Outrigger Canoe Rides

mgasaway

Has anyone recently done one of the outrigger canoe rides that are offered on the beach in Waikiki? If so, how was the ride? Is it mild or wild? If it's too wild DH will not go. Do you stay put on the canoe or do you end up in the water? I'd love to try it but need more info to talk him into it.

The outrigger canoe rides at waikiki are sooooooo much fun. I have NEVER seen anyone end up in the water. The outriggers are very safe and they do not take people out if the conditions are not good, this includes if there are absolutely no waves and the ride would be a waste of money. HAVE FUN!! Cherie

Where do you find them, and what is the cost? Thanks

You'll see them along the stretch of Waikiki Beach behind the Moana Surfrider, Outrigger Waikiki and Royal Hawaiian hotels.

It's $15 for adults, $10 for children, minimum of 5 passengers, but if there's only 1 or 2 of you the wait is never very long for others to show up. They're extremely popular.

http://waikikibeachservices.com/outrigger-canoe-surfing.asp

Thanks so much! I had no idea what the experience would be like!

We are staying at Courtyard Marriott a couple of blocks from the beach. Is it near there? Thanks again!

It's a 5-6 block walk, it's not very far.

Thanks. I guess we'll have to ask at the hotel, or someone on the beach. Don't know whether to turn right or left from our approach to the beach.

Left... From the Courtyard walk toward the beach to Kalakaua Ave., cross to the beach side and turn left. The easiest way is to walk toward Diamond Head on Kalakaua to the Outrigger Waikiki, walk through the lobby and out to the beach behind Dukes, and you can't miss them.

This is not something that you need to pre-book is it? I really want to do this while we are in Waikiki. It looks so fun!!! We should have a group of 5 by ourselves so that will be easy. I think the kids will love it. My mother in law won't go because she does not know how to swim but she can watch from shore and take pictures. We are staying at the Waikiki Resort Hotel. Does anybody know if this is far from where we are staying????

You could reserve one for your group since you have that many, but it's not necessary. If you just go down there, you'll see them out on the beach. They're very popular, but it's very much a spur of the moment "hey, that looks like fun" type of decision for most people.

From Waikiki Beach Resort walk a block to the beach, turn right and walk about 3 blocks to the area behind the Moana Surfrider, Outrigger Waikiki, & Royal Hawaiian hotels. Tell the Beach Boys what you want to do and they'll take care of you.

Trent- Thanks for the directions. We will be sure to head over there when we are in Waikiki in December. Do you know if they also have places that I can find to do surf lessons for my girls while we are over there? I have not booked that in advance because I am not sure what afternoon we are fitting that in. I was hoping to find surf lessons as a spur of the moment type thing.

I can't recommend surf lessons for an afternoon. It is NOT easy to surf, and falling off over and over is not fun. It takes most people several weeks just to stand upright for a minute on mild waves. Think of ice skating, or skiing which are much easier than surfing -- how many people get up on skates or skis and stay up when they first try? What IS tremendous fun and a rush and a great family experience is body-surfing on a small board that you hug -- catch that wave and it's really great. You can body surf in 5 minutes. If you buy a body board, it's probably going to be less than $10, and it's tradition to just leave them at the tide line for others when body-surf afternoon is over.

Enjoy!

Trent- Thanks for the directions. We will be sure to head over there when we are in Waikiki in December. Do you know if they also have places that I can find to do surf lessons for my girls while we are over there? I have not booked that in advance because I am not sure what afternoon we are fitting that in. I was hoping to find surf lessons as a spur of the moment type thing.

The same place as the outrigger canoe rides also does surfing lessons. For adults yes, it takes a bit longer, but for kids you would be amazed how quickly they pick it up. The Beach Boys are great with kids, and Waikiki is a great location for beginners... http://waikikibeachservices.com/surfing-lessons.asp

We are only plannig to have the kids do the surf lessons, not the adults. One of my friends did a surf lesson with her daughter a few weeks ago. She said that her daughter had a blast but that she was sore for days afterwards. LOL! I don't want to spend my vacation with aching muscles! We will definitely find Waikiki Beach Services and get our girls up on surf boards while we are there!

We are only plannig to have the kids do the surf lessons, not the adults. One of my friends did a surf lesson with her daughter a few weeks ago. She said that her daughter had a blast but that she was sore for days afterwards. LOL! I don't want to spend my vacation with aching muscles! We will definitely find Waikiki Beach Services and get our girls up on surf boards while we are there!

You will love the outrigger rides and it is easy for someone to watch from the beach and take pictures. There are surf lessons available on Waikiki beach and the waves are great to learn on. You and the kids will have so much fun. I learned when I was 40 and the kids were 4, 6, and 8. I don't think there is an easier place to learn than Waikiki (unless in Lahaina) because the waves are gentle and not as difficult to catch. You will have sooooo much fun on Waikiki. Cherie

Thanks again for all this valuable information. I have transfered it all to the outline of activities that we are going to print out and bring with us. The kids are really excited about the surfing lessons and I am totally psyched about the outrigger canoe rides!

How early do you suppose they are on the beach? or how late on the beach in the afternoon?

Arriving from the east coast of the mainland we'll liable to be up really early!

Is there a good place for breakfast and to get some diet 7up to take on the ship nearby Courtyard? (I know, we can ask at the hotel).

Also are we near or far from the statue of Duke Kahanamoku on Waikiki Beach? I understand there is a free hula show at sunset. True?

Thanks

Archived