Shopping for Jewelry

pbk917

We will be stopping at Juneau, Sitka & Ketchikan. Can anyone recomend the best places to buy jewelry? My wife & daughter like to pick up something reasonable from each cruise we have been on as a memory of the trip.

Trust me, it won't be hard to find a jewlery store in Alaskan ports. The biggest player is Diamonds International, which has a relationship with many/all cruise lines. I don't know that this makes it the best.

We will be stopping at Juneau, Sitka & Ketchikan. Can anyone recomend the best places to buy jewelry? My wife & daughter like to pick up something reasonable from each cruise we have been on as a memory of the trip.

IMHO only if they want a piece of jewelry as a momento check out some of the better stores offernig native made jewelry. There are numerous in Juneau, Sitka and Ketchikan.

In Ketchikan, try Julie's! She is a local, not part of a chain. My wife purchased a very nice ammalite pendant there at a very good price. I am not related to Julie but she comes highly recommended from a co-worker who used to live in Ketchikan. Having done 2 Alaska cruises, we think that the best overall shopping is in Ketchikan.

As mentioned, you will not have trouble finding a jewelry store, as well as jewelry counters in the other local stores.

In fact, one could easily return from an Alaska trip thinking that the number one industry in Alaska is Jewelry.

Just joking, the beauty of the state will wipe that sad memory to the side.

My wife and I have had extremely good luck dealing with Caribbean Gems. They have a store in Ketchikan where we have purchased items and also St. Martin where we also purchased items. We had a recommendation from a fellow cruiser who has been doing business with them for years. We have not been disappointed. Do your homework before you go, check a few places - then visit them - it will be worth it, IMO.

Ed

Archived