Anytime dining ???

katiecat

Anytime dining is an option for people who prefer to dine whenever they happen to show up; much as you would at a shore side restaurant such as Olive Garden or Red Lobster. You can call ahead and make reservations, but accommodations will be at the discretion of the maitre'd. If you want the same table at the same time each evening, perhaps you would be better off choosing traditional dining.

Does anybody know how this is going to work?

Would you pick your own table & own time for the week?:confused:

Thanks

It works like going to a land-based restaurant. You show up, you're greeted by a host or hostess, you tell her how many are in your group (just you and your partner, others, whatever), and you're seated accordingly. You'd not pick your own table, but your time is your choice -- which is why it's called "anytime"! If you want a specific table and time, then you'd make reservations. I don't know if they'll take them for a week, but you certainly can make reservations the night before, as you're leaving the dining venue.

But if you really want your specific table, time and waiters, then you probably should move to the traditional early or late dining option.

Anytime dining gives you the flexibility to go to dinner when you want to, not at some arbitrary time set by the cruise line. If you're late getting back from an excursion, or doing something on the ship that you don't want to interrupt, or want a nap or drink before dinner, you're free to do all that, without regard for having to be at dinner at a set time. And you don't have to deal with strangers at your dinner table, having to make small talk with folks that might not respond in kind (or might not show up, delaying your service), or that you don't like (or who make it apparent they don't like you!).

My husband and I just returned from a 7 day Carnivale cruise and we did the anytime dining. It was great. When you arrive they ask if you want to dine alone or with company. We always chose with company. They seated us at different tables every night and with different people. It was a great way to meet people and we got friendly with several from dining together. I'd chose that option again. Have fun!

So that brings up the big tipping question. With traditional dining you knew your tips go to your assigned waiter and assistant, with the new anytime dining you have different waiters everytime, so how do the tips work? Any ideas anyone?

We just did your choice dining and loved it. We did however dine almost the exact same time every night and had the same table and same waiter. We only missed one night. Would definately do your choice again.
Thanks for the heads up!:D We're doing the Miracle in May with a CC group!;)

So that brings up the big tipping question. With traditional dining you knew your tips go to your assigned waiter and assistant, with the new anytime dining you have different waiters everytime, so how do the tips work? Any ideas anyone?

The tips are pooled and divided evenly among all the people included in the pool. The cruise line works out the percentages (they seem to be a bit different on each line), and takes care of the distribution.

If you have exceptional service from a particular waiter, you can always hand him/her a tip that night -- an additional tip -- which they'll be able to keep, if you've prepaid your tips (or have them billed to your on-board account).

If you want a specific table and time, then you'd make reservations. I don't know if they'll take them for a week, but you certainly can make reservations the night before, as you're leaving the dining venue.

That is interesting. I was happy when I read posts by people saying that you couldn't make reservations. I'll find out in two months, but I'm hoping they do not.

We just came back from the miracle and did anytime dining. We hated it. We seemed to always eat at 545 when it opened. the first two nights we were seated in the same place. the wait staff was terrible. it took almost 2 hours for the two of us to eat. we just sat and sat waiting for them to come and take our orders and get us the food. Anyway, the third night I asked to be seated elsewhere and we were able to finish dinner alot faster. I did feel you did not get the extra attention you would get if you had assigned seats, like the waiter knowing what you liked. If I ever cruise again I would definitely not do the anytime dining.

...... Anyway, the third night I asked to be seated elsewhere and we were able to finish dinner alot faster. I did feel you did not get the extra attention you would get if you had assigned seats, like the waiter knowing what you liked. If I ever cruise again I would definitely not do the anytime dining.

But don't you see, that's one big advantage of anytime dining! If you don't like your waitstaff, or table, you don't have to sit there every night! You asked to be moved, you were moved. With traditional dining, it's a real hassle to have that happen. I remember one cruise where we were seated at a booth -- and I use a wheelchair! Which means I had to sit at the open end of the booth, the waiters and other passengers had to dodge around me (and most of the time the passengers, at least, were bumping in to me), and although I requested it...repeatedly..there never seemed to be another actual table where I and the 3 others with me could be seated.

There are lots of reasons why I'll never do traditional dining again, but that certainly is one reason that is at the top of the list!

I don't think the tips are pooled. They know who your server is because when you enter the dining room, they ask you if you would like the same server. SO they track it. I think that for each night they allocate it for who serves you. If you don't go - maybe they divide those. It makes sense for them to track it because that way if you increase your dining room then the person who waited on you gets them. Or you could give them cash.

We did not like it either. Ended up taking longer to eat, ended up sitting with the same Anytime diners anyway, the tables were so close together, the flow was off, and not the personal service you get when you sit with same server, even when we requested same server from night before.

Does anybody know how this is going to work?

Would you pick your own table & own time for the week?:confused:

Thanks

HHHHHEEEEELLLLLLLLLLOOOOO katiecat: My experience with anytime dining came on an NCL cruise. It means you could show up at the dining room anytime and be seated after waiting for a time. If they put you at a table with other people you have no say about it except to go to the buffett or the 24-hour resturant. Sometimes you have to wait for long periods of time. However, you do have other options. The buffett, the 24-hour resturant, or room service. They might have a pasta station open for extended periods.

We did this last year on the Legend and have been hooked ever since. You can go from I think 530-930pm. There will be an assigned section of the dinning room for this. Same food as traditional dinning. If you show up at 645pm they will ask you how many to be seated such as 2. Then they will ask do you want to eat alone or with someone. We chose the with someone. We had the same waiter all but 2 nights. We gave our favorite waiter extra money at the end of the trip. If you come and thee is a wait there will be a beeber given out and will go off when your table is ready. We never had a problem with this.

Lexi

• 3 weeks later...

Having done both I would NEVER compare Carnival's "your time dining" with NCL's "freestyle dining". On NCL we always had to wait in a line for 30-45 minutes to eat in one of the main dining rooms and it always seemed busy with people coming and going. We just got off the Imagination and every night we walked right into the Pride dining room never having to wait. We were seated at a table for two by choice. The wait team on the first night weren't very friendly, which happens, so the next night we asked for a different team and hit the jackpot. From then on we requested a table in their area and were seated there. Service was quick and friendly. Most nights we chose to eat around 6:30 to 7:15. Will definitely do this again.

We signed up for Your Time Dining on the Pride. We ate at around 7:30 on each of the 5 nights in the MDR (other 2 nights were at David's). We had 2 teams of waitstaff (one 2 nights and the other 3), both of whom were great. We always asked for a table for 2 and never had to wait for one.

I would never do traditional dining again!

Archived