Dialysis and Cruising

Lynn & Michael

I was wondering if anyone as ever been on Dialysis and went on a non-dialysis cruise?

I priced out a Dialysis cruise and they were so expensive! So now I am planning on booking a regular cruise and have dialysis on the Islands. Carnival is aware of this and I have to fill out a form with Dr’s signature. If anyone has done this, please let me know how it went.

I was wondering if anyone as ever been on Dialysis and went on a non-dialysis cruise?

I priced out a Dialysis cruise and they were so expensive! So now I am planning on booking a regular cruise and have dialysis on the Islands. Carnival is aware of this and I have to fill out a form with Dr’s signature. If anyone has done this, please let me know how it went.

My dad has been on dialysis for many years. When my folks wanted to take a cruise, they looked into the special dialysis cruises. My mom would had paid the same fare as my dad, so they didn't go.

I don't have the info you need but I wanted to convey my best wishes.

Hopefully Barbados. The treatment will cost me, out of pocket $350.00. Insurance will cover 80%. I would also have treatments in San Juan, Insurance will cover all here. Kinda scared about having treatment out of the states.

San Juan, Puerto Rico is part of the States.

There is an article in the AARP mag (DH qualifies) about Natalie Cole. She did dialysis all over the world until she got a kidney transplant.

Check over on the disabilities board. Someone over there should be able to help.

I have a 2 Island back up plan. Just in case the ship could not dock.

You might want a back-up for the back-up. What if there is a storm or other incident that causes a complete flip-flop of itinerary?? I dont know that I would take that risk.

Mark

Hopefully Barbados. The treatment will cost me, out of pocket $350.00. Insurance will cover 80%. I would also have treatments in San Juan, Insurance will cover all here. Kinda scared about having treatment out of the states.

I think you'll find that if you're willing to pay cash on many of these islands at a private clinic, you will find an experience equal to if not better than what you will find in the States.

Why? They use the same standards.

I would be more worried about something going wrong and missing the islands. I hope you will have travel insurance in case a med evac is necessary.

Have you checked with the National Kidney Association about the portable dialysis machines that you can take with you. A few years ago a friend of mine went on a cruise and they loaned her a portable machine, (that was in a briefcase). The dialysis unit where she normally had her procedure done at showed her how to use it and she was fine. If you have someone to go with you, they will show them how to do it. Good Luck!!

Just don't sail in hurricane season or any time the ship experiences propulsion problems. The can and do change the itinerary, so you can't count on going to any particular island.

The chance of that happening is small, but real, so have a backup plan to escape back home if you end up somewhere you did not expect.

Travel insurance may help - beware of pre-existing condition clauses. Many policies will waive the pre-existing if you buy the insurance when you book the cruise.

Archived