First pass at itinerary.........

perlgirlnj

Please give me feed back and help me fill in the activities on this pre-cruise itinerary. My instinct had been to sign on for an existing tour but you guys talked me into trying it this way, so please help fill out the bare bones here!

Thanks!

Day 1—July 31st—Saturday—Arrive & explore Anchorage. Overnight Anchorage

Day 2—August 1st—Sunday—Drive along Turnagain Arm to Seward. Take Kenai Fjords scenic boat ride in afternoon; need to figure out which ride. Overnight Seward

Day 3—August 2nd—Monday—Seward; Alaska Sea Life Center, hike, Exit Glacier, etc. Overnight Seward

Day 4—August 3rd—Tuesday—Drive from Seward to Talkeetna (maybe 5 hours?). Raft trip or hike in Denali State Park . Explore Talkeetna. Overnight Talkeetna

Day 5—August 4th—Wednesday—AM flightseeing from Talkeetna, then drive to Denali. Go to park visitors’ centers, see dogsled demonstration, do hike or hikes around park entrance. Overnight Denali

Day 6—August 5th—Thursday—Full day park tour Overnight Denali

Day 7—August 6th—Friday—Raft trip if we haven’t already; drive to Anchorage & sightsee. Overnight Anchorage

Day 8—August 7th—Saturday—Bus or train to Whittier, possible whale watching on PWS, board ship. Overnight on ship

IMHO, I like most of it. But your Aug 3rd: realistically, it will be more than 5 hours from Seward to Talkeetna. Some people on a mission could probably make it in ~5 hours, but you're a tourist. I'd budget 8 hours w/ stops for pics, etc.; and if you go under, you go under. Also, I think Denali State Park is like 50 miles past Talkeetna? This is a hard day.

Also, your Aug. 2nd, I don't think you have enough scheduled. Do you like kayaking? Miller's Landing has lots of it. (millerslandingak.com) I do like, though, you've got an easy day followed by a hard day (Aug. 3rd). I do that in my own plans.

The Kenai Fjords tour and the PWS tour I think are a bit redundant. I have no doubt you would enjoy both, though. It's just if I ran out of money or time, one of those would be the first go. There's not a whole lot else to do in Whittier *but* PWS, so....

Please give me feed back and help me fill in the activities on this pre-cruise itinerary. My instinct had been to sign on for an existing tour but you guys talked me into trying it this way, so please help fill out the bare bones here!

Thanks!

Day 2—August 1st—Sunday—Drive along Turnagain Arm to Seward. Take Kenai Fjords scenic boat ride in afternoon; need to figure out which ride. Overnight Seward

Day 3—August 2nd—Monday—Seward; Alaska Sea Life Center, hike, Exit Glacier, etc. Overnight Seward

Day 4—August 3rd—Tuesday—Drive from Seward to Talkeetna (maybe 5 hours?). Raft trip or hike in Denali State Park . Explore Talkeetna. Overnight Talkeetna

Day 5—August 4th—Wednesday—AM flightseeing from Talkeetna, then drive to Denali. Go to park visitors’ centers, see dogsled demonstration, do hike or hikes around park entrance. Overnight Denali

Day 6—August 5th—Thursday—Full day park tour Overnight Denali

Day 7—August 6th—Friday—Raft trip if we haven’t already; drive to Anchorage & sightsee. Overnight Anchorage

Day 8—August 7th—Saturday—Bus or train to Whittier, possible whale watching on PWS, board ship. Overnight on ship

Suggestions- switch your Kenai Fjords trip to day 3, rather than being pressed for time on the drive from Anchorage to be on time for this tour- last available is 2pm. Would offer you more time in Anchorage, Portage Visitor center, lunch at Qwins in Cooper Landing, stops along the Arm etc etc etc. Very doable to go to Exit Glacier, and/or the Sealife Center. You need to look at a Kenai Fjords boat trip of at least 6 hours on the water. There will be an 8am available the next day, 11:30am, 2pm, approx.. There also will be an option for a 9am Northwestern Fjords boat trip to also consider.

I agree, that it can be all day driving Seward/Talkeetna. Determine what stops are of interest to you, plenty available, you can also do some on the return. A major factor, would be how important a McKinley flight is to you??? If a priority, then I would schedule an evening trip day 4. There's not a lot of "exploring" in Talkeetna. I also agree, that I wouldn't be going back and forth to some of the Denali State Park. If your flight goes in the evening, then consider a Denali State park stop on the way to Denali National Park. An excellent hike, that I always enjoy is Little Coal Creek.

For clarification- there isn't any "whale" watching out of Whittier. It's glacier viewing, that is grossly superior to anything seen on your ship. I do disagree, with the above, having done both Prince William Sound boat tours and Kenai Fjords boat tours, they are no similar. Kenai Fjords is a big portion, all about varied wildlife, and PWS boat tours is all about glacier viewing. My averages for whale sightings out of Kenai Fjords is only about 50% of my numerous trips- over 10. If whales are a priority, it is 100% sightings out of Juneau and Hoonah for humpbacks. And about 75% for orcas out of Victoria.

A further comment. You will want to make a grocery stop by Wasilla. There is nothing past there until Fairbanks. Stock up on your drinks/snacks, Denali food, etc etc.

Also check for next year's coupon offers from the purchased coupon books. In the past, there have been two for one offers for McKinley flightseeing, raft tours, Kenai Fjords and PWS boat tours. Can offer significant savings.

I agree that you should take the Kenai Fjords boat tour on Day 3. There is lots to see along the Turnagain Arm that you will want to stop for. You don't want to be rushing to make the boat tour and then miss out on all that there is to see along the way. Here is a link with stops along the way from Anchorage to Seward:

http://alaska.org/driving/seward-drive.htm

Here is a link for Anchorage to Denali:

http://alaska.org/driving/denali-drive.htm

You guys are so helpful! Here's some tweaking. See what you think now.

Day 2—August 1st—Sunday—Drive along Turnagain Arm to Seward. Possible activities en route or in Seward: Girdwood for aerial tram, Portage Glacier visitors center, Exit Glacier, Alaska Sea Life center. (2 ½ hours driving without stops; likely all day with stops.) Overnight Seward

Day 3—August 2nd—Monday—Seward; Take Kenai Fjords scenic boat ride, Exit Glacier & hike if didn’t do this the day before, etc. Recover from seasickness…………. Overnight Seward

Day 4—August 3rd—Tuesday—Drive from Seward to Talkeetna. (250 miles? Expect it to take all day with stops, etc. Stop at Wasilla for snacks & food.) Evening flightseeing trip? Overnight Talkeetna

Day 5—August 4th—Wednesday—Either AM float trip near Talkeetna, then drive to Denali and go to park visitors’ centers, see dogsled demonstration, take hike(s) around park entrance (whatever fits in). OR Drive to Denali & do the stuff above and then do afternoon float trip at Denali. (2 ½ hour drive without stops but will be more like 4 hours or more with stops?) Overnight Denali

Day 6—August 5th—Thursday—Full day park tour. Overnight Denali

Day 7—August 6th—Friday—Raft trip if we haven’t already; drive to Anchorage & sightsee. (5 hour drive?) Overnight Anchorage

Day 8—August 7th—Saturday—Bus or train to Whittier, possible PWS glacier boat trip, board ship. Overnight on ship

Please keep the advice coming!!

We do our own float trips, so haven't gone on the two you would be choosing between...so someone who has done them, please correct me if I'm wrong. But if you're looking for whitewater, I suggest you do a float at Denali...I'm pretty sure that at Talkeetna it's a much milder trip. I would suggest a side trip to Matanuska Glacier with a float trip through Lionshead on the way, but I don't see how you could fit that in.

We do our own float trips, so haven't gone on the two you would be choosing between...so someone who has done them, please correct me if I'm wrong. But if you're looking for whitewater, I suggest you do a float at Denali...I'm pretty sure that at Talkeetna it's a much milder trip. I would suggest a side trip to Matanuska Glacier with a float trip through Lionshead on the way, but I don't see how you could fit that in.

It's very mild out of Talkeetna, and not too exciting. They would have time with your Matanuska suggestion- IF they left Denali Park the day before and overnighted in Talkeetna/Wasilla.

They are underestimating Talkeetna/Denali Park, more like 3++ hours.

Your itinerary is shaping up nicely. If you have time on your way from Talkeetna to Denali, I suggest a stop at Byers Lake. You can access the lake from the Alaska Veteran's Memorial stop. It is a short walk to the lake. We enjoyed this stop very much. We had planned on hiking along the lake, but I was not feeling well that day. Saw some interesting vegetation along the walk to the lake.

I don't like backtracking even if you can take some different roads, so I would land in Anchorage and head for Denali, then start down state from there. You have your longest day from Anchorage to Denali, and then break it up. The float trip at Matsu is really good and that would be included if you cut some of the travel time out. Because I have AK friends, I did it in reverse, landed in Whittier, went to Seward, then Palmer, then Talkeetna, then Denali and home from Fairbanks, but miles and free transport, etc figured into that trip.

Janice

I don't like backtracking even if you can take some different roads, so I would land in Anchorage and head for Denali, then start down state from there. You have your longest day from Anchorage to Denali, and then break it up. The float trip at Matsu is really good and that would be included if you cut some of the travel time out. Because I have AK friends, I did it in reverse, landed in Whittier, went to Seward, then Palmer, then Talkeetna, then Denali and home from Fairbanks, but miles and free transport, etc figured into that trip.

Janice

I agree, backtracking is not the best idea, especially if people have limited time. An alternative would be to get a direct transfer between Whittier and Seward, which is very doable. Would add an amout of time with reworking the overall routing.

It's very mild out of Talkeetna, and not too exciting. They would have time with your Matanuska suggestion- IF they left Denali Park the day before and overnighted in Talkeetna/Wasilla.

They are underestimating Talkeetna/Denali Park, more like 3++ hours.

Yeah, we're going for mild so that's okay. (The last time I did whitewater, I ended up with a broken toe and still haven't worked up the appetite to try it again.) Does anyone have a preference for Talkeetna vs. Denali? I could do mild rapids but really only class II or III, no IV's no matter how much fun anyone says it is!

I'd estimated that this drive would be "2 ½ hour drive without stops but will be more like 4 hours or more with stops". So should I take out the 2 1/2 hour drive estimate and just assume it will be more like the 4 which I'd put as the outside time?

Your itinerary is shaping up nicely. If you have time on your way from Talkeetna to Denali, I suggest a stop at Byers Lake. You can access the lake from the Alaska Veteran's Memorial stop. It is a short walk to the lake. We enjoyed this stop very much. We had planned on hiking along the lake, but I was not feeling well that day. Saw some interesting vegetation along the walk to the lake.

Thanks! I was looking at the Byers Lake hike so I'm glad to hear that it's worth considering. That would certainly add time to the Talkeetna/Denali drive piece so I will plan accordingly.

Janice

This was how I'd started the planning originally, but won't I end up doing some backtracking no matter what if I land in Anchorage and want to go to both Denali (north) and Seward (south)?

I have to end up in Whittier because that's where the ship is. If I land in Fairbanks and work my way south, don't I get hit with a big charge for renting a car one-way (or did I dream this up)?

I agree, backtracking is not the best idea, especially if people have limited time. An alternative would be to get a direct transfer between Whittier and Seward, which is very doable. Would add an amout of time with reworking the overall routing.

Please forgive my dense-ness but I'm not getting how these suggestions would work. Can you spell it out more specifically for me, a poor newbie? :)

This was how I'd started the planning originally, but won't I end up doing some backtracking no matter what if I land in Anchorage and want to go to both Denali (north) and Seward (south)?

I have to end up in Whittier because that's where the ship is. If I land in Fairbanks and work my way south, don't I get hit with a big charge for renting a car one-way (or did I dream this up)?

Please forgive my dense-ness but I'm not getting how these suggestions would work. Can you spell it out more specifically for me, a poor newbie? :)

Perlgirlng,

Yes, you are going to have to do some backtracking no matter what, but there are easier ways to do it and I guess that is what BQ and I are trying to say. Yes, if you fly into FAI you will have an approximately $200 dropoff charge for your rental car. For me that was cheap because I didn't lose a whole day with driving to do that. But even if you don't want to do that.

I would land in ANC and immediately leave for Denali and get the longest leg out of the way. There is adrenalin from the flight and flights arriving usually do not get in that late and it is light until very early AM so driving isn't a problem. I wouldn't schedule the 6 AM bus for the next day, but I probably wouldn't do that no matter what. I would do and see what I wanted to do in Denali and then head to Talkeetna. I don't see the attachment, it is a nice lunch stop but to go there for two and three days seems a bit overkill but your mileage may vary. I would do the Denali float. There are different trips and different launches so you should be able to do there what you want to do. We picnic at Byers and hike all the time and it is a lovely little lake. Stick your toe in and you will see how cold the water in AK is. Coming from MI where lake cabins are almost connected, it is great to see a beautiful little lake with no permanent cabins.

Then if you want to do any glacier walks, hiking, etc, I would head to Palmer, Matsu and do that. It is free there, not a fly-in glacier landing, the mine, etc. I would go to the Portage animal reserve so that you can see what these animals look like up close because you may not get that close to them in Denali no matter how lucky you are. Then I would go to Seward. I am not a big fan of ANC because I am into nature and not big cities. There are lovely things to do there, so again your mileage may vary, but I get into the wild as soon as I can. Then I would go to Seward and finally on to Whittier for cruise. From Seward you could return the rental car to ANC and take various modes of transport to Whittier, or you could get rid of rental car in ANC and take train to Seward, and then PJ's taxi from Seward to Whittier. You will have to price this out versus cost of rental car, train price, what you want in way of experiences, etc. But you really do not need a car for Seward. If you want to go to Turnagain Arm, you can take a taxi very inexpensively (PJs again) and around town walking is great.

BQ is better about the specifics from Talkeetna to Seward and not missing or backtracking. I always have a month or more to do this so I am rarely combining everything jammed into one week.

Maybe it is my age, but I would not head to Denali the same day I arrived in Anchorage. I would spend the night in Anchorage and use that day to help get adjusted to the new time zone. Even though it is light late into the night, if your flight got delayed, you could be very tired making that drive. I am one who always likes to make sure we are well rested for any time we are driving. They do say a tired driver is more dangerous on the road than a drunk driver. That is scary!!

If you did start in Fairbanks, your drop off fee could end up being even more than $200. Lately it seems the car rental agencies increase the daily rate significantly for one way rentals. So you are paying that high rate every day. Some then add on an additional drop off fee. Some people actually book two car rentals. They turn in the costly rental and switch to a lower cost round trip rental when they reach a location it is convenient to do that.

I don't see that much of a problem with your original itinerary. You can divide up the stops going to and coming back from Seward. Another traveller has mentioned that he is taking a taxi from Seward to Whittier. That is a good option if you are short on time, but it is not cheap. I believe he said it $250. It is money well spent if are trying to do as much as you can in a limited time. However, if you are on a limited budget, this may not work.

Lots to think about I know. However, once you have it tweaked to your satisfaction you will have a great trip.

For rafting trips, this company has come highly recommended. They have several different types of tours:

http://www.denalioutdoorcenter.com/

Does anyone have a preference for Talkeetna vs. Denali? I could do mild rapids but really only class II or III, no IV's no matter how much fun anyone says it is!

We did the Scenic Wilderness Tour with Denali Outdoor Center this past July. We chose the mild rafting tour and really enjoyed it. It was very 'mild' and we probably would have enjoyed some more challenging rapids. The scenery was beautiful and a moose crossed the river in front of our raft.

Make sure you have breakfast at The Roadhouse in Talkeetna! Really neat place and the food is good!

Not that it's that significant look at at least 3 hours Talkeetna/Denali Park. You are going to be on a 2 lane road, not a freeway with consistant 65mph+++. All you'll have to do is get behind a couple RV's or get stopped with construction, and the tight timeframes fall apart.

In my opinion, The Nenana, float trips are superior to out out of Talkeetna. AS for Beyer's Lake, it's OK.

I'm not really recommending a one way from Fairbanks. Plenty can be seen and done with a round trip Anchorage, back and forth to Denali Park. The backtracking savings is possible with Seward, and the last day, arranging a direct transfer Seward/Whittier. With that, switching the routing to go to Denali Park first, and Seward last. Could free up some time, as mentioned for the activities available in MatSu/Anchorage.

My list of "stuff" along the way Anchorage/Talkeetna, Eagle River Nature Center, nice trails, Sled Dog Museum in Wasilla- cheap cart rides with Reddington dogs, usually available, Eklutna Spirit House tour- extremely worthwhile and interesting, Musk Ox Farm, detour- Hatcher Pass/Independence Mine- (ONLY enter from the Palmer side, most all car rentals prohibit Willow access), Matanuska glacier trekking- I do NOT recommend going here without a guided tour.

AS for Beyer's Lake, it's OK.

Perhaps it was the fact that we were there on a beautiful sunny day, but for us this was far more than just "OK." It was a beautiful, small lake in a tranquil setting. We loved it and as I said, wished we had been able to hike around it. I know: "different strokes for different folks." Things that were high on people's lists of highlights were not always the same for us. Everyone needs to determine what kinds of things "float their boat" and choose accordingly.

I wouldn't find "backtracking" from Seward to Anchorage any more of a punishment than backtracking from Denali to Anchorage. The scenery is beautiful and worth seeing twice! On the other hand, I still want to drive all the way around the "loop" from Denali to Fairbanks and back to Anchorage via the Richardson and Glenn Highways. We didn't have enough time for it on our first two land trips, so I hope to budget 2 weeks to do so in 2011. And then I want to do a southbound cruise so I can see Vancouver Island during daylight. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pssunshinegal

Who has a guided glacier trek? Where do you meet them? Sorry this is one of those things where you do something because you don't know anything different.

Janice

http://www.micaguides.com/

http://www.novalaska.com/glacier.htm

WOW. That might be worth re-arranging my itinerary to fit it in. Anybody have ideas on how to do that?

If not, is there a port on the cruise that offers a glacier hiking opportunity that looks as gorgeous as that?

Again, WOW.

WOW. That might be worth re-arranging my itinerary to fit it in. Anybody have ideas on how to do that?

If not, is there a port on the cruise that offers a glacier hiking opportunity that looks as gorgeous as that?

Again, WOW.

It may be in Juneau, but otherwise I think that they are all helicopter in and thus more expensive. Should you reverse your plan, got to Denali, and find a day to get from Seward to Whittier to save time, here is where we always stay in Chickaloon and I highly recommend.

Sheep Mountain --- http://www.sheepmountain.com/ Excellent accommodations, gourmet food, and beautiful area for hiking. The owner is a musher and so you can also see the dogs, although he does not put on a "show" or let you ride carts, etc with the dogs.

Janice

It may be in Juneau, but otherwise I think that they are all helicopter in and thus more expensive. Should you reverse your plan, got to Denali, and find a day to get from Seward to Whittier to save time, here is where we always stay in Chickaloon and I highly recommend.

Sheep Mountain --- http://www.sheepmountain.com/ Excellent accommodations, gourmet food, and beautiful area for hiking. The owner is a musher and so you can also see the dogs, although he does not put on a "show" or let you ride carts, etc with the dogs.

Janice

Hmm, things are taking shape in my brain. . .

The easiest way for me to get from Seward to Whittier would be to keep the rental car and return it in Whittier. So how much does it cost additional to rent a car in Anchorage and return it a week later in Whittier?

Hmm, things are taking shape in my brain. . .

The easiest way for me to get from Seward to Whittier would be to keep the rental car and return it in Whittier. So how much does it cost additional to rent a car in Anchorage and return it a week later in Whittier?

According to another poster it will cost you more than $200, but I don't know the specifics. I do know that you can get from Seward to Whittier with PJ's Taxi for $250, which is what I did. You don't need a car in Seward, so I would probably fly into ANC, pick up the rental car, do the northern loop, drop off car in ANC, take train to Seward, see Seward and then have PJ's take you to Whittier. You could price out the rental car, but with Whittier, I think there you are restricted to only one rental agency (Avis I think) that services Whittier, another for Seward (possibly Hertz) but with ANC you can find the cheapest car rental.

Janice

Archived