TA Question

December will be my 10th cruise since April 2005. I have used the same TA every time. People on board always tell me there TA sent them wine or gave them some type of perk. I would not change my TA but was wondering if these little gifts are the norm? We have never got anything

December will be my 10th cruise since April 2005. I have used the same TA every time. People on board always tell me there TA sent them wine or gave them some type of perk. I would not change my TA but was wondering if these little gifts are the norm? We have never got anything

I get 10% of my Cruise Fare as an on board credit.

I don't know if it is normal, but our TA sends us a bottle of wine for each cruise. She works in a brick and mortar local agency.
Somewhere in here I read that TA's get wine at a very good price, close to retail price. I know I had one TA promise us a bottle on our cruise but she never came through. I probably won't use her again. Shouldn't promise what you won't deliver.

Absolutely spot on.

Service does not equate to a bottle of wine that costs a TA a couple of dollars

Yes, service is the key to being a good TA. The bottle(s) of wine is a nice way of saying thank-you for allowing me to serve you. I've used three different TA's. One gave great service and a nice gift. Unfortuately, I couldn't get back to him to take advantage of a special offer and had to use a second TA from his office. The second only did what I asked her to do based on knowledge I had, but she did talk a lot and had a great assistant who was always available to help out. Unfortunately, she promised things she failed to deliver. The third, I had to use because of an offer I recieved ($1000 off) and she was absolutely terrible. I had to tell her everything. After 6 months it was like she was on the first day of the job.. maybe she was. Anyway, I earned that commission.

Our TA, who we found luckily when our car broke down unluckily from Florida after a cruise, the guy fixing our car recommended them. We get great service all the time, on board credit everytime, and a bottle of wine sometimes, but we don't drink so that's cool.

We have used our TA or office for 8 years now and even though we may get an associate on some of our bookings, We have seen a bottle of wine on every cruise. Since DH doesn't drink wine, we usually invite some of our new friends we have met to help us drink it. :) It her way of saying Thank you for allowing her office to assist us. She also works out of a small office, but that isn't important as the service she offers. I read alot of differant opinions on going with a TA or not, liking to be in control, the reality is, even if with a internet TA or Cruise lines, we are all still checking with someone regarding our reservations. The main thing, is what works for each of us and what we are happy with.

Absolutely spot on.

Service does not equate to a bottle of wine that costs a TA a couple of dollars

I beg to differ. I worked as a TA in a brick & mortar agency for several years, and routinely left gifts for my cruising clients. I ordered from the cruise lines' gift department, and NEVER got a discount, even though we were a preferred agency. I had to pay full price for wine/champagne/flower leis in Hawaii/T-shirts/kids' gifts,/cheese & crackers/candy/, champagne and strawberries, etc. For gifts and OBC, I paid with my personal credit card. I always had to pay the full price for any gifts delivered to the client's cabin, and trust me, I NEVER GOT A BOTTLE OF WINE FOR $2.00! I'm really offended by your statement, as I paid out of pocket for these gifts. It may have cost the CRUISE LINE $2.00 for wine, but it cost me about $20.00. So...please direct your cheap wine comment to the cruise line, and not towards TAs like me who paid out-of-pocket for client gifts. I provided good service, and always followed with a phone call. If there were problems, I attempted to correct them. I got quite a lot of repeat business, too. Sorry, but I think your comment was way out of line.

Imsulin, I feel TA's are not given the Credit they deserve. Granted, some people have experienced problems, but feel overall they go out of their way to provide excellant service to their customers. This has been a debated topic & will continue to be, yet personally feel, for those who use a local TA, will continue to receive the personal attention, that you and many other TA's provide. We for one are given that personal attention by our TA, who appreciates our business, keeps me updated with specials, via Email and either she of member of her office is ready to handle any problems or questions.

Thats is very important, your clients are not just a voice on the other end of the line as we would encounter with an online agency. I can go in book our cruises and she already knows out dining times etc. Our last Cruise one of our Roll call members wanted to link our dining, now I could be wrong, but because they booked thru an online Agency, were not able to do so. Even our TA tried at her end but said it had something to do with whom they booked with. Another couple who used a local TA were able to link with us. One of the great services our TA offers here in our So Calif City, is if she has enough going out of the area, she will provide a bus up and back to either San Pedro or San Diego Ports.

Gay

Thats is very important, your clients are not just a voice on the other end of the line as we would encounter with an online agency. I can go in book our cruises and she already knows out dining times etc. Our last Cruise one of our Roll call members wanted to link our dining, now I could be wrong, but because they booked thru an online Agency, were not able to do so. Even our TA tried at her end but said it had something to do with whom they booked with. Another couple who used a local TA were able to link with us. One of the great services our TA offers here in our So Calif City, is if she has enough going out of the area, she will provide a bus up and back to either San Pedro or San Diego Ports.

Gay

You're right. If someone came in who booked with another agency, I couldn't do anything for them. The original agency owns the booking. The client can request that agency turn the booking over to another agency, but that's something I never advised or encouraged. TAs make their money from commission, which they have to split with the owner agency. There were four local travel agencies in our area, and we all worked hard to stay on good terms with each other. We never bad-mouthed each other, and often gave out brochures if another agency was out of them. We never gave out private client information to each other. When vendors came to town, we all met together. It really was the best of TA days back then! Thanks for being loyal to your TA! Happy cruising!

Somewhere in here I read that TA's get wine at a very good price, close to retail price. I know I had one TA promise us a bottle on our cruise but she never came through. I probably won't use her again. Shouldn't promise what you won't deliver.

It is possible the cruise line never delivered the bottle. A few years a go I ordered a bottle of wine for my friends cabin traveling with me. I was a TA as well! By the second day the never got it and I went to voice my concern and guest relations had no record but I did! I was charged for it and had the paperwork so they provided! You never know...

Generally speaking, Yes, receiving a gift of appreciation for your business is probably the norm unless you book really short cruises on the Happy Hour sale at the last minute or are a total jerk.

Your TA might not make enough to afford a gift. Longer cruises give your TA more to work with as does your Crown and Anchor status if all 10 of those are on Royal Caribbean.

If you're a total jerk (you sure don't sound like one :)) they may spend so much time and resources on your bookings that the service they give you IS a perk.

Along those lines, if your TA watches prices carefully and makes sure you get lower prices when they go down (one of THE main reasons wise guests use a good TA), looks for opportunities for a complementary upgrade or other perk and in general does a darn good job for you, is the bottle of wine really all that important?

I mean like if your TA put you in a substantially better position than you started in on the booking and one you without a doubt would not have been in had you booked elsewhere, shouldn't that be considered a win?

I wouldn't throw out your TA over this unless there are other issues to consider.

It is possible the cruise line never delivered the bottle. A few years a go I ordered a bottle of wine for my friends cabin traveling with me. I was a TA as well! By the second day the never got it and I went to voice my concern and guest relations had no record but I did! I was charged for it and had the paperwork so they provided! You never know...

That's happened to me as well. I ordered a gift, paid for it with my CC, and found out later it wasn't delivered. It was embarassing! Went back through the cruise line (on my own time), and it took awhile to straighten out. I got an, "Oh, so sorry", which I said wasn't good enough. I actually got the mistake in writing (we had a very good area sales rep), and client got a future $100.00 OBC on their next cruise. This was on Carnival. Very different experience on another cruise line, where I got no helP at all, even though I was able to Prove I had Paid for it.

The only minor glitch we ever experienced and it was nobodys fault but mother nature, coming up the West Coast from our Panama Cruise on the Sun Princess, we ran into heavy seas out of San Francisco delaying our arrival into Seattle by 2 hrs. As a result many had to have their flights rescheduled, we were ok except we couldn't wait on our Transfer Bus to the Airport and had to take a Cab. Thinking we would be reimbused Cab Fare I called our TA, she gave me the # to Call for Princess, well we ended up getting credit back on the intire Transfer fees. I never expected that since we had already used most of it with our arrival into Ft lauderdale, transportation to the Hotel then Cruise Ship next AM. Only remaining Transfer was back to the Seattle Airport. ( 17 Day Panama-- Ft Laud to Seattle Cruise).

That's happened to me as well. I ordered a gift, paid for it with my CC, and found out later it wasn't delivered. It was embarassing! Went back through the cruise line (on my own time), and it took awhile to straighten out. I got an, "Oh, so sorry", which I said wasn't good enough. I actually got the mistake in writing (we had a very good area sales rep), and client got a future $100.00 OBC on their next cruise. This was on Carnival. Very different experience on another cruise line, where I got no helP at all, even though I was able to Prove I had Paid for it.

Chris as I posted I would not leave my agent. Most of my cruises are 7 days. I did a few 5 days also. They are all with RC. I also book my flights through the TA. So I think my buisness is worth it. But he is a excellent TA. I was just curious what other people get.

The only minor glitch we ever experienced and it was nobodys fault but mother nature, coming up the West Coast from our Panama Cruise on the Sun Princess, we ran into heavy seas out of San Francisco delaying our arrival into Seattle by 2 hrs. As a result many had to have their flights rescheduled, we were ok except we couldn't wait on our Transfer Bus to the Airport and had to take a Cab. Thinking we would be reimbused Cab Fare I called our TA, she gave me the # to Call for Princess, well we ended up getting credit back on the intire Transfer fees. I never expected that since we had already used most of it with our arrival into Ft lauderdale, transportation to the Hotel then Cruise Ship next AM. Only remaining Transfer was back to the Seattle Airport. ( 17 Day Panama-- Ft Laud to Seattle Cruise).

Good for Princess! I didn't have such good luck with them, but glad you did! There were occasional glitches with one thing or another, which is why I always made a post-cruise follow-up phone call. Most of the time, issues were satisfactorily resolved. However, some cruise lines were not so cooperative, while others were very ready to make amendments.

Archived