Boatyard??

actresslp

We've been looking for an affordable area to go to the beach and have lots of options in terms of activities. From what I can see on their website, the Boatyard is it.

Has anyone been to the Boatyard? Is it super crowded? How are the food places? What is the beach like?

• 3 weeks later...

I just returned from a cruise and Barbados was our first stop. The Boatyard is great, however I would suggest you go just a few yards further down the beach to Lobster Alive, a restaurant next to the Boatyard. They have an area in front of their restaurant where you can rent an umbrella and 2 chairs on the beach for $15. Along with those, you get 3 tickets for free rum punch or soda. Well worth it.

It's a little more quiet than the Boatyard, and you can still walk over (just a few yards away) and enjoy the Boatyard's water sports, etc. We love to swim and enjoy water sports, but like to have a quiet spot to rest which is why we chose Lobster Alive for our chairs and umbrellas. It's a nice way to hang out away from the noise and crowds of the Boatyard but still rent their equipment ;).

The beach is incredible, beautiful soft white sand, and the water is warm and crystal clear. The waves are gentle.

Get there around 10:45 since there is a limited number of chairs and umbrellas available to rent there. We arrived at 11 and got one of the last sets left. Lobster Alive's food is great too! Try the flying fish. That with their free rum punch makes for a wonderful lunch. Have fun!!

For those of you who've been, what's the easiest way to get to the Boatyard? I'm assuming taxis and am interested in about how much and how long a ride. Also any reason to be concerned about getting a return taxi to the pier when you're ready to go back to the ship?

For those of you who've been, what's the easiest way to get to the Boatyard? I'm assuming taxis and am interested in about how much and how long a ride. Also any reason to be concerned about getting a return taxi to the pier when you're ready to go back to the ship?

I do not recommend the Boatyard, I went in late March and it was so crowded it was ridiculous. The website states that for your $15.00 entrance fee you will get a lounger, umbrella (if any are available), use of their non-motorized water toys, and a free drink.

When I went there, the cabbie charged $5.00 after he stated at the port that he was the Boatyards free shuttle, And, I don't know why but all traffic is required to go directly through the CROWDED downtown area to get to the beach area. Seriously, you could walk along the shore and get there faster.

When I got to the Boatyard, the girl at the ticket booth told me that all of the beach chairs were taken and if I still wanted to go in I would just have to wait for someone to leave and take their chair, but there would be no discount of the admission price.

I paid the $15.00 and went in, to my horror the beach was wall to wall bodies packed in like sardines, and there were so many people in the water that you couldn't use the rope swing for fear of hitting someone in the water. Because of the crowded condition on the sand you couldn't use the sea trampolines because other customers were using them to sunbathe. I'm not a drinker so usually when I have my occasional beer I get buzzed easily, but the free drink at the Boatyard had zero effect on me what-so-ever.

Please don't waste your time at the Boatyard, it truly is a disappointment.

Jim

HI,

I went to the boartyard in Jan 08. MY DH & I walk from the pier to the Boatyard. It wasn't that far. We went down a path close to the boatyard to the public beach as it's free to use the beach. No reason to pay a fee at the Boatyard. If you need a chair than by all means pay the $15.00. The boatyard does offer a free taxi ride back to the pier. Google their name & you'll find their website.

We didn't find it to be crowded at all. Probably the time of year. It was a cheap relaxing day at the beach.

I am going to checkout other beaches when we sail this Jan. I think I want to experience something a little different this time & it will probably cost a bit more....

Happy Sailing!

Sue

Hi there! Per my post above, I would recommend you head to Lobster Alive for your chairs and umbrella, and then walk over to the Boatyard if you would like to rent equipment for water sports. Lobster Alive is a few yards away from the Boatyard.

If I recall correctly, it was $5-7 each way to get there. There are taxis waiting around the Boatyard and Lobster Alive all day for passengers. Be sure to negotiate your price BEFORE getting into the taxi. Less than a 10 minute ride. Enjoy!

We just returned from a Barbados port stop and were delighted with Lobster Alive. The water was perfect and the beach quieter than next door, the Boatyard. We were seated in a couple of loungers with a great umbrella, not one of those flimsy silky things, and told we would have those plus three complimentary drinks (why three?). We were willing to pay but no one ever came in three hours to take our money and we didn't really want any drinks. I did look at their menu and lobster was $55 US. If you want action, go to Boatyard; if not, go next door.

We just returned from a Barbados port stop and were delighted with Lobster Alive. The water was perfect and the beach quieter than next door, the Boatyard. We were seated in a couple of loungers with a great umbrella, not one of those flimsy silky things, and told we would have those plus three complimentary drinks (why three?). We were willing to pay but no one ever came in three hours to take our money and we didn't really want any drinks. I did look at their menu and lobster was $55 US. If you want action, go to Boatyard; if not, go next door.

Hi Beach Spring! I have to agree that the water was perfect. The reason that you receive 3 vouchers is that you get one for every item rented (2 chairs + 1 umbrella). You can either have a free soda or a rum punch. I have to urge everyone to try Lobster Alive's rum punch- its some of the best I had throughout our whole cruise!

Enjoy:)

I too would like to head someplace that is not as crowded. Faith413 I looked at your travel pics from your latest cruise and I see the pics in Barbados. Where those pics taken at Lobster Alive? If so it looks really beautiful.

We thought about heading to Crane Beach but it seems like it's further and pretty hard to get to without going into a hotel first.

Thanks!:D

We thought about heading to Crane Beach

but it seems like it's further

and pretty hard to get to without going into a hotel first.

Crane's a heck of a lot further out!

Lobster Alive/Boatyard (both on Carlisle Bay)

are immediately the other side of the town center from where your ship is docked.

Crane is 15 miles clear across the other side of the island -a 45 minute drive away

Lobster_s_umbrellas.jpg

These are Lobster Alive's big beach umbrellas!

Lobster_lookout1.jpg

The view from the restaurant, looking out.

Hi Aplmac,

First of all a big THANK YOU!!! For all you do for us here on these boards! You've provided so much info, photos & awesome advice!!! :)

I'm so confused!! I've been to Barbados several times. Been to the Boatyard once & I would love to go to Accra/Rockley Beach I think? I tried to look at a map of Barbados to see where it was located as well as Cranes. I thought it was just south of the Boatyard past needleham point? About how much further is it from the Boatyard? Also is Cranes Bay close Accra too?

Just so confused...I bet you can set me straight!! :)

Thanks so much in advance!!!

Sue

I just figured it out.

It's further than Accra/Rockley. ===> Way further!

Think we will stick with Accra this time around!!!

Don't let the taxi drivers/dispatcher bend your will

and you guys end up somewhere else

-there's a lot of that nonsense going on

(they get paid to take you to 'their' beach, not to Accra/Rockley)

Don't let the taxi drivers/dispatcher bend your will

and you guys end up somewhere else

-there's a lot of that nonsense going on

(they get paid to take you to 'their' beach, not to Accra/Rockley)

Aplmac-

Thanks for the tip! I'll keep that in mind!! Wish we could walk there..LOL We did walk to the Boatyard once.....I think that was far enough!

Sue

I too would like to head someplace that is not as crowded. Faith413 I looked at your travel pics from your latest cruise and I see the pics in Barbados. Where those pics taken at Lobster Alive? If so it looks really beautiful.

We thought about heading to Crane Beach but it seems like it's further and pretty hard to get to without going into a hotel first.

Thanks!:D

Hi Geocat! Yes, those pics were taken at Lobster Alive. It's really beautiful, we had a great day. Well worth the trip and close to the ship! :)

Archived