Which Venice-to-Rome Itinerary?

dag39

So, I'm this close to booking one of two itineraries for next summer, and I'm hoping the CCers can help me choose! Both are from between Venice and Rome, and hit many of the same places, but one is a 7-day and one is a 10-day. The 10-day itinerary, on SDI, is as follows:

3-JUL-2010, Saturday Venice, Italy (Embarkation)

04-JUL-2010, Sunday Split, Croatia

05-JUL-2010, Monday Korcula, Croatia

06-JUL-2010, Tuesday Dubrovnik, Croatia

07-JUL-2010, Wednesday Corfu, Greece

08-JUL-2010, Thursday Corfu, Greece

08-JUL-2010, Thursday Gaios, Paxoi, Greece

09-JUL-2010, Friday Cephalonia, Greece

10-JUL-2010, Saturday Taormina, Sicily, Italy

11-JUL-2010, Sunday Amalfi, Italy

12-JUL-2010, Monday Amalfi, Italy

12-JUL-2010, Monday Capri, Italy

13-JUL-2010, Tuesday Civitavecchia (Rome)

The 7-day, on SDII, is as follows:

19-JUN-2010, Saturday Civitavecchia (Rome), Italy (Embarkation)

20-JUN-2010, Sunday Capri, Italy

21-JUN-2010, Monday Taormina, Sicily, Italy

22-JUN-2010, Tuesday Gaios, Paxoi, Greece

23-JUN-2010, Wednesday Dubrovnik, Croatia

24-JUN-2010, Thursday Korcula, Croatia

25-JUN-2010, Friday Hvar, Croatia

26-JUN-2010, Saturday Venice, Italy (Debarkation)

So, other than the fact that, obviously, more Seadream is better than less Seadream (but also more $$!), does anyone here have an opinion as to whether the longer itinerary is worth it in terms of hitting those extra ports (basically Amalfi and more on the Adriatic/Ionian Greek islands?

I've also looked at the Rome/Venice Seabourn itineraries, but they contain a sea day I'm not terribly interested in and since I know I love SD (did Greek Isles on SDI in 2007), I don't really want to risk trying a new line.

Thanks!

Dan

Hi Dan:

We have only done the Italy destinations (so far) on SD but, as you said, more SD is better so, given the time and expense to get to Europe, we would go with the 10 day in a heartbeat. Greek Isles on SD are on our Bucket List and like what we see about Croatia. Tough choice but its sort of like who do you want a date with, Salma Hayek or Penelope Cruz--no bad choices here.:cool:

All the best,

Jim & Lois.

Jim, I think you nailed it, and not with your "which Spanish-language actress do you prefer?" hypothetical. And, given where the Euro is, a couple of extra days on SD may not even be more expensive than those days in venice (or elsewhere in Italy) when you take into account food, hotel, etc. And this may be our last chance for several years to take a big, two-week trip like this, so we might as well go all out!

What I think we'll do is fly into Venice and hit the ship right away (perhaps we'll spend a night in venice so we don't worry about delays) and then do a post-cruise stop in Tuscany--we'll just get off the boat in Civitavecchia and rent a car and drive up to Tuscan wine country and hang out for a couple days, and then fly home from Rome. I hoping to be able to use miles for the airfare, but award availability is always tough in the summer going to Europe.

And I read your review of your Italian cruise and it's part of what got me excited to make this trip. I'm waiting for James to return from his Club member trip to get his inside take on the itineraries/ports, and then I think we'll book. I do wish that longer trip would go down at least a bit in price to where it would be the same per diem as the shorter trip (it's about $30 higher per diem right now, and multiply that by two people and all 10 days and it's significant).

You have chosen wisely. Wish we were going too. Yes, we really loved the Tuscan part of our SD trip and Cinque Terre was probably our favorite but then it is hard not to like Florence/Pisa, Portofino, Elba, etc. etc. So many trips, so little time.:D

yeah, but it ain't cheap! yowza. I do highly recommend the Greek Isles via SD, Jim. Sailing out of the Bosporus is quite something, and Ephesus and Santorini are two of the most beautiful places I've ever been. Tooling around Santorini in your own lame-looking ATV with barely enough horsepower to make it up the hills is something not to be missed! Incredible physical beauty there.

And the ruins of Ephesus are truly a wonder, and a lot more has been excavated even in the 2 years since we were there.

• 2 weeks later...

Just booked the 10-day from Venice on July 3! Talked to James and he shockingly convinced me do to the longer (more $$ cruise). More time in the Amalfi coast, more time in ports generally (the shorter cruise didn't arrive to many ports until well into the afternoon, and we like to spend the mornings on-shore).

We'll probably arrive in Venice midday Friday (depending on flights) and spend one night there before boarding Saturday afternoon. Post-cruise is still up-in-the-air. Probably one night in Rome then we'll rent a car and head either to Tuscany or all the way up to the Piedmont area for the rest of the week. Now I just need to figure out how to get one of those countdown thingies to work! :)

Just booked the 10-day from Venice on July 3! Talked to James and he shockingly convinced me do to the longer (more $$ cruise). More time in the Amalfi coast, more time in ports generally (the shorter cruise didn't arrive to many ports until well into the afternoon, and we like to spend the mornings on-shore).

We'll probably arrive in Venice midday Friday (depending on flights) and spend one night there before boarding Saturday afternoon. Post-cruise is still up-in-the-air. Probably one night in Rome then we'll rent a car and head either to Tuscany or all the way up to the Piedmont area for the rest of the week. Now I just need to figure out how to get one of those countdown thingies to work! :)

Great choice! I think the countdown clocks only work via Internet Explorer. Can not get it to work with Safari or Firefox.

J.

Great choice! I think the countdown clocks only work via Internet Explorer. Can not get it to work with Safari or Firefox.

J.

Actually I use Firefox on a PC and the countdown works well. DJ's DH uses IE on a PC and his countdown works as well. I wonder if it is a Mac thing:confused:

• 2 weeks later...

Just returned from a Seabourn Spirit cruise from Rome to Venice - stops in Amalfi, Taormina, Kotor, Dubrovnik, Hvar and Venice. Absolutely fabulous in every way - the ship and the ports. LOVED Dubrovnik and wish we had more time in Venice. I would love to do the Greek Isles as well so your 10-day selection is the best. Enjoy!

I actually spoke with James on the phone several times before I finally booked this. His selling of the Amalfi coast was what made me choose this itinerary (since it has stops in Capri and Amalfi with an overnight in Amalfi). Should be incredible.

I just got my flights this week (thanks to Continental's new entry into the Star Alliance, I was able to get biz tix on Lufthansa using miles). The only thing still up-in-the-air is where in Tuscany (or elsewhere in the Italian countryside) we will stay post-cruise.

And, of course, I will do my best to report back afterwards. My wife has a food-centric blog (domesticagenda.blogspot.com) that I suspect will be active during the trip, as well. I'll post here with any relevant links.

Now...if it only weren't 8+ months away!:(

Archived