all the way down here?

I think the time is coming when these "floating resorts" wont actually visit any ports...many of our ships now are too large for cruise terminals leaving us to disembark in container ports many many miles from where we want to see.

Can you imagine tendering 6000 passengers.

As I recall, they're (there's another one being built) actually pretty much limited to the Caribbean, as it's the only general place which can accommodate these ships, both in the ports/terminals and also channels to get to and from the ports.

I don't think I would like be in one of those "inside" balconies

I had a similar thought when I saw them. It's just too dark and cramped, and reminded me of living across from a dense block of units where that's all you can see, and they can all see you. I'd rather a regular inside cabin.

I won't knock her until I sail on her, if that should ever happen.:rolleyes:

What draft is she? I wonder if that could restrict the places she can either anchor or dock.

A good thought is that maybe they will send her on a world cruise says me who is always hopeful that one day RCCL will have a ship sail on a round the world voyage.

Jillybean:)

Thank you Thied for the links as i hadnt seen it so me and my hubby had a look it looks interesting but i will stick with Sun Princess a couple of thousand passengers are enough for me i looked at the boardwalk there and i dont think i would like it as i wouldnt think i was on a cruise it looks like our hillarys boat harbour here (shops on boardwalk) i want to see ocean.

Another question for me on the artists impresions there dosent seem too many sundeck chairs around to cater for enough passengers

Only our opinion

Thied you give us many interesting links

Aussiemin

What an ugly piece of rubbish.:eek:

Built to cater for the shallow, materialistic, whims of a jaded society.

Give me the promenade deck on a traditional cruise ship any day. :)

I've just been reading the latest Cruise Magazine and saw a picture of Norwegian Epic a new ship but it is not good looking at all...what were they thinking....:rolleyes:

I'm in two minds. It would be an experience, but if you were to have the Oasis or allure in port at the same time as one ot two other ships, it would be pandamonium.

For some strange reason, a few of the crew I was talking to on the Rhapsody were looking at having their contracts on the Oasis or Allure. I couldn't think of anything worse. A constant turn over of at least 5,000 passengers every week!! Wouldn't be my cup of tea.

There are no tender ports for the Oasis. Only Labadee, which is a private resort that RCI owns, was a tender port, and they had to build a pier for her.

Having been on the 'smaller' Voyager, crowding never seemed to be a problem. No queues at the Windjammer (Buffet) or need to save seats in the Theatre. There were plenty of places to go and do your thing.

Only time it was crowded was disemabrkation, when us 'foreign aliens' had to go through US Immigration on the ship and hold up the disembarkation process.:D

Would I sail on the Oasis Class? Give it a few years, and see how well or bad it goes. I'd hate to be on the Maiden Voyage of any new ship.:p

I've just been reading the latest Cruise Magazine and saw a picture of Norwegian Epic a new ship but it is not good looking at all...what were they thinking....:rolleyes:

She is EXTREMELY ugly:eek:

Archived