S. Caribbean - trying to decide which cruise to take

Hi,

I'm at a loss and thought I would ask other traveler's their opinion. I've cruised the S, E, and W Caribbean in the past but of course there are a few islands I haven't visited.

I'm looking to take another S. Caribbean cruise out of San Juan on Serenade of the Seas next summer (I think AOS is currently doing these 2 choices). The cruise alternates its destination each week. Below are my 2 choices.

• San Juan, Puerto Rico; (been there 2x's but love it & want to cruise from there again)
  • Willemstad, Curacao;
  • Oranjestad, Aruba;
  • Roseau, Dominica; (been there 1x in 2008)
  • Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas; (been there 2x in 2006 and 2008)

Or

• Castries, St. Lucia; (been there 1x in 2008)[/color]
  • St. John's, Antigua; (been there 1x in 2008)[/color]
  • Philipsburg, St. Maarten; (been there 1x, back in 2006)[/color]
  • St. Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands;

For the first choice, there are 2 new islands. But in looking at the offered shore excursions, I didn't really see anything that excited me. I've always wanted to go to Aruba but I'm wondering if that is an island that's better if you visit on a land vacation.

What's what has me concerned about Aruba is that I mostly see things about the natural bridge/arch and the lighthouse, etc and it sounds boring. But maybe there is something I'm missing? Curacao seems like it may be more of a laid back, beach type place. We do like to hit the beach, but only for a short while and usually we combine that with another shore excursion.

For the 2nd choice, I've been to most of the islands's except St. Croix. Having said that, I really liked all of those islands and wouldn't mind going back. I also like that I'm visiting 5 islands instead of 4 (not including San Juan). I've always said I didn't want to pay all that money to fly to San Juan (or anywhere) and basically take the same exact cruise - after all, it only offers 1 new choice of St. Croix. What are people's opinion of St. Croix, especially compared to Aruba and Curacao? How about with a teenagers viewpoint in mind?

Just for a little more information, I'm a single mom in her 30's, who will be cruising with my 17 year old son. We love to cruise because we can do our own thing on the ship (he loves the teen club and sports deck) but still spend time together doing the shore excursions.

Often times we do water excursions even though at home we never go near the water! We've done BOB in St. Thomas, swimming with the turtles in Barbados, Catamaran and snorkeling in Antigua, etc , although I do like the island tours also. Of course, a 17 year old isn't thrilled with only going on island tours so I like to mix it up. I'm hoping to do an ATV excursion with him now that he is 17.

Anyway, anyone who has done one of both of these trips, and has any insights, I would appreciate it. Or maybe tell me what you would do, based on the above listed circumstances regarding having visited the islands, and our family makeup.

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

I'm at a loss and thought I would ask other traveler's their opinion. I've cruised the S, E, and W Caribbean in the past but of course there are a few islands I haven't visited.

I'm looking to take another S. Caribbean cruise out of San Juan on Serenade of the Seas next summer (I think AOS is currently doing these 2 choices). The cruise alternates its destination each week. Below are my 2 choices.

• San Juan, Puerto Rico; (been there 2x's but love it & want to cruise from there again)
  • Willemstad, Curacao;
  • Oranjestad, Aruba;
  • Roseau, Dominica; (been there 1x in 2008)
  • Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas; (been there 2x in 2006 and 2008)

Or

• Castries, St. Lucia; (been there 1x in 2008)[/color]
  • St. John's, Antigua; (been there 1x in 2008)[/color]
  • Philipsburg, St. Maarten; (been there 1x, back in 2006)[/color]

For the first choice, there are 2 new islands. But in looking at the offered shore excursions, I didn't really see anything that excited me. I've always wanted to go to Aruba but I'm wondering if that is an island that's better if you visit on a land vacation.

What's what has me concerned about Aruba is that I mostly see things about the natural bridge/arch and the lighthouse, etc and it sounds boring. But maybe there is something I'm missing? Curacao seems like it may be more of a laid back, beach type place. We do like to hit the beach, but only for a short while and usually we combine that with another shore excursion.

For the 2nd choice, I've been to most of the islands's except St. Croix. Having said that, I really liked all of those islands and wouldn't mind going back. I also like that I'm visiting 5 islands instead of 4 (not including San Juan). I've always said I didn't want to pay all that money to fly to San Juan (or anywhere) and basically take the same exact cruise - after all, it only offers 1 new choice of St. Croix. What are people's opinion of St. Croix, especially compared to Aruba and Curacao? How about with a teenagers viewpoint in mind?

Just for a little more information, I'm a single mom in her 30's, who will be cruising with my 17 year old son. We love to cruise because we can do our own thing on the ship (he loves the teen club and sports deck) but still spend time together doing the shore excursions.

Often times we do water excursions even though at home we never go near the water! We've done BOB in St. Thomas, swimming with the turtles in Barbados, Catamaran and snorkeling in Antigua, etc , although I do like the island tours also. Of course, a 17 year old isn't thrilled with only going on island tours so I like to mix it up. I'm hoping to do an ATV excursion with him now that he is 17.

Anyway, anyone who has done one of both of these trips, and has any insights, I would appreciate it. Or maybe tell me what you would do, based on the above listed circumstances regarding having visited the islands, and our family makeup.

Thanks in advance.

Do this itin

• San Juan, Puerto Rico; (been there 2x but want to cruise from there again)
  • Bridgetown, Barbados; (been there 1x in 2008
  • Castries, St. Lucia; (been there 1x in 2008)
  • St. John's, Antigua; (been there 1x in 2008)
  • Philipsburg, St. Maarten; (been there 1x, back in 2006)

Be sure to take some time to see the forts in San Juan (coming or going) book a tour with Cosol in St. Lucia (must must must!) and go to Harrison's Caves in Barbados (preferably as part of a private tour)

Cosol's tour in St. Lucia really gives you the flavor if the island. You get to sample MANY local eats and you end up at the beach between the Pitons which, I hear, has excellent snorkeling. A GREAT tour.

I could do this itin over and over, I love it!

So far, aside from the tropical beauty of the Caribbean Islands, I don't find ANY of them "interesting"....not into the architecture or history...we go for the beaches!

Aruba is a true "desert" island...aside from landscaped areas, it is NOT the typical "tropical" oasis that most islands are...it looks alot like any desert here--sandy and empty, with a few cactus-type plants....

I'd choose the 1st option, since there are more places you HAVEN'T already seen...at least, it will give you an idea if you'd like to return in the future!

Thanks for your input everyone!

SAS80 - In San Juan we've visited the forts a couple of times and even stayed in downtown San Juan last time for a couple of days, so that we could explore that area on foot. I think this time I may visit the rain forest and do a couple of other things.

Bplazo - Thanks! That's my problem! Either way, they are both good cruises! As long as I'm in the Caribbean, I'm happy!

CB - I love old architecture! That's part of my enjoyment of the Caribbean - they haven't torn down a lot of their past. But part of the reason we do so many water excursions on our cruises is because we absolutely love the beautiful blue water and being able to see clear thru to the bottom! Where I live, the water near out beach is not blue or anywhere close!

I'm starting to lean towards the one that visits St. Lucia, Barbados, and Antigua again (and St. Croix) because I really spent most of the time on the water and didn't get a chance to view the islands. I've heard lots of good things about Cosul tours! But I'm still torn...Aruba seems to be calling my name and I did some additional research on Curacao and it looks beautiful.

I wish I could do a B2B cruise!

I can only speak for the Barbados itinerary as that is all we have done. We loved it though! The islands appealed to me more that the Aruba itinerary, and I really liked that there were more port days.

We also did Cosol and liked it. It is a long day with lots of driving and not a whole lot of time in one place, but it provided a wonderful overview of the island, and that is exactly what we wanted on our first visit. The stop at Jalousie Beach was one of the highlights of our whole trip. An absolutely gorgeous location. Jon Claude was our driver and we loved him. My daughter still talks about him. Cosol is a neat person and puts out a good product, a very funny and hard working guy!

There are so many things to do on every island that I think I could do this itinerary a number of times and be happy (next time I really want to see those planes at Maho Beach!). I'm envious that you are planning! We don't have anything on our horizon yet... but I keep looking!

I'm going to be doing your second choice this January, but I have done that first route before and enjoyed it a lot! We did Jolly Pirates in Aruba then hung out at the beach, and in Curacao, we did my favorite tour yet with Curacao-Actief tours. Check them out....we did the Wonderful World of Water tour, and it was so cool! Howard was the best guide. I think it would be something you & your son would enjoy. But I also think either itinerary will be loads of fun!

Archived