Now that your big pack of soda is onboard...

Fjumpo

Let me get this straight,you have just spent hundreds or maybe even thousands of dollars for a cruise on luxury liner,packed a cocktail dress and may be a nice suit or a tuxedo and then cheap out by bringing soda or water on board to save the cost of a few drinks.Have i got this right,because it seems wrong to me.:cool:
I can afford to spend thousands of dollars on a cruise because I don't over-pay for things like soda! In addition, there's the convenience of having drinks right there in your cabin.

Let me get this straight,you have just spent hundreds or maybe even thousands of dollars for a cruise on luxury liner,packed a cocktail dress and may be a nice suit or a tuxedo and then cheap out by bringing soda or water on board to save the cost of a few drinks.Have i got this right,because it seems wrong to me.:cool:

Luxury liners don't charge extra for soda, mass market lines likes RCL do.

Dam straight. I'll cheap out at every occasion I feel like and not worry about your snobbery.:rolleyes: Your pejoritive view of this practice seems out of place. Retired Floridians have learned to cheap out in every possible way to extend their retirement dollars. Why do you have issues with what other people chose to do, re. soda pop on their cruise?

Eleven cruises last year, nine this year and many more in the future and when I want a soda I can reach into my fridge and pull one out. A cruise is not a special event for DW and me but a Life Style which I enhance by bringing aboard the things that make our cruise more enjoyable. I do so without a twinge of guilt and maybe with a smattering of glee.

And I don't sail Luxury liners, I sail Royal Caribbean.:D

Sorry if this flaming is a bit harsh, I'll apologise later!

I am contemplating bringing some soda on board. Of course I don't want to pay $2.24 for a can of soda. How does everyone bring it on board? Say I want to bring a 12 pack or a case of soda on board. Do you check it with your luggage or do you carry it on. Isn't it a pain to carry it on with you and have to lug it around the ship until your cabin is ready? We are planning on boarding as soon as possible. Why waste the day somewhere else.

I'm another one who can't start my day w/o my Diet Coke. I drink it in the cabin both in the morning and while I'm getting ready for dinner etc. I have no issues taking it up to the pool deck or WJ if I'm already drinking one. I do purchase them in the MDR and switch to cocktails in the evening.

There are numerous reasons: The cruise line doesn't carry the soda I prefer and that I can drink (yes, ingredients do make a difference for some people); convenience of having what I drink at hand in our cabin; and yes, cost savings as well. However, here's the bottom line: The cruise line allows passengers to bring a reasonable amount of soft drinks and bottled water for onboard consumption, period. They don't say, "To drink in your cabin" or "To drink everywhere except in the MDR" or anything else. If you think it is wrong, then don't do it. Pretty simple logic and unrelated to what we've paid for a cruise or what we wear.

Pointing out the obvious: YOU just said YOU knew where the drinks came from.

Seriously, though, you've probably seen people people breaking all manners of ettiquette rules in the MDR. I vividly remember one dinner with a teenaged boy who ate everything (salad!) with his hands; his mother sat right beside him looking ashamed, but saying nothing. Just because some people have an "anything goes" attitude doesn't mean that they're right to do so.

When one is dining in a formal atmosphere with white tablecloths, candles (well, maybe not candles on the ship, but I'm setting an atmosphere here), wait staff, and all the accoutrements, one does not schlep in one's own beverages to the table as if the meal were a tailgate party or a pig-picking. It's a matter of manners, just like dressing appropriately for the atmosphere, arriving on time, discussing appropriate dinner topics, and using the appropriate silverware. One does not serve oneself in a formal dining situation, and that's what bringing a drink to the table would be. It's a matter of behaving appropriately for the atmosphere.

The buffet is a different story -- it's a casual, serve-yourself atmosphere. The pool deck is certainly okay. But the MDR -- in the evening anyway -- is formal dining, and formal dining does come with certain expectations.

Passengers schlep their own beverages, both those they've brought onboard and those they've purchased in various onboard venues such as bars and lounges, to the MDR all the time. Perhaps you believe that the there should be enough crew members available to carry passengers' partially consumed pre-dinner beverages to their dining room tables for them? There is nothing improper or inappropriate about carrying one's partially consumed beverage into the MDR. It certainly isn't bad manners, and again, the cruise line allows it.

For us it is convenience of having what I want right in my cabin. Personally I wouldn't walk into the MDR with a can of soda pop. A glass of something might suffice.

I agree. We would pour whatever we were drinking into a glass because it's our preference. OTOH, when a passenger orders a soda at one of the bars or lounges, the passenger is served a full can of that soda. I suppose that there are those who think it's wrong/tacky/rude to carry the remains of that can of soda into the dining room--even though it was just purchased through the cruise line and served by a cruise line employee. Maybe some people think others should simply abandon their partially empty can of soda so that they will not look tacky when walking from the dining room door to their table. Heaven forbid that someone with nothing better to do "tsk-tsk" about it.

beachchick

We filled a carry on bag with water and some soda. Check it in with other luggage.

Asked the steward for a bucket.

We stored 4 bottles of water in it on ice.

Truthfully we buy one soda package.

Too much of a hassle carrying that insulated mug around on the ship so I just show the card and get a glass of soda at meals or the bars.

We never even touched our own soda.

Won't bring any soda again...just water.

The refrigerator is pretty full of their soda and candy so hardly any room for our things. I just did not feel right asking the steward to move everything out.

Actually only saw steward first day.

Laura

Pointing out the obvious: YOU just said YOU knew where the drinks came from.

Seriously, though, you've probably seen people people breaking all manners of ettiquette rules in the MDR. I vividly remember one dinner with a teenaged boy who ate everything (salad!) with his hands; his mother sat right beside him looking ashamed, but saying nothing. Just because some people have an "anything goes" attitude doesn't mean that they're right to do so.

When one is dining in a formal atmosphere with white tablecloths, candles (well, maybe not candles on the ship, but I'm setting an atmosphere here), wait staff, and all the accoutrements, one does not schlep in one's own beverages to the table as if the meal were a tailgate party or a pig-picking. It's a matter of manners, just like dressing appropriately for the atmosphere, arriving on time, discussing appropriate dinner topics, and using the appropriate silverware. One does not serve oneself in a formal dining situation, and that's what bringing a drink to the table would be. It's a matter of behaving appropriately for the atmosphere.

The buffet is a different story -- it's a casual, serve-yourself atmosphere. The pool deck is certainly okay. But the MDR -- in the evening anyway -- is formal dining, and formal dining does come with certain expectations.

Correct. I knew where the drinks came from because I was at the bar with the folks who purchased them and then carried them into to dining room. The point being that, EXCEPT FOR THE PEOPLE WHOM YOU ARE WITH, unless someone is stalking you it is highly unlikely that anyone knows the origin of the drink that you are carrying with you into the dining room.

Carrying in a drink hardly equates to a tailgate party. I think it is ridiculous to expect someone to either guzzle or leave a drink behind unfinished just because it is time for dinner. Do you really think that someone carrying in a drink to dinner and some kid eating salid with his hands have anything, even remotely, to do with each other?

. . . OTOH, when a passenger orders a soda at one of the bars or lounges, the passenger is served a full can of that soda. I suppose that there are those who think it's wrong/tacky/rude to carry the remains of that can of soda into the dining room--even though it was just purchased through the cruise line and served by a cruise line employee. Maybe some people think others should simply abandon their partially empty can of soda so that they will not look tacky when walking from the dining room door to their table. Heaven forbid that someone with nothing better to do "tsk-tsk" about it.

beachchick

Is getting a full can of soda something recent? If I'm leaving from the US, I'll usually bring diet DP with me. However, if I'm on a European cruise, I don't bother since diet DP isn't available over there. Anyway, last RC cruise (Legend 13-nt Med) I occasionally wanted a carbonated beverage and drank some Coke. I never got a can. Most of the bars used the fountain gun to dispense a glass. I think the pool bar didn't have the fountain gun for sodas, but they would pour part of the can in a glass over ice. The only way to get a full can of Coke was to take it from the fridge in the room. If I am remembering correctly, the price for a glass was $1.50 + tip and the cans in the fridge were $2 + tip so it was slightly less by the glass but you got less than 12 oz.

Wow, how interesting to read all of your replies and thoughts on this! :)

Please keep 'em coming!

The 12-pack will most likely be joining me onboard, but there will be no pulling out soda cans from my pocktes in the MDR. :p

(And hey, the economy is bad. If RCI can cut costs, so can I... ;))

I've never brought soda on board and not sure if I plan to. However, your title made me laugh out loud. So cute!

Thanks for joining in, your posts and questions are some of the best in this forum.Loved the shorts/blue jean post.Got some great thinking to be done.

Generally bring a case of diet pepsi without caffeine as we are sensitive to caffeine at night. I am too embarassed to bring it into the dining room; however my DH had no problem doing it but I would generally just put it into my handbag. I prefer the crystal light drink packets which are easily brought in. The servers were so OK with it that they generally would have a glass of ice for my husband and my water prepared when we sat down. More often than not, I would forget to bring them with me and we ended up leaving half of it onboard for the steward. Those nights we would just drink water or buy something with less cafeine like soda water.

Passengers schlep their own beverages, both those they've brought onboard and those they've purchased in various onboard venues such as bars and lounges, to the MDR all the time. Perhaps you believe that the there should be enough crew members available to carry passengers' partially consumed pre-dinner beverages to their dining room tables for them? There is nothing improper or inappropriate about carrying one's partially consumed beverage into the MDR. It certainly isn't bad manners, and again, the cruise line allows it.
It's in the same category as wearing jeans or shorts to dinner -- no one's going to point it out, but it isn't really good manners to arrive at a formal dinner dragging along your half-consumed beverage. A lovely, carefully planned formal meal should begin with a fresh beverage in a fresh glass.

I was taught that when I was a child -- multiple times, multiple places -- and it's in my 12-year old's Cotillion handbook. You can argue that you don't care about ettiquette or that you believe good manners are too old-fashioned to matter, but you can't argue that this particular rule isn't considered proper behavior in polite society. It falls into the category of putting your napkin in your lap after your hostess does, using the proper silverware, choosing a wine appropriate to the main dish, etc.

Carrying in a drink hardly equates to a tailgate party. I think it is ridiculous to expect someone to either guzzle or leave a drink behind unfinished just because it is time for dinner. Do you really think that someone carrying in a drink to dinner and some kid eating salid with his hands have anything, even remotely, to do with each other?
Way to miss the point, OceanBoy! When you're going to a formal meal, you don't serve yourself. Bringing your own drink in is doing just that. Dinner guests aren't supposed to carry food around the dining room.

With a little planning, you won't have half a drink left. If you enjoy having a drink at a bar before dinner, I'd suggest paying attention to the time. If you have only ten minutes or so before dinner, it might be a better idea to just wait 'til you reach your table; it's not hard to avoid having half a drink.

Actually, I think the "I like to have a drink before dinner" is a good argument for bringing your own sodas onboard -- it allows you to enjoy that drink in your own room. You can pour yourself just what you want, and you aren't going to care so much if you don't finish it (a store-bought canned soda runs about .20 for me, and I don't mind so much if I waste some).

By the way, I see that plenty of other people also agreed: Bringing your own sodas for the room, etc. is fine . . . but bringing a canned soda into the formal dining room is tacky.

It's in the same category as wearing jeans or shorts to dinner -- no one's going to point it out, but it isn't really good manners to arrive at a formal dinner dragging along your half-consumed beverage. A lovely, carefully planned formal meal should begin with a fresh beverage in a fresh glass.

I was taught that when I was a child -- multiple times, multiple places -- and it's in my 12-year old's Cotillion handbook. You can argue that you don't care about ettiquette or that you believe good manners are too old-fashioned to matter, but you can't argue that this particular rule isn't considered proper behavior in polite society. It falls into the category of putting your napkin in your lap after your hostess does, using the proper silverware, choosing a wine appropriate to the main dish, etc.

Way to miss the point, OceanBoy! When you're going to a formal meal, you don't serve yourself. Bringing your own drink in is doing just that. Dinner guests aren't supposed to carry food around the dining room.

With a little planning, you won't have half a drink left. If you enjoy having a drink at a bar before dinner, I'd suggest paying attention to the time. If you have only ten minutes or so before dinner, it might be a better idea to just wait 'til you reach your table; it's not hard to avoid having half a drink.

Actually, I think the "I like to have a drink before dinner" is a good argument for bringing your own sodas onboard -- it allows you to enjoy that drink in your own room. You can pour yourself just what you want, and you aren't going to care so much if you don't finish it (a store-bought canned soda runs about .20 for me, and I don't mind so much if I waste some).

By the way, I see that plenty of other people also agreed: Bringing your own sodas for the room, etc. is fine . . . but bringing a canned soda into the formal dining room is tacky.

I didn't miss your point. But when I was 12 I was playing football not reading cotillion handbooks.;) As for your timed choriography for pre dinner drinks.... considering how many people can't even show up to dinner on time I suspect that such planning of a pre dinner drink is pretty much out of the question.:D

I do agree with you that walking into the dining room with a can of soda might be a bit too much but carrying a glass of something just doesn't seem like a big deal. It happens in land restaurants plenty. People go to the bar until their table is ready and take their drinks with them into the dining room. I don't see the issue. You do. I guess that it that.

We have a cruise date of 7/4/10 on Liberty of the Seas out of Miami. I have never brought soda or water with me on a cruise. We are driving this time and it seems like a good idea to bring some of my own soda and/or water. Do you have the drinks in a suit case or out, the way they are, when you check in at the terminal? If I can save a few bucks on drinks then why not.

Thanks for any info.

Archived