Tell Me About The Train

gebo

OK, I've heard it's not safe... I'm facinated by the train from Miami to Ft Lauderdale. Where does it start, stop? How much is it? Why does it have a bad reputation? I like trains and will probably end up with the shuttle, but would love to know more about it.

OK, I've heard it's not safe... I'm facinated by the train from Miami to Ft Lauderdale. Where does it start, stop? How much is it? Why does it have a bad reputation? I like trains and will probably end up with the shuttle, but would love to know more about it.

Tri-Rail is a commuter service. Its station locations, car configurations and schedules are not designed to be convenient for airport or port travelers either in Miami or Fort Lauderdale. That said, the trains are quite modern and I do not find them unsafe (but that is not always true of connecting systems in Miami at night).

THe metro mover in miami is what is not safe...and it's just a couple cars,

If you mean Tri-Rail, it isn't that it is unsafe, it is just, as was said, a commuter rail that is NOT usually on time, is not traveler friendly and is really not all that exciting.....

www.tri-rail.com

i can understand loving trains....i do as well...but the tri rail is really no more exciting than any other commuter line......it isn't fun like Amtrak's long distnace trains that's for sure.....

i would not take it is you want to get someplace.....for instance you can go to FLL airport, but you get off the train and onto a shuttle bus, which is ALSO luggage unfriendly!

Tri-Rail is safe, but it's never on time. It's not designed for tourists, it's a commuter train. There's nowhere for you luggage, and the stations are quite some distance from the airports. You'll need to either take a bus or taxi to and from. It's really a major pain, and is best if tourists forget this thing exists. It's not designed for you and is far more trouble than it's worth.

MetroRail and MetroMover in Miami are what is not safe, you take your life into your own hands on those! There have been a lot of muggings and several murders on those.

I actually like Tri-rail to go to the airport, I've done it a few times and never had it late. But, I've only had one bag and I plan my time accordingly in case there were to be a delay.

I wouldn't say it's ALWAYS late.most times if it has been, it's been due to an accident near the tracks from a car, etc.

I wouldn't recommend it if you have a ton of luggage, during "peak"times, or overall for cruisers. It is more for commuters than anything else and if you can't get a seat on the bottom car you have to schlepp upstairs and I doubt you want to leave your luggage unattended. Lots of people with bicycyles on there too during the morning hours.

Metrorail: I wouldn't say it is entirely unsafe either. You might be more comfortble with it during the day. I don't find it to be much different than a subway in an undesriable part of NYC or anywhere else.

I actually like Tri-rail to go to the airport, I've done it a few times and never had it late. But, I've only had one bag and I plan my time accordingly in case there were to be a delay.

I wouldn't say it's ALWAYS late.most times if it has been, it's been due to an accident near the tracks from a car, etc.

I wouldn't recommend it if you have a ton of luggage, during "peak"times, or overall for cruisers. It is more for commuters than anything else and if you can't get a seat on the bottom car you have to schlepp upstairs and I doubt you want to leave your luggage unattended. Lots of people with bicycyles on there too during the morning hours.

Metrorail: I wouldn't say it is entirely unsafe either. You might be more comfortble with it during the day. I don't find it to be much different than a subway in an undesriable part of NYC or anywhere else.

I have been researching online and found a video of travel jounal of the Tri rail from MIA to FLL. If you have only one bag and plan your time, it should be fine. I would have love to rent a car when we arrive after 10 PM and drive ourselves to the Miami hotel, than drive to Port Everglade the next day for our cruise, but for some reason the car rental price has gone up at least two folds.

If anyone can explaine why car rental has gone up so much, please share this info! Unless we can rent a car at a good rate, will try the Tri Rail on the Sunday when we head out to Fort Lauderdale.

We did it a couple years back... took the train from Miami Airport to FLL.... there was 7 of us in all--some were children... we all had one suitcase and a carry-on... surprisingly it was on time-- and really cheap... We did not have a problem with it at all... ( I can see if it was rush hour and you had lots of bags etc.) I think this was on a Saturday morning if I recall. I guess it is up to you-- what you prefer.

We have also used the "people mover" tram in Miami-- not late at night mind you-- but up until about 10pm. Never had any problems at all... of course we have travelled in many different countries-- and lived in "third world" or "developing" countries-- and are pretty street savy when it comes to crime and pick-pockets!

:)

I have been researching online and found a video of travel jounal of the Tri rail from MIA to FLL. If you have only one bag and plan your time, it should be fine. I would have love to rent a car when we arrive after 10 PM and drive ourselves to the Miami hotel, than drive to Port Everglade the next day for our cruise, but for some reason the car rental price has gone up at least two folds.

If anyone can explaine why car rental has gone up so much, please share this info! Unless we can rent a car at a good rate, will try the Tri Rail on the Sunday when we head out to Fort Lauderdale.

How can you agree with Gathina or know the train will be fine if you've never taken the Tri Rail? It is a PIA unless you are familiar with it.

Car rentals have gone up because the car rental companies have shrunk their fleets.

I am willing to try the Tri Rail on the weekend. I know it only run every two hour and may not be on time. Since we have the whole morning to get from Miami to Port Everglades, I think it should be fine.

We have travelled in Europe and enjoy the trains there. If more support is given this rail service, may be improvement can be made to make it more effection and at least on time.

From all the negative posts on the Tri Rail, I gather the locals are very angry with how it is functioning.

well said,so many people are negative,lets hope it keeps getting the custom

BH, you always say it's a PIA..I know you had a bad experience with it that you posted, but your problems are probably the exception and not the rule. One time I took it and it was late,but it wasn't a big deal.

But then again, I am not afraid to take the Metrorail or walk through Little Haiti. Like the other person said, it's all about being smart and using common sense. The trilrail is not the best option for a traveler, but if you are really despearate you could do it if you kept some of the tips in mind.

How can you agree with Gathina or know the train will be fine if you've never taken the Tri Rail? It is a PIA unless you are familiar with it.

Car rentals have gone up because the car rental companies have shrunk their fleets.

I am willing to try the Tri Rail on the weekend. I know it only run every two hour and may not be on time. Since we have the whole morning to get from Miami to Port Everglades, I think it should be fine.

We have travelled in Europe and enjoy the trains there. If more support is given this rail service, may be improvement can be made to make it more effection and at least on time.

From all the negative posts on the Tri Rail, I gather the locals are very angry with how it is functioning.

I've taken the trains in Europe as well. I also love the trains in Europe... Comparing this thing to the trains in Europe is like comparing a Rolls-Royce to a Kia.

Tri-Rail has already failed... It's on life-support but it's days are numbered. It won't be around much longer.

I've taken the trains in Europe as well. I also love the trains in Europe... Comparing this thing to the trains in Europe is like comparing a Rolls-Royce to a Kia.

Tri-Rail has already failed... It's on life-support but it's days are numbered. It won't be around much longer.

From the videos I found on Tri Rail, it seems like a good commuter rail. Actually very pretty in design. Please share your local knowlege and explain why all the negative reviews. As going "Green" is concern, the rail system will be best to move people around a great distance along the Florida coast.

From my research online, they are actually adding another section of the track in-land. So, why the predication for the Tri Rail demise?

From the videos I found on Tri Rail, it seems like a good commuter rail. Actually very pretty in design. Please share your local knowlege and explain why all the negative reviews. As going "Green" is concern, the rail system will be best to move people around a great distance along the Florida coast.

From my research online, they are actually adding another section of the track in-land. So, why the predication for the Tri Rail demise?

I've taken the trains in Europe also and have used public transportation in every big city in the US except LA and I will not use Tri Rail again.

It was underfunded, it had to share tracks with freight trains and would often have to sit for an hour or two at a time while freight trains used the tracks, it was confusing, poorly run, and is not tourist friendly.

There was a recent article in the Miami Herald about how its funding will collapse in 2010.

You said you had all morning to get to your ship. I hope it doesn't take you that long. Maybe you'll find of video of Tri Rail showing you what to do when that happens.

Gathina, can you post tips for this traveler?

WOW super negative stuff here. First off Tri-Rail was never in any danger of being shut down, it might have been scaled back but not cut.

Metrorail, and Metromover are among the safest transportation systems in the country.

Tri-Rail is timely, just not convenient. Yes it does share lines with freight, but it does have a schedule that it keeps. Its not Europe timely but timely enough o properly plan a trip.

Tri-Rail is very popular with commuters in Broward that work in dwntwn Miami

WOW super negative stuff here. First off Tri-Rail was never in any danger of being shut down, it might have been scaled back but not cut.

Metrorail, and Metromover are among the safest transportation systems in the country.

Guess you've missed the murders and muggings on Metrorail.

And yes, Tri-Rail came extremely close to being shut down, if it wasn't for some last minute gov't. stimulous money it would have been shut down as the funding would have run out.

I'm sorry, I agree with TrentS. The last time I rode the MetroMover at night, it was like being on a rolling urinal. MetroRail was initially a reasonably good idea, but very little of the original plan was built because of nearly criminal cost/income projections; as a result, it doesn't really go where a lot of people who live in Miami want or need to go. The big joke, when I still lived in Miami, was that it would certainly make it easier for the criminals who didn't own cars to get to the Dadeland Mall. (I will let those who still live in the area explain that.) The problem with mass transit in a place like Miami (or L.A.) is how big and sprawling it all is. I use buses and subways all the time in NYC (I haven't owned a car here since 1986), but I can't function without a car when we visit our condo in Miami. I have no experience with Tri-Rail, so I will defer to those who do.

Google "metrorail murders" and see how much frightening stuff comes up.

Being that violent crime happens so much on the metrorail, I would not call it one of the safest transportation systems in the country.

Google "metrorail murders" and see how much frightening stuff comes up.

Many transit systems in the world are called "Metrorail" When you Google that you get transit systems in S. Africa, Europe, and others.

There have been 8 security guard fatalities since 1984. All these occurred on the Northern section of the system late at night. The way this is portrayed on these message boards you would think there is a shootout every afternoon.

If you use common sense, you be perfectly safe.

As for the comment about metromover being a urinal, obviously this person hasn't been in Miami for a while, they rolled out brand new cars this year.

Many transit systems in the world are called "Metrorail" When you Google that you get transit systems in S. Africa, Europe, and others.

There have been 8 security guard fatalities since 1984. All these occurred on the Northern section of the system late at night. The way this is portrayed on these message boards you would think there is a shootout every afternoon.

If you use common sense, you be perfectly safe.

As for the comment about metromover being a urinal, obviously this person hasn't been in Miami for a while, they rolled out brand new cars this year.

I'm not going to argue with you about it but both my brother in law and sister both did emergency room rotations at UM/Jackson Memorial and the stories they told me about the metrorail were pretty bad.

The majority of crimes committed do not get reported.

both my brother in law and sister both did emergency room rotations at UM/Jackson Memorial and the stories they told me about the metrorail were pretty bad.

The majority of crimes committed do not get reported.

BlueHerons,

First off let me comment about your blog. A lot of useful information in there to be sure. It takes a lot of time to put that stuff together and I am sure it is appreciated by the folks here.

I just see a lot of negativity here, and it just is NOT the case. From a FIRST HAND point of view. Metrorail and Metromover were my only forms of transportation for many years, I have taken it all hours and it is fine. Like any city you have to be careful and use due diligence.

I still take Metromover daily/nightly.

Frommers, Fodors, Lonely Planet, Lets Go travel guides and others highly recommend the use of Metromover to get to know downtown.

I live, work, and play in Downtown. Why are the supposed 'experts' here so "down" on downtown??? If I were to believe all the posts here, I would never leave my home.

BlueHerons,

I live, work, and play in Downtown. Why are the supposed 'experts' here so "down" on downtown??? If I were to believe all the posts here, I would never leave my home.

I'm not down on downtown at all.

I don't live in Miami but I spend a lot of time there and my sister married into a very prominent Cuban Miami family and I have a bit of an inside track on the politics. I'm also not going to get into a lot of detail here but I know that Miami was built without any planning and that the downtown condo explosion of the late 1990s and early to mid 2000s hurt the area. Areas of downtown that should have been revitalized were not and condos that should not have been built were.

That said you are fortunate to live in the most culturally vibrant city in the United States. You have arts, culture, dining, shopping, attractions, museums, music, arts, theater, and some of the most exciting things happening anywhere happening in Miami.

It makes me insane when a cruiser comes to Miami and refuses to see anything but Bayside. They want to stay at the Holiday Inn, walk over to Bayside and eat at Bubba Gumps or Hardrock, sit outside, then walk back to the Holiday Inn in hopes to see the ships in port in the morning.

Knowing what you know about the culturally diverse melting pot you live in and knowing it has some of the most insanely beautiful geographic areas in the country, doesn't that make you nuts just a little?

And lets not kid ourselves, Miami-Dade's many municipal police departments have many problems. Miami cannot keep up with the massive amounts of illegal immigrants and is reeling from crime problems that started when Castro dumped all the Cubans from the prisions on the beach in Miami. Not to mention organized crime, drugs, prostitution, gangs, and violent crime.

That said, the cruisers that frequent these boards for things to do are many times not savvy travelers, they are tourists. There is a big difference.

I'd like them to see a lot of Miami but not at the expense of their safety because again they are tourists and not savvy travelers.

Archived