Equinox Smoking

ev8876

Can somebody confirm for me if the smoking areas on the Equinox are the same as they are on the Solstice (in particular, is Deck 5 - port side, center ship a designated smoking area)? Thanks.

Attached is the memo that was delivered to staterooms on the EQuinox last month regarding smoking/no smoking restrictions

Equinox Smoking Policy.pdf

• 5 months later...

ev8876,

We are looking at booking rooms 6231 and 6229 on the Solstice. Did you have any issues with noise or smoke coming from deck 5? Also, can people on deck 5 see you on your balcony above?

Thanks

ev8876,

We are looking at booking rooms 6231 and 6229 on the Solstice. Were there any issues with smoke or noise coming from deck 5? I have read reviews saying these rooms may have issues from people making noise and smoking directly below, as well as creaking. Can you shed some light on this, please? Much appreciated!

That's disturbing to hear, particularly if you selected Celebrity for their non smoking policy. As a non smoker, I actually thought there were too many smoking areas on Equinox. Particularly obnoxious was the smoking area between the Solarium and the Pool. Every time the sliding door opened (on the port side) smoke would drift in to the Solarium and it was necessary to hold your breath as you walked between the 2 areas. I took to sticking to the starboard side. I hope Celebrity doesn't expand their smoking areas on future S ships (esp. those sailing out of Europe) and starts enforcing their own policies better.

I would certainly avoid deck 6 on port side. there have been many reports of drifting smoke from others.

For cigar smokers:

I am a dedicated non-smoker but DH likes his daily cigar and abides by the rules.

On Solstice, the area for that is usually quite windy esp. when the ship is at sea It is also unappealing (the lawn smells worse than the cigars at times!) It is not very conducive to enjoying a cigar & brandy but it seems to be spot that won't annoy anyone else--

Too bad they could not find room on such a great ship for one small upscale cigar bar for them--something like the original Michae'ls Club..! We were recently on Navigator of the Seas & they had a very nice cigar bar--indoors & no wind. Also had a nice one on QM 2.

ev8876,

We are looking at booking rooms 6231 and 6229 on the Solstice. Did you have any issues with noise or smoke coming from deck 5? Also, can people on deck 5 see you on your balcony above?

Thanks

We were in 6151 on the Equinox WBTA, and had to move to the starboard side midway through the cruise because of the smoking below us. The area on Deck 5 outside of the theater was directly below us - it was set up with chairs and ashtrays. I don't think there was a similar area midship, where 6231 and 6229 are located.

This was the first time that we booked a balcony stateroom, because of the non-smoking policy. After this experience, we will stick to insides!

We are on the Eclipse Baltic in May and are in a midship (hump) port side cabin, 7221. Granted, we are not on deck 6, but smoke is a concern for me. After reading this forum, I called Captains Club and they assured me that there was NO SMOKING on deck 5 and it would not be a problem for me. She also told me that the ship is almost totally sold out and I could not change my cabin even if there was smoking allowed on deck 5. This was after she spoke to a supervisor and had me on hold for some time. Obviously, even the Captains Club does not know that smoking IS allowed on deck 5!

Attached is the memo that was delivered to staterooms on the EQuinox last month regarding smoking/no smoking restrictions

I'm thinking I may have to change my location now. Perhaps a cabin on the starboard side of the hump wouldn't have any issues with smoking from deck 5?

Can anyone attest to this?

I am a non smoker; and, we were on the Equinox in AQ in December. We never had a problem with smoking. I personally believe that many of these comments are due to the nanny state syndrome. Also, allow me to add that we were on the Ruby this month in a mini suite; and, smoking is permitted on the balconies of this ship; and, again, we never had a problem.

I also am a non smoker and came to Celebrity after many cruises on Princess, Carnival and Royal. We sailed on Celebrity in December and just last week on the Equinox. The reason we jumped ship from the other cruise lines was due to the non smoking policy on Celebrity. Last March we sailed on the Carnival Valor in a Suite (we thought it to be a trip of a lifetime) thought we would order room service and enjoy the perks of the suite. However we were not able to enjoy our suite due to the constant smoking of the people in the cabins above, next to and below us. We would walk into our room and have a cloud of smoke hovering in the air with the balcony door shut, when we opened it we had a wind tunnel of smoke, 3 cheers for the Celebrity smoking policy. There were still people defying the smoking ban on the verandas, funny how they think that if they hide in the back corner of the veranda that other people can't smell the cigars and cigarettes.

I may seem a bit over concerned about this but my son has asthma and the less use of inhalers and medication the better. I respect the right's of smokers when in their spaces so why can they not respect my space. We will sail Celebrity again simply because they are trying to respect non smokers not perfect, but what is?

As a non smoker, I actually thought there were too many smoking areas on Equinox. Particularly obnoxious was the smoking area between the Solarium and the Pool. Every time the sliding door opened (on the port side) smoke would drift in to the Solarium and it was necessary to hold your breath as you walked between the 2 areas. I took to sticking to the starboard side. I hope Celebrity doesn't expand their smoking areas on future S ships (esp. those sailing out of Europe) and starts enforcing their own policies better.

I would certainly avoid deck 6 on port side. there have been many reports of drifting smoke from others.

LOL! I think people would still complain about cigarette smoke even if the smoking area was down in the bowels of the ship, with three sets of doors to go through before entering the designated area!

My primary reason for wanting a smoke-free balcony on this trip is because I have 3 first time cruisers (non-smokers) with me and I want them to have the best cruise possible, so they will go again. I would hate for their first impression of cruising to involve not being able to sit on the balcony because of nicotine central below us. I switched our rooms to the starboard side, just to be safe.

I'm all for people being able to smoke on the ship, just don't make people who don't, have to :)

• 1 month later...

When we sailed on the Solstice, we were in cabin 6231 on Deck 6 (port side) and the smokers were directly below our balcony. There were chairs and ash trays set up for the smokers. We are sailing on the Eclipse this summer in Europe and reserved a cabin on Deck 6 on the opposite side of the ship so that we would not have to deal with that again. Although the smokers could not see you on your deck above, you could hear conversations of the smokers in that area if you were out on your deck. The actual smoke did not bother us. But I worry on a cruise in Europe that there might be significantly more smokers on board so this area could be very busy.

Archived