Room Service Charges and Tipping

kstmbjm

I often order a drink in my room in the wee hours. I understand that there will now be a small fee for this, which I don't mind. But I have a few questions...1) how much is the fee? 2) will I be billed for the added fee PLUS the "already-added" bar tip? 2) Either way, is a tip still expected? In other words, is the fee a guaranteed tip to the person who brings my drink, or is it a charge from food services?

It occurs to me that if I order my customary virgin pina colada (usually $4.95), then add what I've heard is a fee of around $4 to have it delivered after midnight, add to that a 15% automatic tip plus the $2 I tip room service, I will have a very expensive drink on my hands.

I would also appreciate feedback on your tipping practices for room service. In my situation, I travel alone so the orders are small, often consisting of one drink from the bar. I also somtimes order items from the room service menu or breakfast. In the past, I have always tipped $2 to the the person who brings my food or drink, whether they are bringing my breakfast or bringing me a drink from the bar (where 15% has been added....I assume that 15% goes to the bartender who made the drink, not the person bringing it.)

Do you think $2 per visit is enough? How does this compare with what you do?

You will be chaged the $3.95 as well as the drink + 15% gratuity.

I was informed the late night charge is to help with waste and ensure that the servers who have volunteered their time after perfroming their regular duties, get something out of it. I was told that often during the hours of 12-5am people fell asleep before their order would arrive and then it became a waste, as well as a fair % of orderers did not tip during that time.

So the charge was insitited to dicourage wastefull ordering and help the servers get something out of it. So i am not sure that a tip is necessary at this hour but i still do it to make sure that the server gets something

Normal tip i think is fair:

Small order $2 (drinks/Snacks)

Large Order $4-$5 (dinner in the room)

Extreemly large orders $10 (Like dinner for the family if one is present)

Archived