Car rental in MIA and FLL; which companies allow you to choose cars?

Middleager

Last year in Aug., I booked an economy car from Alamo from Miami Airport. When I got to Alamo, they processed the rental, then had me go to the lot to choose a car myself.

There was no economy cars available. That was a time when gas price was high. Few wanted to drive big cars that used more gas. I walked to the row of SUVs. That's when I saw 2 small cars returned, but were immediately picked up by some renters. I picked out a Toyota SUV to drive away, the lot attendant didn't say anything.

I also heard many people booking small cars, but no problem when driving out a big car, SUV, or even mini-van, around that time.

The gas price is much better now. How is it nowadays at the car rental locations?

Also, which car rental companies at the MIA and FLL airport locations would allow you to choose from the cars on the lot?

We are coming in March/2010 for a cruise. We'll be renting from MIA and return to FLL to before the cruise. After cruise will rent from FLL for 2 days before returning to FLL.

Last year in Aug., I booked an economy car from Alamo from Miami Airport. When I got to Alamo, they processed the rental, then had me go to the lot to choose a car myself.

I worked for five years in a rental car company and we never let the customer choose his own car. I think you got very lucky to be able to do that the one time. You can certainly request a specific make or model, but chances are, your Alamo experience was not the norm. JMO.

We rented once at Budget in FLL and we did not choose. We were assigned a car.

We flew into FLL in June. We had a reservation with National. When we got to the counter she said we had rented from them previously (quite a few years ago :o) and we were a member of their club (maybe called the Emerald club) So we could choose our car from the Emerald Isle in the garage. Got a brand new Toyota Camry!!

So if the rates are any good with National, join their club to be able to choose from their Emerald Isle. It is only available at certain locations, but I know it is available at FLL.

I worked for five years in a rental car company and we never let the customer choose his own car. I think you got very lucky to be able to do that the one time. You can certainly request a specific make or model, but chances are, your Alamo experience was not the norm. JMO.

We rented once at Budget in FLL and we did not choose. We were assigned a car.

Which car rental company did you work in?

In a few other Alamo locations (Tampa, Hawaii, and I think Atlanta), they all allowed me to go and choose a car.

In an off airport location in Aug., the Budget rental assigned a specific car to us. I actually had some issues with that rental but that's a separate story.

We rented earlier this year at Budget in FLL. They directed us out to the parking area and told us to pick our own car within the category we had chosen.

With Budget in Orlando a few years ago, they also told us to go to the parking lot to pick out a car in the assigned category.

We flew into FLL in June. We had a reservation with National. When we got to the counter she said we had rented from them previously (quite a few years ago :o) and we were a member of their club (maybe called the Emerald club) So we could choose our car from the Emerald Isle in the garage. Got a brand new Toyota Camry!!

So if the rates are any good with National, join their club to be able to choose from their Emerald Isle. It is only available at certain locations, but I know it is available at FLL.

That's good. What category did you book originally. I'm a member of all the car rental companies. They're all free to join.

Maybe last year was special, because most people wanted to drive the smallest car away due to high gas prices, and car rental companies didn't care if people chose much larger cars or SUV/vans instead.

That's good. What category did you book originally. I'm a member of all the car rental companies. They're all free to join.

We reserved a mid size or standard ?? We were suppose to get a Pontiac G6 or similiar.

I think Alamo and National merged a few years ago. That may be why you had a similiar experience with Alamo. Some places the Alamo and National counter are together as one but have both companies represented.

If you go on National's website you can read about their Emerald Isle.........pretty sure it gives the details as to what category you need to reserve in order to choose your vehicle. It also lists the locations that offer this.

Archived