Spa treatment for 10 year old?

It's kinda academic. Royal Caribbean hasn't been at all flexible with their age requirements at the best of times, and it stands to reason that they will be even less so in this scenario. No one is going to risk losing their job over the desires of someone's precious snowflake and their parent.

I don't really think that the OP's question is particularly shocking or horrible or anything. That "Toddlers & Tiaras" show (pointed out in post #2) is shocking, and I think my faith in humanity is shaken a little more just from watching a clip. Some parents can be truly creepy, and I now remember why I stopped watching TLC long ago.

As the mother of a 10 year old girl, I find this disturbing. There is no way I would even consider a massage for my DD. I will say that I have only had a massage once, and quite frankly it was horrible! I won't even take DD to get her nails or toes done, I will paint them at home, but I am not about to spend money for her to go to the spa or salon for such a thing.

I am always telling my daughter that we are not friends, we can be friends when she is my age.:rolleyes: Until then, its an autocracy at our house, not a democracy and I make all the rules. So far, it seems to be working.:D

Frankly, I'm cheap. There is little chance that I would purchase myself a massage onboard due to how much more it would be than here at home (plus, it would be a good start for that day off I take before the big trip - get relaxed, leaving work behind). For a kid? Not a chance.

I've only had 3 or 4 massages in my life so this is just not a frequent indulgence for me, but a rare reward.

I get no shivers with any of the creep factor people are bringing up. My expectation is that all in the spa are professionals. Nothing icky happening.

For a mother/daughter thing, they could get their hair done together for formal night, paint their own nails matching colors. the kid is 10, there are far less extravagant ways to share special moments.

In answer to your question NO. And you are probably right, we don't need to discuss further, because I do not see anything wrong with a child enjoying a massage and a parent deciding this is O.K. for their child.

Neither do I. My daughter is 11 years old and we have a mother/daughter massage on the beach while on land vacations. For special occasions she gets here nails, hair and feet done. She is learning there are certain things she should take time to do for herself, for now mama pays for it. She doesn't get designer clothes but she was introduced to a world of travel and some of the things that add value to the occasion. Oh yeah, the mother/daughter pics. I know I am teaching her vanity and her looks shouldn't be important:eek: DH teaches DS things about becoming a gentleman (opening the car door for sis and mom). I teach DD things about becoming a lady. Lovely ladies take time out to do things for herself and I hope she remembers or I am asking for a refund.

Reading some of these posters respond creeps me out. One has to wonder about the mindset of some people. I am more afraid of their way of thinking that anything that could go wrong under my watchful eye.

Okay, I have to chime in here.

Firstly, the lady asked if her 10 year old was able to get a massage, not what everyone's opinion of her parenting is. She is asking if she could, not if she should. If you can't answer her question you just need to leave it alone. You are supposed to be here to give help to people that have a question, not whine and complain about what they are doing with their kid.

Secondly, I went to college for massage and I can assure you that massage for underage people is more normal than you may think. I was taught how to massage infants and children well below the age of 10. It is gentle and soft massage, not deep tissue work. It is meant to relax, soothe, and increase blood flow. And beyond that, massage feels good no matter how old you are. It is programmed into us to feel calm and relaxed from a caring touch, and that is exactly what massage is.

You all seem to have some preconceived notions that massage is something that only adults can enjoy, but the fact of the matter is massage is almost always beneficial, even to children. You are comparing it to things like drinking, smoking, etc. when those things are all harmful to you and don't benefit anyone. Please do a little research before you pass your moral judgments onto others.

I can't believe people would think there is something wrong with a child having a massage. I have taken all 3 of my babies/children for massage and was encouraged to go to classes by my midwives/healthworkers soon after their birth and as they grew older there were mother & child sessions offered at my local leisure centre. My doctor actually attended those classes with her daughter.

Exactly what do people 'think' happens on a massage on a Royal Caribbean Cruise :eek: Some people have some very sick minds IMHO!

To the OP... great idea, go ahead and enjoy!

I don't think there is anything wrong with a 10-y/o having a spa or theraputic massage, as long as a parent is present. However, I do get tired of parents so often requesting that their children be granted exceptions to the various age restrictions. Why is it so hard to say, "These are the age restrictions and when my child meets them, then we will do fill-in-the-blank"? (And yes, I am a parent and, no, I didn't ask for exceptions for age restrictions for our DD when she was growing up.)

The YSPA is listed as for 13 to 17. A 10-y/o isn't anywhere near the age minimum. For liability reasons alone, RCI should not make exceptions of any kind in this situation. Crew members could lose their jobs and the cruise line could have issues with their insurer.

beachchick

its an autocracy at our house, not a democracy and I make all the rules. So far, it seems to be working.:D

Autocracy is good :D But why shouldn't your husband be the one making the rules? After all, he is the man of the house, and democracy isn't for your household as you stated ;)

Autocracy is good :D But why shouldn't your husband be the one making the rules? After all, he is the man of the house, and democracy isn't for your household as you stated ;)

Holy Moly! What century are you living in!!!

Neither do I. My daughter is 11 years old and we have a mother/daughter massage on the beach while on land vacations. For special occasions she gets here nails, hair and feet done. She is learning there are certain things she should take time to do for herself, for now mama pays for it. She doesn't get designer clothes but she was introduced to a world of travel and some of the things that add value to the occasion. Oh yeah, the mother/daughter pics. I know I am teaching her vanity and her looks shouldn't be important:eek: DH teaches DS things about becoming a gentleman (opening the car door for sis and mom). I teach DD things about becoming a lady. Lovely ladies take time out to do things for herself and I hope she remembers or I am asking for a refund.

Reading some of these posters respond creeps me out. One has to wonder about the mindset of some people. I am more afraid of their way of thinking that anything that could go wrong under my watchful eye.

Thank you - you put into much better words what I was trying to say. I've never felt that a masseuse was innapropriate with me, even in 'a darkened room undressed' (not sure why a poster tried to make that sound sinister:p). It's a massage! Makes me wonder what foreplay is to some people....:rolleyes:

Okay, I have to chime in here.

Firstly, the lady asked if her 10 year old was able to get a massage, not what everyone's opinion of her parenting is. She is asking if she could, not if she should. If you can't answer her question you just need to leave it alone. You are supposed to be here to give help to people that have a question, not whine and complain about what they are doing with their kid.

Sounds like this post should close. OP has the answer directly from the RCI page and she can also call, just like I did.

What I cannot fathom is why someone would be willing to spend upwards of $120-150 on a massage for a 10 year old! I can't even justify spending that on myself for a massage on a cruise ship! Especially when I can get a better massage at home for $60!! I am already relaxed on vacation!

Secondly, I went to college for massage did the practitioners on board do so as well? and I can assure you that massage for underage people is more normal than you may think. I was taught how to massage infants and children well below the age of 10. It is gentle and soft massage, not deep tissue work. It is meant to relax, soothe, and increase blood flow. And beyond that, massage feels good no matter how old you are. Unless the practitioner does not know what they are doing or is not trained wellIt is programmed into us to feel calm and relaxed from a caring touch, and that is exactly what massage is.Again if done correctly--not always a guarantee

The difference may be that you went to school to learn how to massage children/infants. I seriously doubt that the practitioners on cruise ships have. And that would be my concern as a parent. I would not have a problem with my child getting a massage from a licensed person who has training in how to deal with and work on children. I WOULD have problems just sending them to anyone w/o knowing their training (on ship or on land).

What I cannot fathom is why someone would be willing to spend upwards of $120-150 on a massage for a 10 year old! I can't even justify spending that on myself for a massage on a cruise ship! Especially when I can get a better massage at home for $60!! I am already relaxed on vacation!

I agree with you on this point although if RCCL allowed a ten year old to get a massage I don't see anything wrong with it but they don't so its a mute point. But I too wonder why anyone would get a massage on a cruise ship. I see a massage therapist on a regular basis, 2 to 3 times per month, and if I could take her in my suitcase when I cruise I would love a massage while on vacation. But in my opinion getting a good massage happens when you become comfortable with your therapist and they know what amount of pressure is going to work for you, don't see how that could happen on a ship. So I definately agree that I get a better massage at home for less money, although I pay $ 95 for 90 minutes.

OK... whether I think it's ok or not for a 10 yr old to get a massage is not the point here....

For me the point is RCL ,thank goodness, restricts the spa to those over a certain age....because for me the encroachment of children in all adult areas venues has permeated our society... this is one place where I can wind down and relax and not hear small children whining,screaming etc etc.:eek:

Are not Adult places scared anymore.... ?what has the world become.. it's really crazy and scary.....!!!!!!!!!!! I just don't understand parents anymore..... they just think they're little ones are entitled to be anywhere irregardless if it's appropriate or not......

Well, that's my rant and I'm sticking to it... keep your kids away from adult venues and the world will be a kinder place:D

CC

The difference may be that you went to school to learn how to massage children/infants. I seriously doubt that the practitioners on cruise ships have. And that would be my concern as a parent. I would not have a problem with my child getting a massage from a licensed person who has training in how to deal with and work on children. I WOULD have problems just sending them to anyone w/o knowing their training (on ship or on land).

No, I did not go to school to learn how to massage infants, but it is in the curriculum for every massage school I have looked into, as is lymphatic massage, massage for the elderly, massage for injuries, sports massage, etc. You have to learn a lot to become a massage therapist, and unless you are licensed you won't be working on a Royal Caribbean cruise.

The problem is that people know very little about massage. Honestly, you could watch someone else massage a child and know enough to do it yourself. It is mostly just gentle rubbing on the muscles to get the blood flowing. No deep work, no hard pressure, etc.

Also keep in mind that you would be in the room with them. If you think they don't know what they are doing then tell them to stop. But trust me, most reputable places are going to know what they are doing.

OK... whether I think it's ok or not for a 10 yr old to get a massage is not the point here....

For me the point is RCL ,thank goodness, restricts the spa to those over a certain age....because for me the encroachment of children in all adult areas venues has permeated our society... this is one place where I can wind down and relax and not hear small children whining,screaming etc etc.:eek:

Are not Adult places scared anymore.... ?what has the world become.. it's really crazy and scary.....!!!!!!!!!!! I just don't understand parents anymore..... they just think they're little ones are entitled to be anywhere irregardless if it's appropriate or not......

Well, that's my rant and I'm sticking to it... keep your kids away from adult venues and the world will be a kinder place:D

CC

Massages are done in private rooms. You won't have any children in there with you when you get your massage. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy kid-free zones as much as the next guy, but a massage clinic is not one of the places kids should be barred from. Children benefit from massage just as much as you do, and to say they shouldn't be allowed to get a massage is pretty selfish.

I assume the ships is charging $120 to $150 for a massage because it has a happy ending? ;) If so, I can see the objection people have to underage people in the spa. However, can't you just book a less expensive "traditional" type massage without the happy ending, or do the cruise ships not offer this?

Do they really have lollipops in the waiting area, or was that just a metaphor for something that went right over my head? :confused:

Thank you - you put into much better words what I was trying to say. I've never felt that a masseuse was innapropriate with me, even in 'a darkened room undressed' (not sure why a poster tried to make that sound sinister:p). It's a massage! Makes me wonder what foreplay is to some people....:rolleyes:

We are not taking them to Victoria Secret at 10. Well that will happen at 16. The lesson, not about sexy but fine lingerie. She will learn it's a wonderful feeling when the most beautiful and expensive piece of clothing she has on, nobody knows but her. I can't beleive some are posting about 'happy endings' on a thread asking about massage for kids. I honeslty thought the OP starting with "my 10 year old daughter" would stop someone making such reference for any reason. I think some of the posters need a cigarette after their post. I know I am sick after reading them:eek:

The same reason some take them on vacation and buy pics for $20 that truly cost about $1. It's not always about the money but the moment shared and the memory created. While some people clearly take vacations and would do this on a weekly basis, for many it's could be once in a lifetime or close to it. Why, maybe a special treat after a 4.0 report card. Yes, bragging here but the triad just ended and all A's , A+ and one B from my lovely 'angels'. The B was in Spanish. The massgae hasn't hurt their brains :-)

The OP asked a question not for advice on parenting, as usual on cc the rude people come out to play!

To the OP, If it says an minimum age from which they do treatments, then I guess they wont massage a younger child, probably due to their insurance cover. If they did agree, I am sure you will be allowed to be present, I dont see why not. Email customer services for advice.

I assume the ships is charging $120 to $150 for a massage because it has a happy ending? ;) If so, I can see the objection people have to underage people in the spa. However, can't you just book a less expensive "traditional" type massage without the happy ending, or do the cruise ships not offer this?

Do they really have lollipops in the waiting area, or was that just a metaphor for something that went right over my head? :confused:

Why would you assume such a thing?????

I've never seen reference to "ship's brothel" nor tipping guidelines for it.

Why would you assume such a thing?????

I've never seen reference to "ship's brothel" nor tipping guidelines for it.

The price for a "massage" seems so much higher on cruise ships than those I have seen in land based spas, so I always figured there must be a little something extra involved. :cool:

I just dont know what to say. We parent her together, but I tend to be the "enforcer" of all the rules. Still ain't a democracy for her.

CC

You must be my kindred spirit! I cringe when I see small children in fine dining establishments. My dinner is often interrupted by crying, whining, and inappropriate behavior by small children. The last thing I want is to be enjoying a spa treatment and have it interrupted by kids running through screaming, or talking loud, or anything else. I don't care how well-behaved your children are, there are those out there who are not! The rules need to be for ALL kids, regardless of their behavior, manners, etc.

Archived